1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Rumour Tables in wonderland to be stopped at many disney signature restaurants

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by keith, Dec 15, 2013.

1. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

We went to Victoria & Alberts last night. WONDERFUL as ever but as we gave in our Tables in Wonderland card, the server said "you do know this is being stopped?". Indeed the benefits leaflet with the card says that it will no longer be usable at V&A past August 2014. (as well as a load more blackout dates for various places)

In the discussion that followed the server said that most Disney signature restaurants were unhappy with the scheme and now that they're all full nearly all the time, didn't feel like the discount was needed to get people in the restaurants. In other words, the discount is costing them money they don't feel like they need to lose.

Tables in wonderland say they can only comment on V&A since that has already made the decision to stop accepting it for sure. However, it doesn't look good for this discount :(

I think this is a huge shame. There's a compulsory tip added whenever we use the card of 18-20% so it's not as if the card does anything other than pay the tip but still that's worth something given the high Disney prices.

At $500 last night, we'd have been looking to pay an additional $100 tip (and that's not a large bill for V&A)

Ever since they've had this discount, Disney Dining Experience as it was known before Tables in wonderland, they've seemed only half heartedly committed to it. It was hard to get, then it was put up in price several times, not very well advertised and finally not accepted everywhere.

Still, if all the good restaurants stop taking it then it will mean a few things for us. a) we'll eat offsite for less money and generally better quality b) we won't buy the card saving $100odd c) we've sometimes only got an annual pass to get the TIW card, so we may well forget the AP as well

Apparently cast members love TIW as well because although they get 20% food bills anyway, the TIW gives them 20% off alcohol as well.
  2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Seriously bad news. :(
  3. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

This is just wrong.
  4. keith

I think they're just so busy and fully booked now that they feel they can pretty much do whatever they like. This is the first year at this time, first two weeks of December, when we've seen the parks packed. 10 yrs ago at this time, we'd have been talking empty parks, walk into le cellier and been the only one of a few tables there, lots of discounts and niceness. Now everyone's rushed, all the restaurants booked and even at this time, huge waits on rides with pushing and shoving to get between attractions.
  5. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Disney's plan is working then, I don't think they don't want day visitors. All they are interested in, are the people that stay on site and live, breathe, buy and eat Disney :shrug:
  6. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I've stayed onsite twice this year and that is only due to DVC stays being gifted to us. I bought the DDP for both stays since it was just the cost of the plan. We took advantage of character meals and buffets since they are so pricey.

I WILL be going back to stating in our off site condos and eating most meals off site. It's cheaper and quite frankly a better value. An AP is still a good value for us ticket wise but I'm not using that for anything more than tickets. And the occasional 10% merchandise discount.
  7. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

We eat offsite as well Johnie, or I'll cook at the villa. We will grab a snack in the parks if we are there, but the only place we tend to eat is the YSH and that's because of Ricardo. Other than that it's always offsite :shrug:
  8. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Yeah, as has been said it`s much less expensive to eat off site.
    Nowadays we only eat on site when we are staying at the GF, mainly because of the convenience in having the retaurants relatively close by.
    The only exception to this is when we take dinner at the YSH on [traditionally] the first and last night of our visits in order to say "Hello" and then "Goodbye" to Ricardo.
    There are a lot of restaurants out there a darned site less expensive and dare I say it, better, than at WDW.
  9. keith

Ill miss V&A though :(
    I wend mad and added the Iwate Japanese Beef last night and wow, never tasted such buttery smooth, melt in the mouth beef