1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

sorry, new pc advice again!

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by mumof2, Oct 28, 2009.

1. mumof2

mumof2 Serious Forum Regular

i promise i won't ask anymore.......this week!

as things are at the moment i want a shop bought off the shelf pc that i can plug in and set up easily. also i thought i'd better get a move on before VAT goes back up.

will be getting wireless at some point in the nearish future. i want as much memory and what ever other stuff i need for family use....games, downloads, photos, anything and everything!

so what's out there that you can recommend for me for around £600 please? :unsure:

and remember, i'm not too technical!
  2. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

3. mumof2

ok thanks Josh.

so does that have a lot of memory, i can't remember what i need to look for in bites and whatever else! :sorry:
  4. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

What are you going to use it for hun??, TBH if you are only using it for internet, email and word processing/photos you really really don't need a high end machine and a cheaper setup will do you no problems, just make sure the hard drive iss big enough for what you want ( most nowadays are so big you could never ever fill them unless you put your whole DVD collection on there) - if you shop in PC world (shudder) they will try and convince you that you need absolutely everything under the sun
  5. josh.p.

4gb RAM is plenty :yes: I'd go with as much as you can get for your money but what you want to look at is processing speed and RAM- however RAM is the main one that you are going to notice. Hard Drive space is another good thing to have but it's easy enough to delete old files/get an external HDD if you go over. Not that you are likely to fill 320gb unless you are shooting in RAW a lot!! lol

Have you considered a mac mini?
  6. josh.p.

PC World always makes me shudder- I only go there if it's got something on special offer and I think the sales people know to avoid me now tbh- They are con merchants and I dread to think of the number of people that go in there looking for a mouse or Pen drive and come out with a whole new machine that they'll only ever use to 10% of it's compacity! :shudder:
  7. Skywatcher

yep

I went in to look at the imacs and the sales chap came over

'can i help' he said

' no not really said i just wanted to have a look at one'

' not intrested in a PC with windows 7 sir'

'no thanks I 'm only interested in the macs'

'dont blame you, he whispers, me too would NEVER go back'

I have become a member of a secret sect :lol:
  8. josh.p.

:rotfl: He speaks a lot of sense!
  9. Skywatcher

I may be wrong but everyone who downplays macs talks about the cost - which I fully acknowledge is more expensive - however to date I have owned 2 laptops , a toshiba a sony vaio and an acer - the acer only costing about 350 quid which was fine but I get the feeling my macbook pro is just going to keep on working it is lightning fast - it is ready to use and go online within 20 seconds of pressing the boot button unlike all the windows pc's I have ever used that take at least 2-3 minutes.

Maybe I am caught up in the euphoria of the moment but as there are no virus' on macs and therefore no background systems working constantly to keep the computer safe I honestly can't see it breaking anytime soon

I paid a small fortune for the HP Pavillion desktop 3 years ago and it is beginning to show its age - the fan is on constantly and it is slowing up and working ahrd all the time even when little appears to be running, I'm sure a computer whizz could come in and sort it out but no matter how many programmes I remove, how many disk defrags, spybot runs and norton subscriptions I run it never sounds any healthier and I just have that 'last legs' feeling about it

Yes an iMac will cost me more but at the moment I honestly think it will outlast the cometition

:unsure: or am I wrong
  10. tb2830

tb2830 Addicted to Mickey

macs definately the way to go .....yes they cost more at the beginning but it is money well spent and im sure they will outlast any other make
  11. josh.p.

I agree. I got my iMac around the same time Dad got a new windows PC- Said PC is long gone. :yes: I know some people will say "I've had this PC X amount of years and it's amazing still!" but I'd be willing to bet it takes a whole load of effort to keep running like that. My iMac still feels brand new. I can turn it on, turn around, and turn back again and it'll be ready to go :yes: Where as with my laptop, I turn it on, go and get a tea/coffee, come back to find it still just about reaching the log-in page :yes:

I seriously would say it is by far the best option when outweighed by the price. Plus they hold market value for AGES as well! I CANNOT reccomend them enough!
  12. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

I've had my Macbook Pro since 2006 and it shows no signs of giving up so far. I've replaced the original hard drive (just to get more capacity) but that's all. It's a tank that just keeps on running. While I love all the new hardware, right now I can't see any valid reason to upgrade.

What I've got currently just continues to run well. :thumbsup:

Tom :)macwave:... a satisfied customer and general all around Apple bigot!)
  13. mumof2

ok i get the idea but would i be able to afford a decent enough one to play games, store thousands of photos....oh, just a thought, all my craft CD's - i wouldn't be able to use them so that's no good.

sooo back to pc's - it's for general home use, as i said....games, email, music downloads, hummungus amounts of photos, numerous craft cd's, i'd like the better and bigger i can afford.....£600 is the most i could pay, DH would like half that!

as well as that though (maybe within that price?) i would need (i think) an external hard drive so i can transfer files. I believe i can do it by plugging it into the 2 machines, and literally dragging and dropping the files from one to the other.
  14. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

15. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

tom i have an old tosh pII laptop still going strong cant beat a tosh windows based laptop

mairead

are you after a desktop or laptop, and whats your budget?