1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Seriously.....

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by Skywatcher, May 10, 2009.

1. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

AOL is such a pain in the ass really is. its funny how some people have problems and some dont, not sure if its just the hardware thats not good in whatever brand of lappy.......now its sounding like windows is **** :lol: but i really have had no problems with vista whatsoever. to that i will add there are laptops and there are laptop, and you only get what you pay for. im a big fan of vista, but it still doesnt stop me from wanting a mac too as i have done for a few years still looking on ebay lol

2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Well man love should be the highlight of many a person's life! :yes: :D :D

Vista! Mick, I have to tell you, I've had nothing but the worst trouble with Vista. Thank heaven, thank heaven, thank heaven that work took it off and we are running xp.

As for the bite from the apple? The tree of all knowledge, eh? :yes: :D :D Not to mention it was a woman that had the courage to eat the fruit from the tree, but we won't go there! :lol:

Apple is wicked intuitive, that is why here in this country they took off in schools so very fast. :yes: Plus, they were a great price for institutions. Even SU was an Apple school. :yes:

3. ukwdwnut

yeah i know macs are huge over there, every pc you see on tv is a mac :) i know they are great machines ive never doubted that, and one of the things thats so good about them is that they suffer no viruses that has to be a good thing. we have no macs in the school whatsoever. as i said funny how some people have problems and others dont

OK I GIVE IN MACS ARE BETTER THAN PC's

:lol:

4. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

:lol: :hug2:

Mick! I do so love your spirit, sense of humor and willingness to see the other person's point of view!!! :yes: :hug2:

5. ukwdwnut

:lol: very rare will i say no your wrong, everyone has their own opinions and experiences which has been good or bad :)

sometimes i will just go against somethings said on purpose to have a laugh and a bit of a wind up BUT will alway say after....its all fun....sorry i just have a warped sense of humour sometimes

:surrender: :surrender: :surrender: :surrender: :surrender: :surrender: :surrender:

:hug2::hug2:

6. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

:thud: Surely the apocalypse is coming?!

7. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

I don't know if any of you have seen it, but Apple has been running PC vs. Mac ads on various internet media sites. Here's a couple of interesting ones I think. Rather an interesting use of "new media":

This from the "Wired" web site:
    <center>
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OlkLuuxmPOQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OlkLuuxmPOQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    </center>

And this from the NY Times web site:
    <center>
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wzWLUknuI-I&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wzWLUknuI-I&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    </center>

Fascinating!

Tom :)macwave:... who's easily entertained!)

8. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

He's so busy playing with the new toy he's forgotten about the half-finished trip report... :evil:

9. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

Or perhaps the rest of it is in a stunning iMovie presentation?! :unsure:

10. catrancher

If you haven't gotten it yet, Apple now has a Back to School special going. Buy a Mac and get a free iPod Touch. Details here.

HTH

Tom :)macwave:... OK. Now that's done, cocktail anyone?)

11. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

Well DD Alex is off to her prom tomorrow night and we are popping over to the Apple store at MacArthur Mall to get her her Ibook. Tom I went to the site last night and yup...a free touch..well the 8 gig one anyway. You can pay $70 and get the 16 gig one or something like a hundred more and get the 32 version.

So we are looking at the 13 in MacBook 2.4 ghz 2GB DDR3 RAM, 250 GB hard drive and 3 years of Apple Care.

Now for you Mac Folks..very important question :unsure: Maybe deserves its own post...

I works or the Office Suite? Any experiences with them? Short comings?

12. catrancher

iWork or MS Office? :questionmark:

For me, it's no contest. iWork win's hands down. iWork is so much more elegant than Office it's not even funny. And, you can do things with iWork that you can only dream about with MS Office. iWork has the capability of reading Office documents so if someone sends her a Word document, she can read and edit it in the iWork version of Word (called Pages). Seriously, I have both iWork and MS Office on my Mac. I've had Office since before Apple released iWork. Since I've gotten iWork, I've only had one time that I've "had" to use Office. And that was because someone had insisted on putting what's called an ActiveX control into an Excel spreadsheet. Other than that, I don't touch MS Office any more on my Mac.

Ohhh... and iWork is significantly less expensive than MS Office. :yes:

Tom :)macwave:... she'll love Keynote, Pages, and Numbers... the iWork applications)

13. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

iWork for me too, it's a joy to use :yes:

14. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

I was thinking that way Keith and Tom. Def. leaning that way. I read the reviews for both software titles on the Apple pages and there were a lot of unhappy Office users - kept locking up and losing stuff.

The cost is a big difference. The education bundle for the I works cost $71 with a $30 off coupon for college bound students. Hard to pass it up. Only down side is after talking to her university, most students have Office and the help desk is sort of set up to support MS. Maybe it needs it and Iworks doesn't?:wiggle:

I know they have a presentation title, sort of like Powerpoint. Is it easy to use and can you run PP on Iworks? Seems like most presentations for class are done on PPoint.

15. catrancher

The iWork version of PowerPoint is called Keynote. And yes, you can use it to read or edit PowerPoint presentations. Even save the edited presentation in PowerPoint format so if you have to give the presentation back to someone who only has Office, it will still work.

Here's the actual breakdown of the applications:
    • Word processing in MS Office is "Word"; in iWork, it's "Pages"
    • Spreadsheet in MS Office is "Excel"; in iWork, it's "Numbers"
    • Presentation in MS Office is "PowerPoint"; in iWork it's "Keynote"

Hope this helps! Let me know if you need more information.

Tom :)macwave:... more Apple goodness!)

16. keith

Keynote in iwork will do PP :yes:

Office on a mac is a nightmare for me :( only thing that doesnt work well on a mac for me in fact. Almost every time I install it I get database errors within a few days. I mean I hardly use it so how it gets corrupted I dont know.

iWork is just a joy to use by comparison

17. catrancher

Oh... and one other thing (with apologies to Steve Jobs).

PDF (as in Adobe PDF) is a native file format on the Mac. What this means and the benefit it has is that if she creates presentations, documents, or anything in iWork or any other program (even Office), she can create a PDF of that document as easily as if she were printing it. In fact, that's exactly how you do it. You choose "Print" off the menu but instead of hitting the "OK" button in the Print dialog box, you choose another option that's there called "Save as PDF". Then any document she'd produce could be read universally.

Quite handy actually. :yes:

Tom :)macwave:... who's not above stealing a good tag line!)

18. keith

yep yep yep

Easy to read this and not understand how significant it is. On the pc I'm forever having web browser crashes with adobe pdf reader. The mac reads/writes pdfs natively as Tom says and this makes it ideal for document sharing.

Tom, I'm SURE we should be on commission?

19. ukwdwnut

you should be on something, thats for sure :wink: :laugh:

20. keith

:lol:

You will all become one with the mac. Resistance is futile.