1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Disney & Orlando Secrets Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community...
    It's easy, fast, totally free (and always will be) and you'll be able to start chatting immediately :)

Sign Language Interpreters

Discussion in 'Special Needs' started by susanm, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Clarkkent

Clarkkent Addicted to Mickey

As a sign language interpreter myself (British not American) I've always been a little jealous of the ones that get to work doing the shows in Disney.
    Maybe I should take a sabbatical and move to Florida for six months.

Don't think Deafjeff would be impressed if I left without him though.

In terms of a website for anyone wishing to learn British Sign Language my friend recently set up www.signworldlearn.com

Certainly a lot better than Mr tumble who regularly confuses the sign for "happy" with a four letter word that starts with "f" .... No wonder he's smiling all the time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Suebeattie

Suebeattie Addicted to Mickey

Ha ha ha that's brilliant - I wonder if he makes other mistakes :D

:wiggle:

3. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I have thought about taking a class at the community college but I don't know where I would find the time right now. I work. A lot. And I'm also working 1 class per quarter towards my doctorate. You know why they call it a terminal degree? Cause I will probably be dead before I finish it lol

4. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

HA! That's exactly what I'm afraid of happening. I get in enough trouble with my actual mouth lol goodness knows what I might say with my hands

5. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I learned to sign at a School for the Deaf from a Deaf Instructor who was born deaf. She was wonderful and an excellent instruction. She refused to allow voice in her class.

One day I was in a huddle (there's a bit of trivia, who invented the football huddle?) with some other students and she came over and asked me if I was using my voice. With more than a pink face, I told her no. She asked what the huddle was about then, and I told her I was sharing "dirty sign" that I'd learned from a deaf friend. She said, "Oh. OK," and left! :lol: When I say "said" in reference to her, I mean signed. She did not use her voice and one of the many things I learned from her is that some deaf folks can use their voices better than others, just like some people draw better than others.

I no longer have as many people to sign with, nor do I have the opportunity to sign on a daily basis, so I've lost my speed, but I am still fluent. I have one deaf staff member left, and she really enjoys having a director with whom she can talk and get complete explanations for things in her own language.