So... AKL or Contemporary ? which would you choose?

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World Resort Hotels, Hotels, DVC and V' started by Skywatcher, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Skywatcher

Skywatcher New Member

Making progress and DVC renting looks very very promising.

We are torn between Animal kingdom , which is beautiful, wonderfully themed and has the animals right there and the bay tower with its views of Wishes, slick clean lines and lovely pool area.

The main sticking point with AK is the connectivity. You have to get a bus to go from the villas to breakfast , so if you forget anything you'd have to go back and forth on the bus a couple of time.Its also a long way from the parks with a 2 year old ( I'm thinking post wishes etc) BUT it will be lovely and quiet, and the animals....

The 'temporary looks stunning and is , of course, right there. MK and Epcot but a short monorail away

Interesting to hear your views as we intend to book tonight (hopefully)

:D

2. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou Makuakane Administrator

I'm so glad that the DVC route is working out for you :hug2:

I would choose Bay Lake Towers because it is close to the Magic Kingdom. Like you said it is also a monorail ride away from Epcot.

I like the look of the Towers, I'm not a big fan of the Contemporary, but the Towers is something different.

Definitely a vote for Bay Lake Towers.

Keith will be along with a huge reason why you should stay there as he has stayed a few times and loves it :)

3. keith

keith Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Home Page:
    Well I love them both which is no help at all :)

I hear what you say about AKL but I once saw a study that said actually the Contemporary is furthest away from everything BUT the magic kingdom. Bus to AK, Studios is longer (so they claimed) and epcot needed a change of monorail.....

Anyway that's just by the by.

AKL is beautiful and there's so much to do there in itself. There are tours and so on as well. Would you "finish" it and get bored after a few days ? hmmm dunno.

baylake/contemp. It's a personal thing, a lot of people hate the design etc. and the staff havent always been great there.

I LOVE the architecture, I love the shops, the restaurants the feel of the hustle/bustle of it all. Then I love strolling across to the magic kingdom. End of the night, no buses or worries just a stroll back to the room. Wishes from the balcony if you feel like it, possibly with room service ;-) and middle of the night, I get up, go out on the balcony and watch the sleepy castle. It's a strange kind of Disney quiet after the guests have gone back.

So I love them both, if you could move half way through? ;-) but a pain I know.... if I personally had to decide, I'd do bay lake.

4. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Well-Known Member

Training and Development Manager
    We visit Contemporary and found it quite unusual. We adore Chef Mickey and will be going back there :wiggle:

For some reason I could not decide if I like Contemporary resort, a part of me want to like it and another part of me think it looks ugly but unusual at the same time!

5. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

Can you not split your stay?

I haven't stopped at either but have visted many times.

I think I would choose contemporary if I was pushed :)

6. Britchick

Britchick Well-Known Member

Another vote for a split stay, I like AKL for the theming but you can't beat the location of BLT. I really liked the one bed we had. To me though it doesn't feel like Disney- too clinical.

7. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Well-Known Member

Teacher/planetarium director
    Well, the Contemporary is on my DW's bucket list, but after our last stay at AKL....wow!! It is a great place to stay. Hard to beat the look of the place. I have posted numerous times about what an absolute joy it is to return to our "home" after a day at the parks and to spend a great time around the fireplace with a nightcap. It was fantastic....so either way, hard to go wrong eh?

8. Skywatcher

Skywatcher New Member

Its going to be BLT , :D. Walking to MK clinched it - I'll let you know how the DVC points thing goes x

9. Tink

Tink Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Oh geez. Sorry I missed this during the discussion stage. :sorry: Hope it works out for you!

10. Skywatcher

Skywatcher New Member

:unsure: do you agree with what we've chosen or do you have reservations Tink

11. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak New Member

Accounting Manager
    We have never stayed at The Contemporary but have stayed at AKL a few times. While we love AKL for it's theming, rooms and the animals, the location is not ideal. We love the location of The Contemporary. Actually our favorite location is Boardwalk and Beach Club.

12. Skywatcher

Skywatcher New Member

Watching wishes every night from either your room or the roof seemed kinda Nice as well

( must remember to pack a tripod ;) )

13. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Well-Known Member

Training and Development Manager
    Sorry to hijack this discussion, how often is this fireplace get packed? Is there plenty seats around?

14. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak New Member

Accounting Manager
    I've never found it to be too busy either in the evening for a nightcap or early in the morning with coffee.

15. Tink

Tink Administrator Staff Member Administrator

We've done both and we LOVE both.
    BLT is so modern, with clean lines, and excellent location. Wonderful Bartender at Top of the World, too! :D :D Tell Mike we sent you! :D

There are many more options for dining if you stay at BLT, between the restaurants in the Contemporary, and the surrounding resorts.

However, :sorry: it's small. The apartments, I mean. When we (just the two of us) stayed in a one bedroom (with two bathrooms, THAT was seriously nice) we both agreed we'd not want to be there for more than a few (3-4) days, especially with a family. There is no storage, and it's just small. :(

Kidani and Jambo. We've stayed at both. We love, love, love savannah view (main savannah over the smaller 'back' savannah) at Kidani, the staff, the scents of the fire and spices, the proximity to Boma :D and the utterly fabulous swimming area at Kidani.

Jambo is seriously wonderful with the museum like lobby, and all the other features mentioned. They have a zero entry pool there.

Transport is very reliable and very nice. Yes, forgetting something would be horrid, so you'll just have to have Herself and I as your nannies. We'd do the run back, you see.

It's a tough, tough choice, but if you can't do a split stay (and we've done those too) which is ideal, then I'd have to edge toward Kidani, followed by Jambo solely because of the bit more room for extended stays with families.

Oh, and if you do go with Jambo, tell Mr. Gilts at the front desk we said hello. :D

16. Skywatcher

Skywatcher New Member

Something wonderful and unexpected happened

Although we have the flights booked for months the trip has never seemed real, heck in our minds we 'd cancelled it a hundred times. The boys weren't that bothered as it was too far away to even think about and they knew it may not happen as well.

Doing all thois with the DVC point and picking a place to stay has just clicked something in both of us.

We were late to bed last night as we were getting the boys ready for going back to school today and sending emails back and forth to Daves DVC rentals.

Anyway, its triggered a flood of memories and excitement about being there and sharing it all with the boys.

We lay there in silence last night at just gone midnight ( very late for us at the moment)

'you still awake'
    'yep'
    'im really excited about the holiday'
    'me too my heart is going about 110'

:D Disney magic - this is all part of it

the floor space in the 2 beds looks fine Tink they 'say' it sleeps 9 adults and we'll each have a room to go to and scream into a pillow when its needed so that should be fine - think you ought to see how tiny houses are in England :lol: pretty sure this apartment is bigger than our first house - and I'm being serious !

17. Skywatcher

Skywatcher New Member

The discussion we had with boys re AKL was surprising in some ways - ads we've been to 'real africa' they said it couldn't even come close to that! wasn't expecting that

18. keith

keith Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Home Page:
    See that's why I love it.... the late night pondering of all the options and the planning. At the moment Im a bit stumped about spending a couple of very expensive nights at bay lake towers but I know I'll only be sleeping there :/ with perhaps an hour of castle watching so cant decide

19. Watchinherskip

Well we had it all to ourselves each of the three evenings we were there. It was fantastic. It is right off the main lobby (and had a nice view of the Christmas tree) near Victoria Falls Lounge. (think that was the name of the lounge)

20. Watchinherskip

Oh yeah there was plenty of seating there, not sure exactly the number of seats.