1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

should I get a US bank account?

Discussion in 'General' started by disneymom, Jun 6, 2011.

1. disneymom

disneymom Imagineer

I've read that people sometimes get US bank accounts, I'm not sure if it helps to save dollars there? or if it makes it easier to pay for things or what really? could someone tell me the advantages and where/how to get an account?

2. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

We opened a US bank account when we bought our villa, mainly so that we could pay for the utility bills on line.
    I find that it is great having a US account as we tend to send over cash when the exchange rate is favourable so that when we are there it makes no difference to us what the £/$ exchange rate is at the time as the $$`s are already in the account so we can use our US bank card for purchases or to withdraw cash without it costing a fortune :thumbsup:

Opening an account over there was easy peasy. In fact you could probably just walk into a bank over there and get it sorted there and then so long as you have proof of identity etc.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  3. Lisa1976

Lisa1976 Addicted to Mickey

We have a US account with Sun Trust. It's great for us, I can transfer money into it via Paypal which is free of charge to do. We then use it for our DVC payments and spends when we're in Orlando.

4. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

In a past life I was a teller at a couple of banks (not the at the following bank though), and from what I've experienced as a customer I feel that Bank of America is a horrible bank. I do not recommend them.

5. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Who would you recommend ?

6. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

I`m with Regions Bank [previously AMSouth Bank], and I find them very good to deal with. :thumbsup:
    It`s also good that they have a branch at Champions Gate which is near to where our villa is located. :yes:

7. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

Down in FL I changed from Bank of America to Wachovia. I then continued my banking with them in IL, as they were that good.

They have recently merged with Wells Fargo and will be losing their name. I have had fantastic service with them and will continue to stay with them until I feel that their services have lost something due to becoming Wells Fargo.

I will be moving to WV and they do not have a bank there, one of the few states that they don't. I asked about atm fees and they said that they want to keep me as a customer and would waive my fees since I will be living there with no chance of finding one of their atms. Good customer service.

Also, I am not harrassed regarding opening other accounts, getting credit cards or any other item that I don't need, nor want. :yes:

8. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

One thing you need to be aware of with most American Banks is the fees that they charge you if you don't make regular deposits or keep a certain amount in the account. They also may charge ATM fees that may or may not be refundable by your own bank if you use an ATM not owned by that bank. Sometimes you may even have to pay two ATM fees, one levied by your bank for using a strange bank and one by the bank from which you withdraw.

9. Lisa1976

Lisa1976 Addicted to Mickey

I can't recommend Sun Trust enough. They have a huge bank over the road from from Downtown Disney and have always been very helpful when I've spoken to them on the phone.

We have a free saver account with them. Opened it over the counter when we were in Orlando three years ago now. There are no minimum payments, no monthly fees and you can check your balances online. They even have an iPhone app which I've got, can check my balances on it too!