1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Take a crying child out of the restaurant?

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by mmouse, Jan 25, 2011.

1. mmouse

mmouse Earning my ears

This is a bit of a hot topic round here at the moment and Im not sure if its ok to post so Im sorry if its not :sorry:

If a family is at a disney restaurant and their young child is crying is it proper behaviour to take the child out immediately or try to calm them down? we've been told that this is really frowned on and children must be removed or we'll get told off by other people in the restaurant

Im kinda worried if thats the case

2. Tinkfan

Tinkfan Earning my ears

:surrender: I didn't realize that this was a hot topic! In my experience I've seen a million crying children but not a negative reaction! I would remove a child immediately if I was in one of the upscale places like California Grille or Narccoossees(spelling?) if I was in Chef Mickeys I would take a minute to calm them and then if they persisted woul remove them to the hall for a moment! Of course if arms and legs are in overdrive and the child is prostrate on the floor:tongue: by all means get them out :yes::yes:

3. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Personally, I do not mind children being children. However, if they start screaming and throwing things, then they really need to be taken outside of the restaurant or to the bathroom to calm themselves down. I never allowed my daughter to act up in public so I don't expect other parents to.

4. chief

chief Earning my ears

disney is all about children, big and small, if people frown upon my kids crying i would not take them out unless I thought it was the right thing todo like maybe something scared them or the noise upset them etc. i think if a child was upset as long as the parent remained calm and tried to soothe their child it sould not be frowned upon! [or at least it shouldnt!] x

5. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I think there is a lot to be said about being respectful to your fellow diners or shoppers, etc. If a child is crying cause they need a bottle, that's fine. If a child is crying because they got scared, that's fine. If a child is having a temper tantrum, that is NOT fine. I don't think others should have to listen to that while one tries to coddle the kid.

I go to WDW A LOT. I see a lot of things. I've seen kids who have been pushed to their limits and are absolutely overcome with exhaustion and too much stimulation and have an absolute melt down. A lot of parents just seem to ignore it and expect everyone else to be ok with it. Not cool at all. The kid needs to go back to the hotel and get some rest. Some parents are trying to get their kid back to the hotel and that is cool. Others just let the kid freak out in the middle of wherever they happen to be.

Of course, I won't say anything to the parent. But, if your child is repeatedly kicking me and my seat, I WILL say something.

6. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

I totally agree with Johnie

I also think that once youve had children,, you are far more understandable of suffering parents hahahaha

7. Tinkfan

Tinkfan Earning my ears

I agree with Johnnie and mari. Some parents push their children far beyond their limits because "they are at Disney". We were in Epcot last year during extra magic hours and there was achild begging to eat because she hadn't eaten since breakfast ( it was about 10:00 at night) and dad kept saying no, it was too expensive and that they would eat at the hotel and to stop crying. Horrible parenting. Especially when Ty was small we tried to keep mealtimes as close as we could and took frequent rest and snack/drink breaks throughout the day. We visited Hall of the Presidents, Carousel of Progress, Ellens Energy Adventure during the heat of the day often lol! It's not fun to be small, hungry, hot and exhausted!

8. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

It really does depend upon the many factors... what restaurant, what time of day/night, what is the general reason for the crying, can the child be soothed rather quickly, or is this a full blown screaming session?

I too hate to see children pushed beyond their limits. Yes, it's Disney. Yes, you've paid a small fortune to be there. Yes, it's exciting. NO the child's body and needs won't understand that and YOU will have to make provisions for the sensory overload.

Outside of Disney, yes I fully expect parents to remove a child who is crying loudly (regardless of age) from the restaurant.

9. Tinkfan

Tinkfan Earning my ears

:wave: Good to see you sis!!!