1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Should I pay more for a deluxe?

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by chipndale, May 6, 2010.

1. chipndale

chipndale Imagineer

Question to anyone whos stayed at the value and deluxe resorts in Disney. Do you think the extra money for the deluxe is worth it?

I know youre going to say its upto me which it is but Id like some advice on what makes the deluxes worth more. If they were identical to values no one would pay more right so there must be something!

2. daveann

daveann Addicted to Mickey

this is my personal opinion ................. i would pay for the view of a park and the fact they are closer to the parks also the fact they are more of a hotel style with internal corridors so you dont here everyones feet going past your door also the rooms have thoose extra touches. the food options tend to be better also (sorry dont like cattle market school dinning room type place) as i say thats my personal opinion :)

3. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

i don't tend to see the hotels as value, mod, deluxe but go on their theming. I love the all starts just as much as the deluxe hotels i have stayed in. Lots of people don't spend long in their rooms so feel it's a waste to spend more on a room, others disagree.

where were you thinking of?

4. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

i dont fancy any of the values, but id defo want to stay at any of the moderates they all look fantasmic, deluxes are way out of my financial scope sadly

5. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

We have stayed in all three ranges. Most of the time the only reason we use our room is to sleep, so the value works well for us. We will be staying in a mod in October. Normally we only pick a deluxe if we get a super price on it. For example, when the Shades Of Green was being remodeled, we got the GF for the unheard of price of $99/night. Using our AP we can normally get a value for between $74-84/night where as about the cheapest deluxe would be around $180-200/night so you can see there is quite a savings when you mostly use the room to sleep.

6. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

we got the contemporary for $99 at the same time too John:thumbsup: great deal

7. ukwdwnut

where do you get your prices from brit?

8. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

It was the same deal as John's as Shades of Green was being refurbished we got offered good rates at other hotels.

9. ukwdwnut

ok, SoG is the forces site right, and is that heavily discounted because its forces??

10. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Mick it is probably the best priced deluxe at WDW and you don't have to pay the taxes. Yes it is for the forces. However, as a Department of Defense Civilian worker I can also use it. While it was being refurbished, while it wasn't closed, it was very difficult to get a reservation. They were offering some tremendous deals at Disney's Deluxe Resorts as a result. They will still make these offers if they are booked solid. They just may not be quite that good again.

11. ukwdwnut

ok thx john...great price that...at those rates i could stay onsite for the whole two weeks, as its just a tad more than 2 weeks at a villa...shame i wont get those rates eh!!! lol

12. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

It is discounted but not greatly I don't think, rooms are larger but you could be at any resort in Orlando from the pictures. It's also priced according to rank so $95-121 for a basic room. A suite is just under $300 a night.

To be honest I wouldn't want to holiday with the forces too!

13. Clare-Swindlehurst

Clare-Swindlehurst Earning my ears

I'd personally never go for a Value Resort - for that price I'd prefer an offsite villa. We did however splash out on the Animal Kingdom Lodge for our honeymoon and just loved the atmosphere and the extra Disney magic. We now make deluxe more affordable by having DVC points ;)

14. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

Hi,

i have stayed Pop Century twice and loved it! For me it has the 'real' magic. We stayed at WL for one night (for our honeymoon) and felt it lacked a real magic.

We are staying at CSR this time and finger cross it has the magic we felt at Pop Century.

15. gwennie81

gwennie81 Earning my ears

I have never stayed in a deluxe. I will say that between the value and the moderates, there are very little differences other than there's a fridge in the moderate rooms. I have no problem with staying in a value especially since I pretty much am only there to sleep and shower. If you are having an extended stay, with a family crew, maybe a moderate or deluxe would be a little more comfortable. BUT a hotel room is just that. A hotel room. You still have noisy neighbors and not ALL the comforts of home.

16. Casey3557

Casey3557 Earning my ears

Try to define whether you will use the extra amenities offered at a luxury resort - you will have more options for everything - dining, leisure activities, transportation, etc. Do you care about dining options if you'll be at the parks or DTD most of the time anyway and will rarely be eating there? Will a food court suffice? Will you have a car and thus not really need to worry about transportation? Do you anticipate spending lots of time in your room or will it be mostly a pit stop for sleeping and showering? Will all the extra options just drive you crazy anyway :laugh2:and do you just want to keep it simple? Would you rather spend the extra money on souvenirs, meals, an evening at Cirque du Soleil?

The location at the deluxe resorts is one of their biggest assets. But if you wil have a car, does that matter to you? Is a room with a view important to you? Enough to maybe pay extra for it? Research the different deluxe resorts - the differences will surprise you. Each is unique and wonderful, but the ambience is different at each. While it may be worth it to you to pay extra for the Poly, for instance, you may not feel the same way about the GF or BC. Or vice versa. Check out the pics online - which one makes you feel most comfortable?

Hey, if there is somewhere you have always wanted to stay and money is not a question, that I suggest you choose what works best for you. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the WDW resorts. You are at WDW and that is what matters! :wiggle: It is a fun decision to have to make...good luck!

17. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

My first stay at WDW was at the Beach Club. Ahhhh, now you all understand, eh? :D During that visit, we also chose to join DVC.

I've stayed at the BC, Poly (no thanks. :sorry: ) Boardwalk Inn, Wilderness Lodge, Kidani Village, Saratoga Springs Resort, OKW (OF COURSE! :D ) Pop Century and All Stars (Music and Sports).

With the exception of no hot tub at the Poly (call us wimps, we like our hot tubs) and that horrible clown at Boardwalk, we would eagerly stay at any of them again. :yes:

We still will stay at the BW, although not use the pool, if it is the only option available.

The drawback to deluxes (other than OKW, and SSR) is that you SHARE buses. That's beyond stupid. :nono: You are staying a beautiful resort yet are packed onto a bus like a sardine.

We like the deluxes because we have gone so often to WDW that we truly enjoy the resorts as the destination now (hence our dislike of BW, and that clown... :lipwobble: ).

The values are GREAT!!! :yes: We love the absolute DISNEY!!!! IN YOUR FACE themeing! :lol: Can't forget for one minute that you are on WDW property in one of those resorts. And their buses are not shared.

We've not stayed at a moderate. My brother did, and so has Herself's sister (PO) and they both had very nice experiences. We really liked my brother's room. :yes: We've gone to that resort for dinner before too and enjoyed Piano Bob in the lobby area. :yes:

So, I would say, stay at a deluxe if you are actually going to enjoy using the resort itself. Each one has something specific to recommend it, and all are totally down to personal preference.

We're off to Bay Lake Towers soon... :yes: Can't wait to try yet another new resort (or at least new portion of a resort). :yes:

18. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

Tink- where's the best place to request at OKW. Don't want to be too far from main pool but not too noisy. We're not going to be using the busses much but if we do don't want a huge hike. LOL

19. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Peninsula or Miller would be good. We strongly prefer being way at the back though, so I'm most familiar with that area.

20. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

thank you :hug2: