1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Should we upgrade from DDP to Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by Deb, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Deb

Deb Serious Forum Regular

Look at my countdown :mental: Sorry in advance this post is so long....

Anyway, we are on the DDP for the very first time this year as it was free. Last year was the first time I have made ADRs, as I knew it would be tough to get into places now without them. We always preferred the spontaneity of days gone by when less people made dining reservations and we could pick and choose, but now we accept we have to plan a little more! :surrender:

I have booked most of our ADRs for this year, and actually for the time of year we are going most aren't too tough to get. Well, we were looking at menus last night, and realised we are "appetiser" people, and would always order them with dinner, and as the DDP doesn't include them we would be paying for them out of pocket. It got us to thinking about the difference between the Standard and Deluxe plans and whether we'd be better to upgrade. I'd appreciate any thoughts on this to help us....

We have been quoted a total of £608 to upgrade to the Deluxe plan, with no admin fee if we decide in the next couple of days - that's £19 each per day. It sounds quite a bit till we start to work some stuff out.

Standard DDP person per day is: 1 Counter Service (CS) meal, 1 Table Service (TS) meal, and a snack. TS includes entree, dessert and beverage

Deluxe pppd is: 3 TS and 2 snacks. TS includes an appetiser too.

So, if we work on the basis that we will have an appetiser each day, ranging from about £5 to £12 depending on the type of restaurant, and include what we would spend for breakfast, it starts to make some sense to do.

There are 3 meals we want to do that aren't on the Plan - V&A, T Rex and RFC for brekkie at AK. But as we will be eating at 3 or 4 Signature restaurants and therefore using 2 credits for each this doesn't need to be taken into account anyway. I know we will need more planning if we take the Deluxe Plan, and I know we won't eat everything we could eat on it - but I also know that we did eat 3 meals a day last time, albeit quite a lot of CS meals, like Casey's.

We do love our food (not in the way of eating tons of it, but enjoying trying new things :D ) and this will allow is to experiment more and try new places. Maybe we could eat less CS as our lunches, and go to Sci-Fi Diner for example. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Whether it would be advantageous to do this or just have the money in our pockets to spend?

If you have made it this way through this post then you deserve a medal :tongue:
  2. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

Hi, we struggled with our DDP as likewise we did thought about upgrading to deluxe and we were glad that we didnt! It was just enough as the mains tends to be quite big especially with pudding afterward!!

Occasionally we just paid extra for starter but one or two places decided to ignore starter so we didnt pay for it! :jawdrop:
  3. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

oh gosh that's a heck of a good question.

I'm not the best person for it either since we don't normally do the Disney dining plan.

The thing that does kinda bug me though is that so much is two credits now. So, I really like the 3ts value on the deluxe. I wouldnt be able to do 3*TS meals a day no way, but I would eat every night at a deluxe, see all the shows and so on :) truly it would be a no-extra-cost holiday.. well other than v&a I guess :lol:

to be honest the more I think about it, the more I think I'd do it. As you say, not for the volume of food but for the experimentation :)
  4. Deb

Jeff, we are the same in that it is all too much food for us, but the thing is we still always order appetisers at dinner! We were discussing this last night, and it's just something we like to do, to sample the food...we rarely finish everything on our main, but we still do it :lol: I think the thing is we are not huge dessert eaters - I will sometimes order to try it out or if I really like the look of one, but DH rarely bothers. We were trying to decide whether we could eat a dessert instead of an appetiser because it's free but the answer was a no!
  5. Deb

Thanks Keith. Yes, I think as we have never done the DDP either it's even harder to visualise!

I like your thinking about the days when we use a 2 TS credit, it still leaves a full TS credit for a good breakfast for example. Hadn't thought about it that way. We don't really do the shows (we're a bit like you in that we don't like to be picked on :lol: ) but we may consider them too, as it would be no extra expense. We could also try some different breakfasts. I think becasue we went last year we don't feel so "panicky" about fitting all of the parks in, and apart from one night at each to see the respective fireworks we tend to use the nights for eating, drinking and relaxing.

I don't think we'd be much out of pocket if we upgraded and it might "force" us to eat places we wouldn't normally - we would usually only want to pay for a simple CS if we were having a nice dinner, whereas this way it wouldn't matter.

