1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Tea at grand floridian?

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by mikefromny, Aug 10, 2008.

1. mikefromny

mikefromny Earning my ears

Hi all , whats the afternoon tea at the grand floridian like and how long does it take? thanks :wave:

2. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

It's very nice. We've been several times. How long it takes really depends on you and what you order. I'd say to allow at least an hour.

3. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

They serve the tea in a small dining area at the end of the main lobby.
    You are given a wide variety of teas to choose from along with some sandwiches and cakes.
    It`s a pleasant way to spend an hour or so relaxing in there and most folks tend to dress up in smart casual attire although I have occasionally seen folks in there in their park clothes which seemed a bit out of place.

4. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Are they all flowery teas or do they have nice "normal" teas too ;)

5. Slowhand

Well I`m not an expert [actually I don`t normally drink tea at all Keith], but they have all sorts on offer. Earl Grey, Darjeeling are 2 that spring to mind...didn`t notice any PG Tips though!:lol:

6. Johnie

Traditional Tea Selections

Tea selections are $5.95 per person

Custom Blends
    Made exclusively for Gardenview Tea Room.

Gardenview Blend - A signature blend made exclusively for Gardenview Tea Room.

Princess Breakfast Tea - A sweet custom blend of South African organic rooibos flavored with vanilla bean and a hint of strawberries. Rich in antioxidants and vitamins, and naturally decaffeinated.

White & Green Teas
    The most delicate of teas: White teas are highly prized because of their consistency of top buds and leaves only. Named after the silver down hairs that cover the young unopened bud.
    China green tea is known for its mild and subtle taste, refreshing aroma, and pale hues. The leaves range in appearance from silver to deep emerald. Japanese tea leaves are often brilliant green, reminiscent of the lush gardens they are grown in. They produce liquor that range from jade green to light yellow, with a fragrant puckery and slightly sweet taste.

Jade Leaf Green Tea - Hand picked then withered and gently dried for delicacy and a hint of sweetness. Naturally low in caffeine.

Floral Jasmine Green - Delicately perfumed with golden jasmine blossoms with fresh mellow overtones and a slightly astringent finish. Sweet, slightly tannic finish.

Jasmine White - Scented multiple times with fresh jasmine blossoms for a delicate aroma of golden Jasmine and outstanding liquor. Naturally very low in caffeine.

Black Teas
    Fully fermented, gaining color and character from the processing of the leaves.

Osmanthus Oolong - Top grade oolong tea from Formosa delicately scented with rare Osmanthus flowers for a broad and unique flavor. Highly coveted and prized for its champagne aroma and deep rich flavor.

Imperial English Breakfast - Elegant and refined smooth sweetness. A blend of Ceylon and China Black Teas.

Russian Earl Grey - Inspired by the old tradition of shipping tea with lemon for flavor: Made from the rind of spicy Bergamot orange to give the exotic blend of citrus.

Eros - Medium bodied Ceylon: Sweet Mandarin orange with warm vanilla for a sweet, smooth and creamy finish.

Cassis - A rich black currant flavor for an exceptionally aromatic and sweet finish.

Mad Hatter - A blend of passion fruit, pomegranate, and vanilla for a clean and sweet finish. Perfect with decadent desserts and companions.

Herbal Infusions
    A collection of herbs, flowers, fruits, berries, or spices from around the world. Herbal Infusions are naturally caffeine free.

Chamomile Flowers - A tranquil and calming herbal infusion of sweet and fragrant golden chamomile blossoms combined for a mild and sweet taste. Soft and musty aroma combined with a smooth, apple-like finish.

Harmony - A tranquil blend of sweet chamomile blossoms, peppermint, allspice and orange blossoms for a mild and sweet taste.

Lemon Verbena - Naturally caffeine-free, a refreshing infusion of lemon verbena, lemongrass, lemon balm, and lemon peel; a favorite during the summertime.

Jamaican Spice - A zesty herbal infusion with red liquor and a bouquet of flavors, tartness of hibiscus and sweetness of cinnamon for a sweet, tangy, and spicy finish.

