1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Stroller questions..

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World' started by Shellyamc, May 1, 2013.

1. Shellyamc

Shellyamc Serious Forum Regular

Yup - here come the questions :lol:

I am in need of some stroller help. Last trip we brought 2 "higher end" umbrella strollers. They have shocks and the ability to recline, but other than that they are small umbrella strollers. That was with an almost 5 year old and a 2 1/2 year old.

So this trip we will have a turning 7 year old (who never uses a stroller, but I don't know if she might have moments?), a 4 year old (who will need breaks), and a 1 year 7 month old (who will be in a stroller a lot). We do have a double stroller that is front and back, but it is a MONSTER and I think I would rather carry all 3 kids on my back than fold it up and take it on a bus. I have looked into other doubles, but they seems so huge and expensive to boot!

So does anyone have any advice on this subject? Thanks!!

2. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

First of all...

:worship: :worship: :worship: for bravery!

As for the actual question -

Katie will probably be fine walking - especially considering you'll have two small one's that will require breaks from time to time. If you make sure she takes advantage of those breaks; she'll likely make it through the day w/out incident. As for the younger two - I'd probably take a light but comfy umbrella stroller for Marc (that perhaps Miss Katie could take a turn in if she wishes when Marc is up and about) and a comfy single (full) stroller for Anthony. Double strollers seem incredibly unwieldy to me, both in side by side form and front to back (though those seem a bit better), however I have seen families navigate them successfully when necessary. Personally, I find two singles easier than one double. I also think it's a better formula for those times when perhaps you're just popping out for dinner or a swim and Anthony will be the only one who needs a ride.

Just my thoughts...

3. Shellyamc

Such a fine line between bravery and stupidity :lol:

I think that is the direction I am leaning, but I will take any thoughts/advice that anyone has to give!! I honestly would hate to buy a double stroller since we do have one. It is great for dragging out of the car in the morning and packing up at the end of the day, but not for dragging onto a bus! :nono:

4. Beccaberry

The one thing to consider with having two singles vs one double is that you and Drew are now outnumbered :)

If you take two strollers, either one parent will have to be in charge of loading both strollers on a bus while the other wrangles all three children, or each of you will have to load one stroller while managing children at the same time. It's not UN-doable either way, you'll just want to have a plan in place before you leave...and quite frankly, you may even want to practice a couple of times! You'll find Katie very helpful with Marc, I think. Especially if you chat with her about it beforehand and let her know what the expectation is.

5. Beccaberry

HAHAHAHA either way you're gonna be in Disney, and that makes it worth whichever side of the line you find yourself on!!!

6. Shellyamc

We will have Nani and Poppie with us :wiggle::yes: They are a pain in my butt ( :wink: ), but are so helpful for these situations! They will be able to grab the 2 older ones while we deal the baby and the stuff :) This was a major concern though before we knew if they were coming. I think that if it was just Drew and I, I would lean toward the double just so that someone would have a free hand :yes:

7. Beccaberry

See there! I KNEW you'd already have an answer for this! Ah well, hope that means you and Drew will be slipping out one evening for a "date night" :wink:

8. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

You can rent strollers from off site places. I will send info when I get home.

I would go with single strollers as opposed to a double. Those things ate crazy big

9. Sam

Sam Imagineer

Man I feel worn out for you. I can't offer any advice sorry petal, but you do certainly have my sympathy with all the juggling. Still it'll all be worth it. xx

10. Suebeattie

Suebeattie Addicted to Mickey

Maybe think about having a comfy stroller for anthony and then seeing how marc goes when your in the park - you could always hire one of the park strollers. I know it could work out expensive though.
    It could be that as Marc is starting to wear out anthony decides hes really had enough of being in the stroller and wants out for a little while.
    Perhaps if funds permit you could hire one of those double park strollers and then katie has the option to have a rest as well.
    You are definitely braver than I am - im anxious at how zac will be when we go. Hes just started throwing tantrums about being in his stroller or car seat and then if we let him walk he throws a tantrum because hes got reigns on. Hes only 14months so I have no idea what he'll be like in 6 months time :eek: lol

:wiggle:

11. Shellyamc

Last trip Drew fell asleep with the kids and I went to do some laundry which was more like me laying in a chair near the pool looking at stars :D

What?? You don't want to be run over with my giant stroller??? ;)

This might be a good idea. I know the Disney ones are large enough for Katie to sit down as well - thanks!! I know how you feel with taking a little one. Anthony, so far, seems to be much more like Katie was at that age. Very laid back and easy going. Marc was our wild card and we had moments were we paid dearly, but overall he was good and he has a ton more memories than we thought he would. He hated waiting in line, but was fine when we got on the ride, so my advice is to bring stuff to keep him busy!

12. Johnie

The plus side to Disney strollers is that you don't have to fold them up and put them on a bus or anything....... They are hard so maybe bring a blanket/pillow?

13. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Could your single comfy stroller for AJ have a "rider's stand" for Katie?

I do not like the WDW strollers at all. They are hard, children are cigarette in the face high, they are filthy, and you have no way to transport children to and from the park.

14. Shellyamc

I did look into those and they are pretty expensive :unsure: Honestly though the stroller we would use for AJ isn't strong enough to hold the step.

I am looking into a few of the rental places to see what they might have available.

15. Johnie

16. Suebeattie

Suebeattie Addicted to Mickey

Thanks shelly, I plan on having my ipad or my husbands Iphone to help entertain.
    Other than that trying to avoid long lines lol

:wiggle:

17. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

I havent read other replies, but here's my 2 cents

Take strollers for ALL the kids if possible

We went last year with
    1. seven year old
    2. 4 year olds
    1. 18 month old

They ALL rode strollers. We didnt have a stroller for the 7yo, but by noon on the second day it was obvious we needed one to keep the peace! And strollers inside Disney arent that cheap, so if you can take your own, that would be best.

Now, as for what I would do, I would take 1 single stroller from home for your toddler, that way he can use it at the airport. And I would rent a double reclining stroller ( I love baby jogger ones, they are side by side, easy to fold, fully recline, have great sun coverage, etc...)

Then... I would put Katie in the single umbrella stroller and the boys in the double. If Katie decides she wants to walk, you can fold the umbrella stroller and place it across the hood of the double stroller.

There are several rental companies, Ive heard good thing about Orlando Stroller Rental...

We will be renting a Baby Jogger double stroller, from Apple Stroller because they had a very good promotion, so it was around 35 for the whole week

18. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

more on this ...

We rented a Disney stroller for the 7yo on the second day, we didnt like the experience.. hard to push, very uncomfortable, no sun coverage, filthy, and you have to get in line to get one, and get in line to bring it back, gets lost among thousands of identical strollers, plus, you cant use it outside the parks.

The downside of having 2 strollers and 3 kids is managing them all on buses. However, you could take the single umbrella and AJ, your hubby could take the double and Marc, and Katie will surely be able to manage getting on and off the bus on her own :)

19. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

Last time we went we didn't have a stroller for Ben who was 4 at the time, and he won't have one this year, he'll be 6. He was fine walking and we just took regular breaks. I guess it helps that we go for quite a long time so aren't as rushed perhaps :)

20. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Mari, that is wonderful advice!