1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Segway head dies on scooter in cliff plunge

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World News & Rumors' started by Tink, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Jimi Heselden, the owner of Segway, has died after riding one of the scooters off a cliff and into a river, according to reports.

According to the BBC:

Heselden, 61, died yesterday after crashing into the River Wharfe. The incident took place on his West Yorkshire estate and has thus far been deemed an accident. Segways are not legal to use on British roads and are restricted to use on private property.

Heselden, who had already been an investor in the U.K. Segway dealership, bought the company at the end of 2009. The devices were launched in 2001 by inventor Dean Kamen, eliciting claims of revolutionizing transport at the time but ultimately failing to catch on beyond a niche base of tour groups and the wealthy.

This story, "Segway chief dies in cliff plunge," originally appeared on ZDNet UK.
  2. gwennie81

gwennie81 Earning my ears

Oh no! I did the Segway tour at Epcot and had THE BEST experience! I think Segways are totally fun and would be a great form of transportation around an easily walkable community.
  3. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Us too, Gwennie. We really enjoyed the tour. :yes: We want to do the one at Ft. Wilderness now!
  4. Keith

Keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I genuinely believe that too!