1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Stay at villa but a few nights at Disney??

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by keith, May 26, 2013.

1. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I think I could set new records for obsessing about different options :lol:

As you know, we used to stay onsite all the time but recently have discovered the many wonderous joys of a villa and car. It's truly a very freeing experience but every now and again we miss a bit of the Disney experience. Not much, not enough to swap back to onsite by any means but enough to wonder if we should stay a few nights at Disney during the holiday.

So, if you were going to have a couple of weeks at Disney mainly in a villa, and you fancied a few nights at Disney, would you:-

1. spend a few nights at Disney at the very start - gets you into the Disney spirit but then it's over and since it would only be a couple of nights or so, it wouldn't be long before packing up all the luggage etc. plus , sometimes it takes me a while to relax into the holiday anyway

2. Spend a few nights at disney in the middle. Could possibly leave the luggage at the villa, have a few nights to do say mickeys christmas party, stay late at a park etc. and a bus/boat back

3. a few nights at the end - we did this last time and it was awfully sad leaving the villa and going to stay in one room at the hotel and then leaving from there to go home, so probably our least favourite option

And which hotel??
    all stars/pop - funish but not much location advantage really, no restaurant
    port orleans - a step up, enjoy the boats to DTD but not sure it's special enough for a couple of nights
    AKL - fun theming, WL - christmassy, GF - christmassy, real quality feel, great restaurants , contemporary - can see the castle most clearly, good restaurants (poly never really considered)

2. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

When we've done that we've always done it at the end...thinking about DVC at GF now though....:rotfl:

3. keith

I think it's going to be EXTREMELY busy for a while when it opens! All I'm hearing is excitement from people about it. I don't know what they've seen that I havent? Why would it be any nicer/better than what's at the GF now? (other than I guess larger suites available)

4. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Last summer we did a week at the condo then did 2 nights at Beach Club before we headed home. It was a very nice way to end the trip!!

5. keith

That's very similar to what we did in December but to me it felt a bit of an anticlimax after the Villa really. Had to pack everything up, leave the wonderful villa.. head over to a single room at disney and then rush out on the leaving day rather than a leisurely pack at the villa.

I'm sorta thinking a few days in the middle may be best? Do the christmas party one of the evenings mmm

6. Johnie

Well everything about leaving is awful :-(

I can tell you that Universal trips are always at the beginning now. We did it at the end one year and just too tired to enjoy it.

7. keith

yeah so so true ;-(((

You managed to totally freak me out when I was sitting there in celebration a couple of weeks ago at the only restaurant really open that time and your facebook status said "at celebration" :lol: well done on that by the way :taunt:

Sad to say it feels so long ago now

Universal for a couple of nights at the start could be interesting

8. Johnie

HAHA! Your message sounded quite concerned! I wasn't even in Celebration proper when I posted that.

If you go to Universal like we did the first time, don't make our mistake. We started off the vacation at Royal Pacific and then headed over to All Star Movies. Movies is perfectly fine but quite a step down lol

9. keith

Celebration was pretty empty at that time! all the cars were gone from the parking by the restaurants/main street apart from ours :lol: I truly expected you to be in the bar or something

yeah... I think we'd do a night or two at universal just to get the early entry/head of the line for harry potter, then an evening at citywalk without having to worry about driving back. Then back to the Villa

10. Johnie

Universal is one of the few places that I absolutely don't need a car (NYC being another). Everything is so compact and much smaller than WDW that I don't feel like it takes forever to get back to the room. Universal does charge for hotel parking (just an FYI). Citywalk is lots of fun. Definitely go to the dueling pianos at Pat O'Brians!

11. keith

Thanks for the heads up on the hotel parking. I always think that's REALLY cheeky to charge people who are staying there but still

yep, one of our favourite places :) especially 2 for 1 hurricanes

12. Johnie

Sadly, the hotel parking charge is commonplace in larger cities :-( Don't go to DC and try to park!

I remember years ago going to Atlanta and the hotel charged parking. The lady checking in in front of us was shocked! She kept saying, "oh lawdy" in a very Southern accent. It was only $10 a night which I thought was pretty cheap lol.

13. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

I like not just being in a hotel room, own bedroom, washing machine, being able to cook if you want

14. arkvilla

arkvilla Addicted to Mickey

After all the busy days at the parks it may be best to do your villa stay at the end of your trip, that's what we tend to advise our guests to do (but they are not a seasoned Florida visitor as you are :) )

Sandra

15. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

I would have a few days in the middle, you only need to take a small amount with you and if you forget something g you can go back to the villa and get it. What about having your anniversary at Disney and then going back to the villa afterwards. You could stay at the Wilderness Lodge and it would be close to MK and V & A and it would also be romantic for your anniversary :D

I wouldn't go at the end, I like the lazy day at the villa before we go to the airport :lol:

16. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

I would definitely do it at the end, a bit of Disney magic to leave you on a high before returning home.

17. Wendy

So what are you going to do :D

I mean you used to be indecisive but now you can't make your mind up :whistle:

18. keith

I dont know if it's maybe that I could possibly be indecisive, but it could just be that I can't make my mind up. Perhaps.

I think I'm going to do a few nights at the contemporary in the middle so I can go out on the balcony overnight and watch the castle. I can walk over to the mk to do the party night then

19. Wendy

Sounds like a good idea and you will enjoy sitting on the balcony. Will you make the reservation now so that you have got the extra 10 days for Be Our Guest?

20. keith

yeah everyone I've spoken to has said that reservations are already limited for that time for special ones like MK Views, so I'm going to grab a reservation now and try for BoG