1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Surviving Devon

Discussion in 'Non Disney Trips and Travels' started by Dawn, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Oh heavens. I'm sorry about the head! :hug1:

I was certain you were going to say Willow snagged your cake! :lol:

Did Willow not attempt to run the deer? :unsure:

My burning question of the day is why do you share a room with the boy and Adrian is sent off to solitary?
  2. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

It's either that or share a room with the dog. Willow is not allowed to sleep in the kitchen with Hayley in case they make too much noise or something. I'm pretty sure they would just sleep. But anyway it works for us.
  3. Claire

Claire She lost the crayons!

Sore heads are miserable. Still want your dog........
  4. Dawn

Wednesday and we're up at 7am. A semi-casual breakfast and by 8am we are ready to go. Willow is not coming with us today and is not happy about it, but she is promised a long walk and lots of cuddles so she lets us go on our way.

We're off to Plymouth for the day. :D I'm driving because I have previous experience of driving around the Plymouth one way system. However I have no previous experience of driving across Dartmoor in the driving rain. Dare I say, it was a bit gairy. :eek: Single lane road (with caravans) sideways drizzle, and these roads are not straight. Had to stop briefly because a little voice in the back announced that they felt poorly and the last time he said that he followed it with a bout of profuse vomiting. I pull into a layby and Steven has a little walk up and down with Daddy and a drink of water and feels a bit better. Adrian gets in the back with Steven for the rest of the trip just in case.

Takes about an hour to get to Plymouth and we negotiate the city centre and pull into a car park at about 9.20am.

First stop - Starbucks. :D

[​IMG]

Had a little look around the shops after this. Found a keyring with buttons on that played phrases from Star Wars. Steven loved it, Adrian hated it, I bought it. :rofl: All the rest of the day we heard C3PO saying "we're doomed" every 2 minutes. :D

Went in the Disney store but it was full of HSM stuff and baby stuff so we stormed out in protest. Went into Woolworths instead where Steven found a cool Ben 10 toy to spend his own money on. It's still drizzling so we head into the covered market area and have a look around and of course Adrian's book radar homes in on a book stall. A quick perusal reveals there's nothing there to interest Steven or myself so we stand and wait while Adrian browses...and wait...and wait...and start to misbehave and eventually he pays for 2 books and stops us embarassing him. :D

The rain is beginning to let up so we walk down to the Hoe and look at the huge Naval memorial there. From there we walk around the coast road toward the Barbican area.

Plymouth Sound

[​IMG]

Can you see how windy it is?

[​IMG]

And Steven gets ready to see off the pesky Spanish armada. :lol:

[​IMG]

So here's one for the Americans. We walk down to the Barbican and this spot where Adrian and Steven are standing is known as the Mayflower Steps. It is at this exact point that the Pilgrims set sail for the colonies on the Mayflower. They said "we've had enough of this persecution, we're going to Disney World". :rofl:

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  5. Jazmine

Jazmine Dancing Queen!

Fantastic pics Dawn, Steven and Willow are sooooo cute keep having fun
    Jacqui :hug2:xxx
  6. Dawn

Well we're at the Barbican because it's the home of the National Marine Aquarium and Steven loves looking at fishies. Thanks to a tip off by Teresa we have our 20% off voucher so we pay the nice man and go in.

A male, very pregnant seahorse.

[​IMG]

He would have stood there all afternoon if we'd let him.

[​IMG]

Spiny crab.

[​IMG]

Moray eel.

[​IMG]

And lots of Nemos who all decided to swim downwards the moment they saw my camera.

[​IMG]

We spent a good couple of hours in there and it is awesome. Definitely recommend it. We let the boy loose in the gift shop and he chose a book about sharks. :lol:

Back outside it's still raining - but hey, we're used to it by now - and we head into the Barbican area in search of food. Steven wants a pasty. And we find a pasty shop. Not a Cornish pasty because we're in Devon but pretty close.

