1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

St Petes or Clearwater

Discussion in 'Other Florida Parks and Attractions' started by mainecoon lover, Apr 19, 2009.

1. mainecoon lover

mainecoon lover Addicted to Mickey

What has more to do. We want to visit but will not be spending the day on the beach as no good with Beth. We would like to eat in a beach shack restraunt and take in the pier and some shopping.
    Do you have to drive through Tampa to get to them. Is driving in Tampa bad. Read some were that it was not good.

2. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

Yes, driving in Tampa is no fun! I lived in the Tampa Bay area for 2 years. I spent most of that time in traffic.

And since I went to school there I spent more time studying than visiting and I found a beach that was quiet so I avoided both St Pete and Clearwater. My place was Honeymoon Island. It was quiet and natural, but since you are not wanting to lay out in the sand, it wouldn't be the place likely for you guys.

I heard there are plenty of things to do at the Clearwater beach.

3. foreverducky

Here's some photos from Honeymoon Island. It's a park reserve to it's very natural.
    2007_0426HoneymoonIslandPark0011.jpg

2007_0426HoneymoonIslandPark0028.jpg

2007_0426HoneymoonIslandPark0041.jpg

4. mainecoon lover

Oh my gosh thats beautiful. Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

5. foreverducky

And the water really is that pretty. :yes:

Oh, and I know lots of folks that return all the time to Clearwater beach.

6. mainecoon lover

7. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Depends on what you want to do.

I grew up in St. Petersburg and used most of my misspent youth traveling up and down the beach between St. Petersburg and Clearwater. There are numerous seafood places all up and down the beach between St. Pete and Clearwater. Take your pick. There were a couple of seafood places in the area known as John's Pass that used to be quite good. Also, while it's not directly on the beach, there's a place in South Pasadena (between St. Pete itself and St.Pete beach) called "Ted Peter's Smoked Fish" that's wonderful.

If you want to go to the Pier, that's on the Tampa Bay side of the peninsula. The beaches are on the other side. However, it's not a terribly long drive from the bay to the beach. The St. Pete Museum of History is down by the pier and has some interesting exhibits from "Old" St. Pete (most of which I remember).

Out on the beaches side, there's an area called Fort Desoto State Park that's home to an old fort that was originally constructed in 1898 during the Spanish-American war.

Taking the causeway from Fort Desoto through Tiera Verde out to the gulf beaches (a 10 minute ride) drops you on Gulf Boulevard at what I think, is one of the most beautiful hotels that I've ever seen. The Don Cesar. Originally opened in 1928, it has played host to the rich and famous over the years like F. Scott Fitzgerald, Lou Gehrig, and of course, Al Capone. Well worth seeing in my opinion. Even more enjoyable to stay there.

Driving in Tampa can be a challenge at rush hour, but if you're just passing through at other times during the day on I-4 and then onto I-275 it's not too bad. Just be careful of what's know as "malfunction junction". That's the intersection of I-4 and I-275 in downtown Tampa.

Hope this helps!

Tom :)macwave:... sigh... now I'm wishing I still lived there...)

8. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I'd have to say head for the St. Pete's pier. :yes: There is a Columbia House restaurant there (same as the one in Celebration) and a couple of other restaurants right on the pier. It will be easy to manuever with Beth's chair, and the walk along the pier to the shops and restaurants won't be terribly difficult either. There is ample parking.

I can't honestly remember what the public restrooms are like, but the pier shops area does have an elevator for the upper floor. :yes:

I bought the nicest pair of mary jane crocs there one year. :D :D

The end of the pier where the shops are all under cover too, so you will be able to protect Beth (and yourselves, of course) from the sun. :yes:

9. mainecoon lover

Thanks Tink. This is just what we are looking for :thumbsup:

Why is it called this. I am scared now as i will possibly be driving :unsure:

10. catrancher

It was called that for years because that was normally the place where an accident would occur during the morning rush hour. Nothing really to be concerned about. Just be aware. Most of the problems I ever saw there were due to pure, rampant, stupidity and could easily have been avoided. Really nothing to worry about.

Here... try this. :yes:

Drive it virtually before you actually go there! Click on this link and this will put you into Google maps street view on I-4 heading into Tampa. Just keep clicking the little white arrow and adjusting your direction using the slider in the upper right hand corner. Follow the signs to I-275. This way, you can see what it's actually like before you ever get there! :thumbsup:

Tom :)macwave:... no worries!)

11. mainecoon lover

Thanks Tom :thumbsup:. Off to look now. Hopefully will miss rush hour traffic.

12. catrancher

I miss the old, original pier. This is the one where my parents and grand parents would take us all on a Sunday afternoon to watch the Pelicans feed and the boats sail by. Sadly, gone since 1967 and replaced with the current one.

<center>[​IMG]

More info here.</center>

Tom :)macwave:... tradition, I tell you, tradition)

13. Tink

Oh wow, Tom. That is a great photo! I can easily see why you miss the old version! :yes:

The new one isn't half bad though (kind of like WDW, eh? If you knew it before you miss so many things, but if you didn't it's just fine now). :sigh: :)

14. mainecoon lover

Great photo :thumbsup:.

I am guessing its about 1 1/2 to 2 hour journey each way. Is there any were near that has the beach for my dad but lots for Beth to do ie shopping, pier. Thanks

15. Tink

Depending upon traffic it can be closer to two hours. It's actually taken me three before (but that was pretty unusual).

I'll let Tom answer the beach near the pier question. I know there are areas to walk, but honestly can't remember if there is a bathing beach area near there or not. We go each year for a Yankee game, so the pier is secondary to our reason for being there. :D

Yankees, Ceviche and the pier in that order. :D

16. catrancher

Actually, there's two beaches. They're small since they're actually on Tampa Bay and not the Gulf but they're right there and handy. One's actually right at the beginning of the Pier. You can see it on the map here. The other is just a few blocks north of there off North Shore Drive. Visible here on the map.

They're kinda small, like I said but they've got sand, sun and water. What else do you really need?

Tom :)macwave:... wishing he were back in old St. Pete!)

17. Tink

Thanks, Tom! I wanted to say there was a bathing beach right there, but honestly couldn't bring it up in my mind. :spring:

18. catrancher

If you like baseball, you oughta try the Kid's and the Kub's softball games sometime. Primary requirement to be a player is that you've got to be older than 75. It's a blast! Here's their website.

Tom :)macwave:... ahhh.... nostalgia)

19. Tink

Sounds like serious fun! :D

We particularly love Minor League and the way the Yankees are going this year, they should all revisit the Minors! :eek: :sigh:

20. mainecoon lover

Sorry was meaning another area we could visit with beach and things to do for Beth that was closer to Orlando