1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Spaceship Earth

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World' started by Isafari, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

This is a ride we have never done and I don't know why! Tell me what it's like please. Is it a coaster/simulator?

2. wickesy

wickesy Earning my ears

Spaceship Earth is a very slowpaced ride that is porbably best described as a "history of technology" from cave paintings through the invention of moveable type printing presses to the Internet, depicted by animatronics and static displays.

The ride vehicles climb slowly up to the top of the "golf ball", rotate at the top before making their way back down backwards and all the way through there is a narration by Dame Judi Dench. It has also been updated recently to make the ending more "interactive".

Try it next time you are there, it's a great way to get out of the heat and off your feet for 20 minutes or so.

3. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

..and now it has reverted back to being the icon of Epcot, now that the large decorations have been removed from it. Much better IMHO.

4. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

Oh lordy you must ride it. It's a continuous moving ride like Haunted Mansion and your little car takes you through a history of communication gradually working your way up to the top and then you turn and come down backwards - it's a slow moving ride and stops now and again to let wheelchair users transfer. It's a must do for us. Be interesting to see how Judi Dench narrating changes it. I miss the Walter Kronkite version. Jeremy Irons just didn't cut it for me.

5. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

Yes, do it! I really do enjoy this ride. I enjoy the educational part.

6. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Peace, Love and Mickey Mouse

It's fascinating, we wouldn't ever miss this. A real classic, the animatronics are excellent.

7. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

Thanks guys....I didn't realise it was such a gentle ride! I thought it was a coaster/simulator!

8. BigThunder

BigThunder a cool thingy

Oh I LOVE SE!! I do miss the Jeremy Irons narration. Do not like the new narration at all. But then again, i don't like things to change & the version before this most recent renovation was my first experience with it so....

They have a new fun ending tho that made me laugh so hard the first time i rode it! Won't give it away.

Warning for any claustrophobic people tho, it stopped on us twice this past trip & it was in tight, small, cramped areas & I really thought i as going to get up & make a run for it. It was bad & it was for what seemed like eternity. So now I have this fear every time I ride it. SE is notorious to me for stopping often but i've the newer version does have some smaller areas I found out the hard way!