1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Smoking Policy Updated Onboard Disney Cruise Line

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line News & Rumors' started by Wendy, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

With effect from the 15th November 2013, Guests will no longer be permitted to smoke on stateroom verandahs onboard Disney Cruise Line ships.

However, it is recognized that some Guests smoke and to provide an onboard atmosphere that also satisfies smokers, portions of open-air decks on each ship are designated as smoking areas.

Guests who are found smoking in their staterooms or on their verandahs will be charged a $250 stateroom recovery fee. This fee covers a deep cleaning to include air filter replacement, carpet extraction, the cleaning and replacement of drapes, comforters, blankets, and pillows, along with verandah cleaning and maintenance.

Guests with verandah stateroom bookings affected by this change will be contacted by their travel agent or by email. Guests will also be reminded of this policy once onboard.

2. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Looks like I`ll have a lot of walking to do. :surrender:

3. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

I thought about you when I was typing it.

4. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

I thought about him too!

Fortunately for me, I quit years ago. :happydance:

Tom :)macwave:... but I'd still walk along with you Terry!)

5. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

That's ridiculous. :( Don't allow someone to smoke in privacy, rather force them out in public where others are equally forced to walk by? I've been on ships where this is the requirement and it's a ripping pain. We like to walk the deck for exercise and it's really, really annoying to have to walk through a cloud of smoke once every lap.

Allow smokers to smoke on their verandahs! Geez. :sigh:

6. Slowhand

I guess the reason for this is down to some inconsiderate passengers who did not bother to check if anyone was out in the adjoining verandah.
    This is something that I always did before lighting up to avoid any aggro.

7. catrancher

And it's something I'm grateful to you for. :worship:

You checking was my cue to come out on our verandah next door. It allowed me to hang out on our verandah next door when you were smoking and inhale deeply the second hand smoke. It was almost as good as if I were still a smoker. Same concept as the night we were leaving the Yachtsman Steak House and walking across the parking lot and you mentioned that you'd walk away from us so we wouldn't be bothered by your smoke.
    As I recall I chased you down that time also just for a whiff of the second hand stuff. :mental:

Thank you so much for sharing! :ROFL:

Tom :)macwave:... former smoker but still looking for all opportunities to share!)

8. Slowhand

No problem Tom, and if I recall I never even charged you. :lol:
    I may have mentioned this before, but I only smoke after meals....the problem is that I have to eat 15 times per day! :lol:

9. catrancher

Yes, it's so much cheaper to smoke OP's (other peoples). :wink:

When I used to smoke, I'd always ask folks if they minded if I smoked. The usual reply was that they didn't really care if I burned up. :ROFL:

Tom :)macwave:... I need a cigar...)

10. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

and i think that's the key isn't it..consideration. If i was sat on a my verandah/balcony i wouldn't want someone smoking on the one next to me. Also i think some people would throw their butts over the side too which they want to avoid. It's a shame that because of the inconsiderate few we have to abide by certain rules. Being an ex smoker i do have an appreciation of both sides

11. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I'm not a smoker nor have I ever been but it is crazy to me that you can't smoke on your verandah or balcony.

12. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Big Brother is watching you. I suspect that the reason they don't want you to smoke on the verandah, even though you are outdoors, is that the smoke might leak into the room. Or as Terry said, bother the folks on the next verandah. Even though we've taken a cruise I'm not sure how airtight the cabins are from the outside. I do know that yesterday we were involved in a minor accident in our van pool on the way home. Two of our smokers went outside and shut the doors while we were sorting out the paper work and those of us in the van could still smell the smoke.

13. catrancher

I remember when my DW and I were both smokers. We had gone to an Atlanta Braves baseball game in the old stadium in Atlanta. Our seats were along the first base line out from under the overhang in the bright sunshine. Could we smoke out there? No. Absolutely not. We had to go inside the stadium to a covered area in a publicly traveled hallway which had a yellow box printed on the floor. We were however allowed to stand in said yellow box and smoke our brains out in that covered, closed space that was occupied also by the general populace.

Made perfect sense. NOT! :insane:

Tom :)macwave:... who vanishes in a puff of logic.)

14. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Never been a smoker but this is crazy and just another step along the way to harass an "easy target". It has been smokers who have felt the judgmental glare of society and it's moving onto those considered overweight. Wonder who'll be next? :shrug1:

Seriously, by all means I agree we needed to do something about smoking in restaurants and buses/plains/trains, but a verandah on a ship in the middle of an ocean?! really?!

15. Slowhand

I guess the problem is worse Keith when the ship is moored up and stationary.
    Although you are in the open air on your verandah when the ship is in motion [and the patio doors are fairly airtight], because you could be travelling ay 25 knots or so, then your smoke and ash could cause a grievance with passengers "down wind" of you if they happen to be on their verandah.

16. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

sure that makes sense. shame though