1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Taxi Cab Rates Increase In Orlando

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by Wendy, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Taxi Cab fares in Orlando will be increasing in price as the City Council voted on Monday to increase rates by 9 percent.

While the fare increase applies only to the city of Orlando, Mears Transportation owns around half of the taxi cabs servicing in and around the city. A spokesperson for that company said Mears plans to adhere to the rate increase throughout the Orlando area.

2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

wow huge increase! as if they werent already expensive enough!

3. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Oh my gosh! What are they trying to do, convince people to rent cars or something? SHEESH!!! That is a monumental increase, outdistancing any sort of cost of doing business or cost of living.

I'll bet the crazy gas prices are behind it, or maybe increased taxes or fees levied against the cab companies.

4. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

You ought to see the gas prices over here Tink. :jawdrop:

5. Tink

I'm afraid to ask. :eek:

OK, I'll be brave. How much? :unsure:

6. keith

we're paying about £1.47 per uk litre

3.79 (ish) uk litres to a US gallon...

so about £5.57 per gallon at the exchange rate of 1.63 = $9.10 per Gallon

We've been trying to recruit good computer based skills recently and for the first time ever we've had a lot of applicants phone to find out exactly where we're based and then say they wouldnt be able to afford to travel to us each day without some kind of fuel allowance. Sadly most are entry level and without suitable experience it's not worth our while to take on that burden as well as having to train them.

For the first time ever last month, the average cost to fill the family car rose to more than the average weekly shopping bill for a family of four.

It's a real constraining factor for UK growth and a real hit on family's income. It's also set to rise again significantly when the UK government raises tax on fuel further later this year. (more than 80% of the cost of UK fuel is actually tax :( )

7. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

I cringe every time i fill up with petrol now, Jon's car is over £100 to fill !!

8. keith

yep.... put £100 ($160) in mine the other day and it was just past 3/4 :(

9. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Since Chris took on his new position he is on the road every day, he gets a mileage allowance of 25p a mile :rolleyes2:

In the last budget they said it would increase to 45p a mile, but his Agency say they aren't raising it. The official word is that 25p a mile is more than enough if you have a car that does 50 miles to the gallon :nono: they seem to have forgotten about the tyres, wear and tear, extra servicing :sigh:

Oh and he can't have a rental car because it's cheaper for the Agency if he uses his own car :mad:

10. Tink

I sincerely don't know what I'd do. I spend about $120 give or take a week on gas. There is another $100 or so in tolls, and that's just work, not "living."

As gas approached $4 a gallon here, I seriously started looking for other employment opportunities. Nothing yet.

I heard on NPR global news the other day that the economy in the UK took another downturn.

I don't know who does the determining, but there is no upturn here yet either, regardless of what the so called experts say. Basic needs of life, groceries, utilities and for those of us who work and drive, gas continue to rise.

Having said that, our gas prices are down a little from $3.97 or so a gallon to about $3.79. Every little bit helps, but until it drops closer to $3, it is no true relief.

Does the UK have a reliable public transit system? The US does not. The only viable public transits are in the major cities. :sigh:

11. keith

Not really and what there is, is increasingly expensive. Little used routes have been cut and the more lucrative routes have seen consistently large price hikes. The excuse is of course that fuel costs are going up for them as well.

As tax on fuel increases, the government continues to say that it's to discourage carbon emissions and encourage public transportation use but everyone knows the tax money is just used for other things.

The average UK salary is around the £25k (<$40k) depending where you are in the country, so once you add in one of the highest income taxes, sales tax at 20%, fuel, gas/electric at premium prices... it's all a bit crazy.

Now, I'm all for a shift in working practices. It's silly to have so many people racing around spending money on fuel when they could work from home using the internet, but there's no incentives for companies to put such things in place nor training/help on how to make such a fundamental shift in working. Then of course, there are many jobs which simply can't be done from home and will always need an element of travel.

crazy times

12. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

We have no public transport to speak of, I live in a very rural small town. If we didn't have a car we couldn't get anywhere, there is a train but is quite restrictive and doesn't run on a Sunday. I'm seriously thinking of selling my car and getting a Lambretta, i've seen a red and cream one in a local shop. I used to have one when i was 16 :yes:

13. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

In my case, the company I work for found tremendous incentives in allowing the technology folks to work from home. Granted, it's a huge company and technology counts for a large portion of our employee base but they've actually managed to close numerous buildings in various cities and let the leases go. Tremendous cost savings. Greatly reduced floor plan cost per employee.

And since my commute now implies going downstairs at home, I can't say that I mind in the least. :thumbsup:

Tom :)macwave:... less time on the road, more time working.)

14. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

A return ticket from where i live into town is not far off of £5 which is alot considering its only a couple of miles!

We very rarely use taxi's in florida, we use the i-rides and lynx buses - and if we didnt before, we definately would now!!

15. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

Public transport in Britain is a joke. I pay the best part of a fiver for a trip into Liverpool, a twenty minute drive.