1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Should we feel guilty?

Discussion in 'General' started by luvthemouse, Oct 27, 2008.

1. luvthemouse

luvthemouse My nickname is DANGER

Taking a chance as DD is a member also, but here goes anyway... Chris (DH) and I are headed back to see the mouse the first weekend in Feb. Alone. No kids. My wonderful Mom has volunteered to keep the kidlets for us so we can take a short trip of about 4 or 5 days. I think we may drive down unless we can find incredible airfare. I'm not sure where we're going to stay, but we think it may be Pop. We intend to do the Backstage Tour, and eat at a nice adult resturant or two.

So should we feel bad about not taking the kids?

2. Shellyamc

Shellyamc Serious Forum Regular

No!! They would leave you home if they could :lol:

All kidding aside, don't feel bad at all. You need time together - alone- be be an adult married couple :p015: It makes you better parents and some time for the kids to be with Gramma is a wonderful bonus as well. I know my Parents love to watch Katelyn and with another one on the way we are taking advantage of it. Make sure you bring them something nice and maybe let the kids pick something simple (dinner and a movie or something) that you all can do together when you get back! :hug2:

3. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

Heck no. :D Remember, adults need adult time too, even if that means doing something fun. :D

4. Dorothy

Dorothy Smiley Herder

NOPE, don't feel bad at all. They were just there and mommy and daddy need some alone time too :D

5. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Agree with what everyone has said :hug2:

6. kazzaqld

kazzaqld Addicted to Mickey

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    No way should you feel guilty!

The kids get heaps of opportunities to go, it's not like they'll never go again.

And you need time to be a couple as others have said here!

Go for it! :hug2:

7. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Don't feel guilty at all Krista, you and Chris need some time on your own :hug2: I don't think the kids will mind either and knowing your Mom she will spoil them to pieces anyway :lol:

Just tell them if they're good they might get a new brother or sister :wink: :wink:

8. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

No way should you feel guilty! GO and ENJOY yourself!!

9. luvthemouse

:laugh: Good one Wendy... No, that ship has sailed. No more babies from here. Nope. No. Nada.

I know that Jack will be fine with staying at Mom's, and Bryce won't care. But Holly will be seriously ticked off.
    Chris and I REALLY need a trip alone for more than just one night. And actually the last time we did that, I was VERY pregnant with Bryce. So, as much as I hate to admit it, I'm really looking forward to going without the kids... Please tell me I don't sound like a bad mother...

10. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Never say never :wink:

There is no way you are a bad mother, I've seen you with your kids and I'm sure Holly will understand
    :hug2:

11. Johnie

You are NOT a bad mother. I'm telling you it's perfectly healthy to get away from your kids and for your kids to get away from you. I sent Alysia off every summer to spend it with my grandma. My parents sent me off to the same grandparents every summer as well. I think it helps build the bonds between grandparent and grandchild as well.

12. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

:) No. No. No. No.

You should NOT feel guilty.

But you're going to aren't you?

And I get it. It's not because you're going away *alone* (because really? I know your kids. They don't care :gy: ) You feel guilty because you're going away alone TO DISNEY WORLD. Aye. There's the rub.

I have been saying for five years now that I was going alone. I was going to stop for hours taking photos, eat in every fine eating establishment, and spend the entire trip at EPCOT if I felt like it.

It's never happened.

But this year, like you, we've decided to go for it :D And I've even included a built in "deguilter".....we're going twice :D We're going for 5 days in August WITH the kids...and then we're going for 5 days in October (FOOD & WINE FESTIVAL) UTTERLY, COMPLETELY and MAGNIFICENTLY ALONE!!! (Except Johnie who will also be there :wink: ).

I think you're doing a good thing...you and Chris deserve to enjoy Disney World as adults....now start making those plans....

13. Johnie

:p you don't have to buy me things (unless you REALLY want too), I can be sent off alone if I get on your nerves or start whining, I like to ride all the FUN rides and even the not so fun ones.

Mike and I went for our anniversary in 2003. Alysia stayed with her grandparents. I did feel guilty cause we were going to WDW without her but she was none the worse for the wear and we had a great time!!

14. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

Don't feel guilty at all! However, you'll want some kid-company, so I am willing to stand in as your temporary child for any future holidays to the world. I will even carry big heavy souvenir bags around ALL day if you want me to :)

Just kidding! Go and enjoy yourself :hug2: I am a teenager/kid, and I know, that my parents have gone away before, I'm actually GLAD of the break. Next Year they are going on a cruise (not a disney cruise though) and I refused to go.. I'm looking forward to spending time with myself (And my niece.. who will be about 4 months at that time!)

15. luvthemouse

Well then my OB/GYN and I will be having a nice little chat..:shocked025:

Thank you all. And Becca, you are right. It is because we're going to Disney that I feel so guilty. But really, there isn't another place we really want to go, especially that time of year. And we have seriously been considering joining DVC. And that trip may just be when we make it happen.

We have another trip planned for next year with the family. It will be the first week of December 09. We loved that time of year and really wanted to go back. We only had Holly at the time, so it will be so cool to see Jack's reaction and Bryce's too. Plus I know my Mom will love it. And since my Mom has come to enjoy Disney as much as we do, we wouldn't dream of leaving her home.:p

16. Tinker

Tinker Earning my ears

You & Chris go sweetie and have a wonderful time ! You both deserve the alone time and what better place to be than at Disney .
    I just came back from the F & W Festival . First time and definitely not the last . I just drank and ate and enjoyed Epcot . I got about half way around the countries and quit . I wanted to have a margarita in Mexico, but I knew if I did, I'd be done . :lol:
    Now, I see why so many enjoy it .

17. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Peace, Love and Mickey Mouse

:hug2: Of course you are not!
    You are a Mom, but you're also half of a couple and you both need time to be a couple.
    Go have a wonderful, romantic break and bring back some treats for the children. :hug2:

18. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

YES, you most definitely should feel guilty. NOT Have a great time.

19. daveann

daveann Addicted to Mickey

we are going without the kids too feel very guilty as we havent even told them yet but they have there own holidays and stuff arranged but still dreading telling them :(

20. PsychoAlice

PsychoAlice Resident Anarchist

I just came back from WDW without the kids....I didnt feel guilty one tiny bit...nor did I worry about them being mad...I needed to get away and have a mom free zone around me...I dont get it often...