Mmmm, still thinking! Not a bad problem to have though! :D
  6. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

I dont know tbh, but im glad ive never had to do the ddp, all seems very confusing to me! :unsure:
  7. keith

I know it's non-transferable and people may think badly of me, but one of the nicest things ever was when a family asked us if we were staying a few days. I said yes we were, and they said we have some meals left on our DDP cards and cant possibly finish them, so if you can use them we'd love to know they were used.

Well we had a great few meals using them [ embarrassed look ] and somehow it was all the sweeter knowing they were a gift.

Just saying I guess, if you DID have a few credits left over, you could make someone's day .... :)
  8. Deb

You know Keith, they always say they are non-transerable, but I always wondered how they "police" that? I assumed that once you had ended your stay at the hotel that the credits would be wiped out, that the card would become defunct? :unsure:
  9. keith

yeah I thought so too. I mean obviously the cards had their names on but that was ok. I guess we used the credits over the next couple of days so perhaps there was a grace period or something
  10. Deb

Ah, maybe! I think that's a lovely idea!

I already have visions of going back with a suitcase full of snacks from the credits :lol:
  11. Deb

Ok, it's done! We called and upgraded this morning! :eek:

We have been sitting here for a couple of hours redoing our reservations :mental: It's so exhausting DH has had to lie down and have a snooze! :lol: So, it's going to be a different sort of holiday this time, involving more planning than we usually like to do, but it's fun just chosing places we want to eat and trying them just because we can :tongue: We are wondering at what point on our return we will need to start the lettuce leaf and water diet :D
  12. keith

:lol: excellent! I look forward to hearing about EVERY restaurant on Disney ;-)
  13. Deafjeff

oooohhhh how exciting!
  14. Deb

OMG Jeff, we have been trying all afternoon to book our meals and it's a nightmare! :eek: A nice one, but still.....

Trying to plan, and just book things without going "we can't book that! It's not value for money!" :D We have booked more character breakfasts than we have ever been on in total :lol:

I shall report back on how we manage to do..... :unsure:
  15. Tinkfan

Tinkfan Earning my ears

:wave: I guess maybe you should think less of value and more what you would enjoy. We always get the regular dining plan and pay for breakfast oop usually at the hotel, but once during the vacation we'll go to the Crystal Palace, Chef Mickeys or Konas. But we've never been to a 2 credit dinner other than the Castle or Hoopde Doo. If we chose the deluxe, I would for the expermentation do a 2 credit dinner, use a snack for lunch and use the 1 credit for breakfast! My family starts off slow except for me. I'm the early riser and getting them motivated each day to eat a big breakfast is murder! Ty doesn't really even like breakfast foods :sorry:
  16. Deafjeff

Dont forget Cinderella Castle!!!!!!!!! Loved it! :mental:
  17. Deb

That's how we're looking at it Trish :yes: We were planning on doing at least 2 2credit dinners on the free DDP, now we can try a couple more too! I think because there are just the two of us enjoying meals together is a huge part of our experience. We also LOVE our breakfasts, and are both early risers, so that's a plus point! I don't know what I'd do if DH wasn't interested in breakfast!

Jeff, we have never done the castle, and were contemplating whether it was worth using 2 credits before to have the experience, but now we can just do it without worrying and have booked breakfast! :mental: We have booked/planned 28 credits each out of a total of 48 each, and even that has taken careful planning, but we are enjoying it! We will be booking probably 3 or 4 more breakfasts and another 1 or 2 lunches/dinner, and keep the rest to decide when we're there....or just buy lettuce leaves with if we feel too stuffed :D

So far we have:

CRT, Crystal Palace, Chef Mickey's and Cape May for brekkie

Lunch at Tutto Italia, 50s Prime Time, Le Cellier, Coral Reef. We will also eat at Casey's a couple of times cos we love it!!!

Dinner at Olivia's at OKW (our first night in resort) San Angel Inn (twice!), Jiko, Kouzzina, Artist Point, Narcoosee, Cali Grill, Hacienda San Angel, Flying Fish, Chefs des France.

We also have Victoria and Albert's booked, and want to eat at T Rex for dinner and RFC at AK for brekkie, but of course they aren't on the DP.

Weightwatchers in March I think :eek: