1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Staying onsite

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by Isafari, May 31, 2010.

1. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

We've never stayed onsite so I have very little knowledge of anything to do with the resorts etc.

What makes you stay onsite?
    What are the extra little perks that make it worth while for you?
  2. Britchick

Britchick Forum Host Forum Host

Being immersed in part of the magic, towel animals, charging, shopping delivery to room/resort. The option to get the bus back when I've had a Margarita, no parking charges
  3. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

:Iagree: :yeahthat:

Oh, yeah. And if you get a really good one, the bus drivers! :thumbsup:

Seriously, we always drive down to Disney. I tell all my friends that when I arrive, I check into the hotel onsite (POR), take the car to the parking lot, unload the luggage, put the sun screens in the car windows and lastly, remove my brain and place it on the front seat. Then lock the car. I won't see either of them (the car or my brain) for an entire week! :yes:

Tom :)macwave:... in the heart of the magic!)
  4. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

I like to be immersed in Disney - I go on holiday to WDW not Orlando/Florida. We do poke our heads out now and again but I love the feeling each day of going back through those Disney gates :yes:
  5. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Although we own a villa and spend most of out time there, we usually spend some of our DVC points to fund a few days at the GF.
    Having stayed there so many times it really feels like home to us and by know we have made friends with many of the CM`s at the resort.
    We tend to do all of the Disney stuff while we are staying in the middle of the Magic, leaving the exploration of the rest that Florida has on offer when we are at the villa.
  6. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

ive never stayed onsite either, i would like to but not for the whole trip as it just works out too expensive for us, well it was with the kids going, might be different now. i just like the villa quietness, but ive nothing to compare it too. not sure staying onsite would suit my condition either
  7. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Well let's see.

1. The Disney Experience morning, noon and night
    2. Free transportation (though we most often drive)
    3. Free delivery of packages to the room.
    4. Charging to our room key (main reason we are staying POR in Oct vice Swan/Dolphin or Shades of Green)
    5. EMH (when we decide to use it)
  8. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

For me, staying on the site allows me to feel the disney magic for full two weeks as everything is screaming DISNEY!

It is more expensive than off site but if you are off site you are experiencing both WDW and Orlando whereas if you are staying onsite you are experience the whole Disney theme throughout etc.

That for me is a 'real value for money' in some sense.
  9. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

We dont ever stay on site, i cant justify the price of what disney charges against the prices on i-drive. I would rather stay on i-drive and travel too and from disney if it meant i would be able to go there
  10. Tinkfan

Tinkfan Earning my ears

:hug2: We're pretty much in the same boat aren't we Mick. Honestly though if I get tired it's easier for me to be able to go back and rest. My heart rate climbs so high sometimes it's not safe for me to drive and that effects my glucose. :sorry:But we just have 3 in a room and we can stay in the Value resorts. For the first time we're looking at staying deluxe this November,it will be our last trip for maybe a long time.I see the doc. for a check up soon and he's not going to be pleased :unsure: I've lost 10 pounds in 6 weeks and I hope we get to go in November.
  11. gwennie81

gwennie81 Earning my ears

Staying onsite is the best. Especially when you find a resort you really "click" with. For me it's All-Star Sports (I'm a bare-bones type of gal)! The All-Stars offer convenience and value. If you're like me and rarely spend time in the room, the perks would be transportation, shipping packages back to the resort, a decent cafeteria, gift shop, a pool (if desired), and access to all the parks and Downtown Disney. If I'm feeling like I want to "splurge" then I go to Port Orleans Riverside for the atmosphere, quiet, and jogging trail.
    The $14/day to park isn't worth it sometimes. I'm a passholder and have been getting great rates on rooms the past few years. You can't beat $59-$89/nite on WDW property!

Disclaimer: I'm a single FL resident. I have no idea the amount of time, money, and energy that goes into planning a family vacation. If you can get an awesome rate offsite during peak season and the costs versus benefits of staying onsite during your stay works out, go for it. BUT if you plan on being AT WDW during the majority of your stay, you might want to stay onsite for the convenience of being able to quickly go back to your room when it's the kids' naptime or if your health demands it.
  12. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

Same sort of situation here Kate. We do so many 'extras' when we are on holiday which is where I'd rather our cash be spent. I'd say we spend nearly half our trip at WDW parks but we love the other parks too plus exploring what else Florida has to offer.

If money were no object though, I'd love to stay at AKL.