1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Disney & Orlando Secrets Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community...
    It's easy, fast, totally free (and always will be) and you'll be able to start chatting immediately :)

Take me on a trip I'd like to go some day, Take me to New York 2008 - Day 7

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Steven, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Steven

Steven Earning my ears

Day 7 - May 16th 2008..

Woke up at 1am.. ( went to bed at 10ish) , packed my case and we left for MCO , Orlando International. Never been to this airport before.. Was quite excited! We got there very very smoothly.. No getting lost LOL. Arrived there about 3am.. Saw the Continental check-in didn't open till 4.30.. poops.. So we sat and waited, I went online on my Itouch for a bit.

Flight's on time.
    [​IMG]

Then it was time for a Maccy D's brekkie!
    [​IMG]

Once checked in - Seats 18a , b and c - Headed through security.. Very quick I may add. Hopped on a train woohoo and went to the Continental terminal..
    It was really empty.
    [​IMG]

MCO is a really really nice airport - Far nicer than Sanford!!!!

Boarded at 7am and pushed back soon after for our 7.30 departure.
    [​IMG]

Can't fault continental at all, really good service and friendly crew.

Coming into land in Newark.. eeeeeeee look at the weather!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

Quick exit from the airport and off to the taxi rank. Had a horrible taxi driver, we told him the full address of the hotel and he said OK! He couldn't speak any English.. Well not much anyways.. So we get to Manhattan ( WOOHOO!) and he tries to drop us off at this weird place??? Ive never been there before but I KNOW this isn't our hotel!!!! He said here ya go , financial district, we said errr Millennium Hilton?? and he argued no , you said financial!! Grrr!! In the end he did take us there.

Walked into the hotel - WOW! #### think I'm in the wrong place!!!!!!!!!!!

OHHHHHHH something exciting happened here, as the rents checked in, I spotted a celebrity!!!!!!!!!!! For anyone who is into club music.. I spotted CASCADA!!! WOOHOO! Took a piccie.
    [​IMG]

IF that woman wasn't with her I'd of asked for a piccie with her.

Got a room on the 43rd floor.. Wooohoo! Had to wait for it to be cleaned though, we got there like 4 or 5 hours before check in time , LOL!

So left our bags with the butler ( LOL) and went next door to Century 21 - WOW! What a shop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Soon after went back and our room was done.

View of the hotel.
    [​IMG]

View from the front of the hotel.. So hard to believe the twin towers once stood behind that wooden fence.

[​IMG]

View of the Brooklyn bridge from the 55th floor of the hotel.
    [​IMG]

NOW , it was time to explore!!! Dinner was at Papa Johns - Veeeery good pizza!

Eeeeeee! We decided to go uptown - ON THE SUBWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ICK! What a horrible experience..!!!!!!! Best part was , getting off at the Grand Central Station!!!

[​IMG]

The weather today is so horrible. It's raining so much!!!! My camera kept breaking, it was sodden with water!!!

Times square
    [​IMG]

We wandered about for an hour and we were getting very soggy - it wasn't nice at all. So we TRIED to get a taxi tot ake us back tot he hotel! OMG , it was rush hour on a Friday afternoon in the rain. NO CHANCE!!!!!!!! Tried for an hour and a half.. No luck! So we went in search of a restaurant. Found a gorgeous little American diner. I had cheese cake!!!
    [​IMG]

Empire state from by Macy's.

[​IMG]

Now wet through, we go to a taxi rank and wait for an hour for a taxi, that did come. I was in bed for 8pm.. So shattered...

Didn't have such a good day - first impressions of the big apple, really not so good. Luckily that all changes tomorrow :D Lots of pics in day 8...

2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Oh I have so been there too. Slogging around in the rain in NYC. Gorgeous views of the bridge though.

The wooden fence still makes my heart ache. :(