[​IMG]

Next door to the pasty shop is a used book shop. Guess who gets left sitting with Steven while someone goes to browse. Eventually I have to send Steven in with threats again. Not least because Adrian has the backpack with our drinks in it. :eek:

We have a stroll from there back to the town to collect the car. Now it's time for our special plans. I navigate the Plymouth one way system and after a few minutes we're pulling up at the Torpoint ferry.

[​IMG]

A short wait and we drive on to the ferry. Steven's first boat trip. He's happy to stay in the car and he's a bit wary.

Something amazing happens as the ferry leaves the Devon shore. The sky turns blue and the sun comes out! :eek:

Short boat ride later and we're driving off on the Cornwall side of the river Tamar. I mutter to myself as I negotiate the landmarks to our destination - tattoo shop, Scumerfield, garage where petrol is 2p a litre dearer than over the river and the weird shop where you turn left.

Couple of minutes later and I'm pulling up - outside Teresa's house!!! :207:

I love going to Teresa's. It's one of those places were I feel instantly chilled and relaxed. Tried to persuade Adrian that he needed to watch 7 hours of WDW holiday footage but he wasn't really up for it. So we looked at some photos and watched a Sea World DVD. Then we got the "we're doomed" sound off of the keyring and on to our mobile phones so now there's no getting away from it. I was allowed to touch the special tea towels. :D Jack got some of his toys down for Steven to play with but Steven thought that Billy the cat was the best toy ever. Jack watched Ben10 with Steven and declared it "awesome." He's developing a nice sarcastic streak is that young man - I may take him on as my padawan. :rofl: Teresa and Adrian went out for fish and chips for everyone and then all too soon it was time to go. :( Hugs all round and we're back in the car where Steven announces "where was pudding?" :lol:

Back on the ferry. This time Steven is brave and gets out to have a look. You can see the scary Tamar bridge which isn't scary anymore.

[​IMG]

Uneventful drive back and we are soon carrying in a still-sleeping Steven and putting him straight to bed. Willow suddenly realised her humans had come back and went absolutely mad.

We'd had a lovely day. Thank you to Teresa for opening your door to us. Will do it again soon.:D

Anyway we couldn't face bad TV and silence after a great day out so we went to bed.
  7. Tink

Wow! Sounds like a wonderfully busy day. :yes: Must say it looked a chilly summer day though. :eek:
  8. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

*sigh* sounds like you guys are having a brilliant holiday so far ;-)

Am truly loving the photos.
  9. kazzaqld

kazzaqld Addicted to Mickey

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    I LOVE seahorses, Dawn - that one looked cute!

If you ever get to Tasmania, check out Seahorse World - it was so fun!

http://www.seahorseworld.com.au/home.htm

They let Gareth get one wrapped around his finger!
  10. Tink

Seahorses are quite a civilized little species. Males carry those little babies to birth. Gotta love that idea. :D :yes:
  11. Dawn

Thursday.

We had some strange plans for today. When we'd arrived in Devon we saw all these signs for the Okehampton Agricultural Show on the 14th August. For a laugh I suggested we go. Well over the week it got serious that we were all going to go and trudge around a field looking at sheep and cows and tractors. Then we found out there was a dog show and we were definitely going. Then last night we found out that the ground was waterlogged and the show had been cancelled. Oh well. Willow would have walked away with cutest dog award easily. :(

So it's Thursday and funnily enough there's blazing sunshine. Great day for an agricultural show if the field wasn't under water. Never mind what shall we do. Adrian's parents have a huge selection of leaflets for attractions in the area but frustratingly most of them do not allow dogs. :mad:

Eventually we decided to go back to Bude and play on the beach again. Mother in law agreed. Huh? I discreetly asked Adrian and it appears they may have invited themselves along with us for the day. :eek:

OK we're ready to go. We wait 20 minutes for father in law to do whatever he was doing with the car and dogs are loaded and we're off. Park in same car park and quickly check out the bodies going into wetsuits. :haha:

