1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Splitsville at Downtown Disney Adds Gluten Free Meals

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World News & Rumors' started by Wendy, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Splitsville Luxury Lanes at Downtown Disney now has a new menu with a selection of gluten-free meals.

Mark Gibson, the co-founder of Splitsville said “We considered a separate menu, but decided to integrate the gluten-free dishes into the regular menu. So many of our guests are eating gluten-free these days, we wanted our featured “GF” items to have great flavor and appeal – we didn’t want to simply reconstruct existing dishes.”

Chef Patrick Steele set to work, creating menu additions that, while gluten-free, are also quite tasty. The biggest hits are the generous rice bowls: fiesta chicken, steak fajita, Asian shrimp and spicy veggie, all full of flavor and served with sticky rice. But it may be the gluten-free pizza crust that is the best surprise, a crunchy, thin crust topped with mozzarella and fresh tomato sauce, and you can pile on your choice of “GF” toppings. You’ll never miss the wheat flour.

Asian-Shrimp-Rice-Bowl.jpg Fiesta-Chicken-Rice-Bowl.jpg
    Asian Shrimp Rice Bowl................................. Fiesta Chicken Rice Bowl

Gluten-Free-Pizza.jpg
    Gluten Free Pizza​

While sushi is generally a safe zone, some sauces and ingredients aren’t gluten-free, like Kani Kama krab, a favorite white fish mix that contains wheat. Splitsville has added gluten-free sushi rolls – our favorite was The Alberto with no rice, just lean spicy tuna and avocado rolled in thinly sliced cucumber and served with lemon ponzu sauce.

Steak-Fajita-Rice-Bowl.jpg
    Steak Fajita Rice Bowl
    spicy-veggie-rice.jpg
    Spicy Veggie Rice​

Gluten-free appetizers include Blazing Chicken (tenderloins in spicy Buffalo sauce), steamed edamame and seared ahi tuna, which also is served as a salad with spring mix and Asian pear dressing. A gluten-free turkey BLT salad is another winner, a bowl full of roasted turkey, lettuce, avocado, tomatoes, bacon, red onion and blue cheese. Entrees include blackened mahi mahi with spicy voodoo shrimp and grilled salmon with mango chutney, fresh broccoli and sushi rice.

Fantasy-Roll.jpg
    Fantasy Roll​

Ahi-Tuna-Salad.jpg
    Ahi Tuna Salad​
    The-Alberto-Roll.jpg
    The Alberto Roll​

2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Wow. They look very nice. I don't know how well they can do Asian, as they seem to be a true bowling alley, but it sure looks like they could be given a chance. :yes:

3. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

I don't eat gluten free but I try and avoid white carbs as much as possible (apart from hot dog stuffed pizza ;) on the odd blowout!) I love things like this. The ahi tuna speaks to me! Can you eat there without bowling?

4. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Yes you can eat there without bowling. We tried it last May. Surprisingly good.