1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Sign Language Interpreters

Discussion in 'Special Needs' started by susanm, Apr 10, 2013.

1. susanm

susanm Imagineer

Didnt see this post, but sorry if it is a duplicate. After visiting WDW with a deaf friend we got to see the interpreters at many shows/attractions. for those who did not know, WDW has a schedule, different days they are in different parks. there is also a set time they are at each show. For hearing disabled a schedule can be obtained about 2 weeks before you arrive so you know what park the interpreters are in. For those who just happen to catch a show, take a look at them. they are amazing. for the afternoon parades they stand across from HALL OF PRESIDENTS at the corner. these are some very talented people. there interpretation of the shows and attractions and parades are so amazing, even someone who does not know sign language will understand a lot of what is being interpreted. a quick look...check you tube for a few clips of the interpreters. i check them out now every time i go to WDW...

ps it has helped my personal skills too

2. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

I'm ashamed to say I have never seen them :sorry:

I am always amazed by people that can sign, it's a fantastic thing to be able to do, I will keep an eye out for them when we are there later this year.

3. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

The best part of the Christmas Show in EPCOT is watching the ASL interpreters. :yes: (Candlelight Processional).

Interpreters must go to school, and learn to sign at a specific rate before they are certified. They are in high demand, and are quite difficult to locate for a small business who needs to use one (as I know from personal experience). I sign, and can therefore communicate with my staff that communicate in that manner, but I cannot sign and talk at the same time. So, when I conduct meetings or educational trainings, I prefer to use an interpreter. It's nearly impossible to book one. :sigh:

ASL is a complex language with its own grammar and syntax. There is a different language for signing in each country. The interpreters at WDW are signing in American Sign Language, which differs from British Sign Language, Spanish Sign, Brazilian sign... you get the idea. :yes:

4. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

We have a deaf person in our office. When we have scheduled meetings, as long as he knows enough in advance, he can normally find an interpreter. It is the impromptu meetings that cause problems. Fortunately he can normally read lips from up close so one of us can get the gist of the message across to him.

5. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

One of my "bucket list" items...I've always wanted to learn to sign...I find it to be a beautiful language.

Aside from the CP, as Tink mentioned, I don't think I've ever noticed an interpreter at Disney...I shall have to go take a peek at YouTube! Thanks for the information, Susan!

6. susanm

susanm Imagineer

if you see a clip on youtube from semiltimo that was mine from last summer... i have been signing for years.. i can communicate with all the deaf people i work with and have become , over the years, friends with them outside of work. ASL takes a long time ... learning the words is easy...but i have finally got the hang of it.. i originally wanted to be an interpreter for disney...and was willing to take (very very expensive) the RID (REGISTRY OF INTERPRETERS) test...but now you must have a bachelors degree before you can take the test...and at 60 yrs old i am just to old to go back full time to college... :shrug1: but hoping some day i can work in guest services...that i could use the skill i have..

ps after visiting 2x with a deaf friend i wrote to MARK JONES who is the head of the dept and suggested maybe to have an interpreter at guest services when the park opens...so the deaf can make dining arrangements, ask questions, get schedules etc. i noticed they now do that... WAY TO GO MARK AND DISNEY FOR PAYING ATTENTION TO THE GUESTS..

7. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

We 'followed' the interpreters round in December at animal kingdom, they were amazing and out so much effort in, I really enjoyed watching them. I would love to learn to sign too, one day!

8. Suebeattie

Suebeattie Addicted to Mickey

I know its not the same but my son loves watching justin fletcher and mr tumble - he does a 15 mimute show on cbeebies which has signing in it. It fasinates me and sits there waving and absorbing it all.
    My nephew loves watching it too and knows loads of signs from it and to be honest I sit there copying the signs as well lol.
    Apparently babies can learn signs alot quicker than actual words. I wish I had done baby sign classes with zac.
    It is very fasinating how people adapt and learn to communicate in other ways.

:wiggle:

9. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

Ava just loves Mr Tumble! He does makaton rather than sign language - which is what they do at baby signing. It's much more practical and realistic. I did baby signing with Ben and also used it with Ava, it's really good!

10. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

Our preschool level students learn basic signing - it changes to French or Spanish as they move ahead in school...but they pick it up SO quickly!

11. Tink

Because it is a bona fide language. The LAD is still highly functional in young children. That's why they learn languages so much more easily than do adults. :yes:

And, for the record. 60 is not too old to return to college! :D :D

12. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

I seem to remember its optimal for language until 11 or 12 years old, that's why we should be teaching our primary /elementary school children languages rather than waiting

13. Tink

Yes! Our ease at learning new language starts to slow down in early to mid teens. We can of course still learn after those years but it takes much more effort, and is not as effective.

14. Suebeattie

Suebeattie Addicted to Mickey

My cousin speaks to her children in english while her spanish husband speaks to them in spanish. Its amazing how they learn to understand and speak 2 languages at the same time.
    I think if I knew another language I would try to teach zac some.

:wiggle:

15. Vikki

Totally agree. The new curriculum coming in next year makes it statutory for ks2 (7-11) to do a modern foreign language.....strange as the government got rid of doing it a couple of years ago! I actually do an hour of french with my year 2s (age 6-7), every week and they love it! I'm not meant to as it's not officially on the curriculum, but we make the time :D

16. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

That's great Vikki, I think they should give you back some freedom in the way you educate students, languages are right to teach for so many reasons!

17. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I have noticed the interpreters before. My career is working with people with disabilities
    so I am always aware of this and other things.

I know some basic signs and the alphabet but that's about it. At my last job, we had
    2 people with various levels of hearing loss so there were always interpreters about.
    They do such a fantastic job and are very much in demand! I tried to take an ASL course
    in grad school but was woefully inadequate. I am not good at picking up new
    languages :sorry:

I have always read lips. I had to have emergency surgery to remove my tonsils
    and adnoids when I was 6. They had grown so large that the doctors said I would have
    become deaf. So, I think that is the reason I read lips. I swear if someone
    is covering their mouth or turned away from me I cannot hear them. But I have
    no problems on the phone or when I've ben drinking :lol:

18. Vikki

Well, they don't :D I just do it anyway ;)

Whilst we're on the subject, does anyone know of a makaton or sign language website or something where I can find translations? Reason I ask is that every year we do a 'summer entertainment' st school and I'm going to teach my class the song "You've got a friend in me" from Toy Story. I'd love to teach them how to sign the chorus as something a bit special.....

19. susanm

susanm Imagineer

try this one

http://www.signingsavvy.com/

there is another one out there i used....will post if i can find it...havent used in a while

20. susanm

susanm Imagineer

i would suggest trying a non credit class at a local college...the classes move at a slower pace and usually just work on everyday words and phrases...thats where i started... the local college here had 6 levels...basic - basic ii -- intermediate - intermediate 2 -- etc and it was a cheap class too