Persuaded Steven that he should put his beach stuff on before he soaked his normal clothes and we were off over the beach. The tide was out so we had quite a trek to reach water but because the sea was way over there it meant it had left rock pools to play in. :207:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. Dawn

I should point out that it was very warm but I kept my jacket on because if I'd put it down on the sand a wet dog would have rolled on it. :rofl:
  13. Tink

Nice! Nice! Looks like all are having a great time! :yes:

(Nice recovery on the jacket, Dawn). :D
  14. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

Cool! Loving the pics.
  15. Dawn

We were in the rockpools for nearly 2 hours but then it was lunchtime and we were all starving. Walked back to the cars and got the boy changed and got most of the sand off of us and gave the dogs a drink. Then stood about for 20 minutes while father in law faffed around deciding which sock went on which foot.

Now we need to find somewhere to eat. With dogs. Apparently mother in law knew some places so we set off. It soon becomes apparent she's just wandering aimlessly. :mad:

We find a place by the canal with tables outside and me and Adrian make an executive decision and sit down. Adrian goes in to order the food and we sit outside in the sun and wait. Still a lovely day. I spot a bird by the side of the canal. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

We are enjoying a pleasant lunch and somehow me and Steven end up talking about the Olympics in China. Steven announces that China has the most people - his way of saying it's the most populous country on the planet. I tell him he's correct and that India is the next country and catching China fast. Then mother in law spouts that if Britain keeps letting illegal people in we'll be next. I froze. Adrian held his breath. Now I know people are entitled to their opinions but Steven is at an age where he listens and understands what statements like that mean. I was absolutely fuming. :mad: Luckily he didn't seem to hear what she had said. The woman escaped a :slap:

We finish dinner and get an ice cream from next door and then Steven says we have to walk out to the end of the breakwater again. Well it's still sunny and definitely not as windy as Monday so off we go. I want this house.

[​IMG]

We walk out and as the tide is still out there are little private beaches at the end. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another view

[​IMG]

Me and Willow hiding.

[​IMG]

Love this one. :D

[​IMG]

And here I'm explaining to Steven about limpets.

[​IMG]

Our parking is getting near expiry so we head back up to proper land, walking past Bude castle on the way. Steven finds a mini castle.

[​IMG]

Then as we're walking back to the car I hold my breath again. There are two women coming the other way. Clearly a couple. I tense up and wait for father in law to comment. :mad: He hasn't seen them. I can relax again.

We drive back to their house, stopping for petrol and supplies on the way back. Willow is absolutely caked with sand, her white bits have turned orange. :rofl: Surprisingly she is allowed back in the house on our return.

Adrian makes dinner for us tonight. I've given up with their kitchen. There is not a single sharp knife or a cooking utensil that is less than 20 years old in that place. :eek:

After Steven has been de-beached and put to bed we sit in front of the TV again. Some time during a programme about this stupid woman who owns a hotel I lose the will to live and go to bed. I may have had tears of frustration by now. I may just have been tired.
  16. Tink

Well, the outing portion of the day sounds lovely. :yes:

Steven is going to learn that there are different points of view in this world. He'll learn that he doesn't agree with all of them. He'll learn, as we all did that sometimes even if we love someone we don't (or can't) always agree with their thoughts, ideas, and feelings. It's a part of growing up.

You'll handle his questions when the times come (as I know they are right now) just fine. :yes:
  17. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

Ah yes... I have a father like that with his comments... it's a wonder I don't hit him over the head with a chair sometimes.
  18. Dawn

I know he needs to know this stuff but 5 is too young to deal with bigotry. I just wish they'd think before blurting some of that stuff out.
  19. Dizneyblonde

Dizneyblonde Secret's Birthday Fairy!

Fab report Dawn and it was so good to see you all.

Can't wait for the 'tattoo' visit ;)
  20. Dawn

Steven still wants Billy the cat. He keeps saying "next time we go to grandma and grandads can we go to Teresa's again?"

:rofl: