1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Snake, gators and bugs !!!

Discussion in 'General' started by partygirl, Jun 4, 2011.

1. partygirl

partygirl Earning my ears

OMG now I'm totally fretting! Im reading there are snakes all over even inside Disney, gators in every water. Is anyone ever bitten??????

2. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Not that I've ever heard of! :nono:

Snakes? Probably. Although I've never seen one in dozens of trips. They'd be more afraid of you anyway than you would of them.

Gators? Once again, probably. Almost certainly. It's Florida after all. And Florida has gators. Primarily in any fresh water pond or lake. Again, I've never seen one in dozens of trips.

But if you should see one, they're pretty easy to avoid as long as you don't get stupid. Gators feed in the late evening and at night. Don't go walking around freshwater lakes or streams at night. Simple. Right? During the day, if you're out walking and you see a gator, it's really simple. Turn around and go the other way. Be on the lookout for a mate. They usually have a mate around somewhere close. But they spend most of their time either in the water or close by on the shore in the sun. But once again, I've never actually seen one on Disney property in my dozens of trips down there.

I grew up in Florida. Are there reports of gator attacks? Sure. But usually, that's because people get stupid and try to feed them or poke them with a stick. For the most part, gators will leave you alone if you leave them alone and don't get too close or provoke them. Just use a little common sense and you won't have a problem even if you do see one.

And remember, I've never seen a gator on Disney property in the dozens of times I've been down there. I'm sure they're there and I'm sure other people may have seen them, but I haven't.

Tom :)macwave:... spent most of my life in Florida and I've never been attacked!)

3. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

well Ive always been fascinated by snakes and positively look out for them. I've seen one in Disney the whole time and as Tom says, it was scared and wasnt there for long.

I've seen gators and indeed had gators pointed out by disney bus drivers, but not in mainstream areas (although Im sure it happens). I've also seen a few in the lake at celebration and again as Tom says, in the evening they can be quite curious and swim over to see who's looking at them :lol:

Definitely not something to worry about IMHO

4. disneymom

disneymom Imagineer

There can be lots of bugs though, especially in love bug season :unsure:

5. Suebeattie

Suebeattie Addicted to Mickey

Completely nothing to do with snakes, gators and bugs, but we saw an armadillo once :yes:
    We stay offsite in time share accommodation and caught site of the thing after a long day at the parks, unfortuantely too dark to get a picture :thumbsdown:
    :wiggle:

6. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

As others have said, there really is no need to worry about the gator and snake issue.
    I actually have seen a gator on the self parking lot at the GF, but this was years ago and in all of the many visits we`ve made before and after this event, this was the only time that we`ve seen one on Disney Property.
    As Keith said, there are a couple of young gators in the lake at Celebration, and we [along with many others] have seen them loads of times. They are only small critters though and one of them acted very scared and went back under the water when I took it`s photograph, despite me being a long distance away and using a zoom lens!

IMHO mosquitos are the only bug that you need to consider. Again if you stay away from any stagnant water or lakes after dusk and apply an insect repellant containing "Deet" they won`t cause you any grief.

7. BUTTERHEAD1

BUTTERHEAD1 Addicted to Mickey

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  8. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

In the over 32 years I have been visiting Disney I have never seen an alligator there. I have heard of a couple of occasions but Disney is very quick to relocate them.

I have only ever seen one snake. It was over at OKW and slithered by while we were in the hot tub. Most Florida snakes are not aggressive and not venomous. The one we saw was a black racer...harmless.

Bugs are a part of life here in Florida but Disney does an excellent job with their bug control. They do try and keep much of them under the Tree of Life. :whistle:

Another thing with snakes and gators is that they are not naturally aggressive and are afraid of humans and will keep their distance unless provoked.

9. WDW Vet

WDW Vet Forum Advertiser

Never had any snake experiences but we had a frog experience... and it was in our room!

We were on the first floor at Riverside and the kids were asleep. So my wife and I dragged the two chairs out to the hallway and sat outside. We propped the door open. After about an hour my son comes out by us and says there's a frog in our room.

I go inside and sure enough there ia a frog right by the entrace to the bathroom. It looks up at me "Ribbit". I scooped him up and brought him out by his friends

Mosquitoes are pretty much a pain. Disney does the best they can to control them but some years they were pretty bad.

10. robertcraig

robertcraig Serious Forum Regular

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    Never had any snake problems but one time at hotel off site a man who had just returned from playing golf suddenly droped his golf bag and out crawled a snake