1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

staying on a diet at disney?

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by disneymom, Sep 26, 2008.

1. disneymom

disneymom Imagineer

Is it possible to stay on a diet at disney or do you normally just forget it while youre there?

Im on a low carb at the moment which is driving me mad :(

2. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

you could try and be as good as possible, just meat and salad or something. It would be hard though

3. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

Low carb is hard no matter where you are--at least for me! Love my carbs! :lol:

Actual dieting at WDW is difficult if you're staying in a hotel rather than a villa or something with cooking facilities.

It's probably better to think of it as watching what you eat. You're going to splurge--just try not to go overboard all the time!

You'll also be walking--a lot! Most people walk over 5 miles daily in the parks--usually 8 to 10 miles. That helps with some of the usually forbidden treats we all like to indulge in while on holiday.

Quite honestly, other than trying to graze a bit (eat 5 or 6 times daily) and include reasonable servings of fruits and veggies, I don't worry too much about what I eat at WDW--and usually lose about 10 lbs. in a 10 to 12 night visit. For me, the biggest insult to my body is to eat large meals--it just doesn't handle large quantities of food at one time. And I end up miserable! :lol:

Now, if I could just keep it off after I return home! :rolleyes:

4. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

I'm one of those who normally doesn't pay too much attention to diet while at WDW. But yes, you can stick to a diet. Let your waiter/waitress know up front what you can and can't eat and they can modify menu choices for you.

5. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Back when the Atkins diet was really really big, even Pop century did special low carb sandwiches which were pretty nice actually! I noticed other places around the same time such as ruby tuesday had special low carb menus too. Last time we were out there they'd largely disappeared though

6. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I honestly believe you can. You'll need a comprehensive grasp of what you can have and then just seek it out.

as you know I am doing a doctor supervised meal replacement program that allows one real meal per day. that real meal is classic Atkins style low carb except that it restricts all fats. I knw what I can have and I seek it out. I'm not afraid to ask for steamed, no fat added vegetables at a full service restaurant for example.

Disney also has sugar free desserts now in some places (although, oddly enough not at full service restaurants) so you can at least have ice cream, brownies, and cheesecake.

you can coose to go off your plan, of course but that will be a true choice not something you are forced to do for lack of options.