Nobo Whole Fruit - Full bodied and rich in sweetness. An array of berries and apple, accompanied with hibiscus, rose hips, and cornflowers.

Vanilla Rooibos - Rich and full bodied with creamy vanilla finish.

Afternoon Tea Offerings

The Grand Tea - The classic English tradition of Afternoon Tea, Grand Floridian style. We offer you a variety of tea sandwiches, scones and jam tarts, followed by your choice of our freshly baked tea pastries or English trifle, accompanied by a glass of Domaine Ste.-Michelle sparkling wine and your choice of tea. $25.50 per guest (Example of tea sandwiches may include: cucumber with watercress, shrimp salad with dill, chicken salad with almonds, grilled pear with gorgonzola, and egg salad, each on a different bread.)

Prince Edward's Tea - A delicious array of assorted pates, and English Blue Stilton, the "King" of English cheeses, served with marinated fresh berries, and Cumberland sauce. We then offer our delicious fresh-baked scones served with rich Devonshire cream. Your choice of our tea with a glass of our Fonseca Bin 27 Character Port. $21.00 per guest

Buckingham Palace - Our traditional tea sandwiches, scones and jam tarts complemented by fresh strawberries and cream, or a selection of freshly baked pastries, along with your choice of tea. $19.50 per guest

Sally Lunn Tea - Sally Lunn bread dates back to the 18th century where it was baked fresh, then sold on the streets of Bath England by the creator. Here at the Grand Floridian, we have carried on this tradition of this sweet yeast bread served lightly toasted with apricot preserves. This is followed by a choice of either trifle or strawberries and cream, along with your choice of tea. $13.50 per guest.

Mrs. Potts Tea - For the young tea lover in your party, we offer a variety of tea sandwiches, tuna salad, ham and cheese, peanut butter and jelly on white bread. We serve our Mad Hatter tea (chocolate milk), followed by a choice of two pastries $10.50 per guest

A La Carte Offerings

British Cheese Plate - a selection of traditional British cheeses, served with an array of seasonal fruit $12.50

Gentleman's Tea Platter - house-made duck and cherry terrine, chicken & pork roulade, country pate en croute, accompanied by marinated berries, cumberland sauce and English Blue Stilton $10.50

Plate of Assorted Tea Sandwiches - $8.50

English Blue Stilton Cheese - served with walnuts and marinated berries $6.95; served with Foncesca Port $12.75

Strawberries and Cream - $6.95

English Trifle - $6.95

Freshly Baked Scones with Devonshire Cream and Preserves - $3.50

Two Jam Tarts - $3.50

Sally Lunn Bread - $3.50

Lemon Pound Cake - $3.50

Pastries $2.75 each

Specialty Drinks include: Brandy Alexander, Champagne Cocktail, Grand Mimosa - $7.50

A variety of beverages (alcoholic and non-alcoholic are available)

Non-Alcoholic:
    Press Pot Colombian Coffee $5.95
    Press Pot Colombian Decaf Coffee $5.95
    Espresso $3.19
    Cappuccino $3.69
    Hot Chocolate $2.19
    Milk (hot or cold) $2.19
    Chocolate Milk $2.19
    Coke, Sprite, or Diet Coke $2.19
    Apple or Orange Juice $2.29
    Mineral Water $3.25

Selections from the bar:
    Fonseca Bin 27, Character, N.V. $7.00
    B & B $9.00
    Budweiser $6.00
    Miller Lite $6.00
    Coors Light $6.00
    Samuel Adams $6.50
    Heineken $6.50
    Bass Ale $6.75
    Stella Artois $6.75

Champagne and Sparkling Wine:
    Taittinger La Francaise Brut, N.V. $74.00 per bottle
    Moet et Chandon White Star, N.V. $74.00 per bottle
    Iron Horse Fairy Tale Cuvee Brut, Sonoma '97 $10.50 per glass, $55.00 per bottle
    Domaine Ste.-Michelle, Blanc de Blanc, Columbia Valley $7.50 per glass, $34.00 per bottle
    Martinelli Sparkling Cider $5.50 per glass, $22.00 per bottle

*Wine and Spirits available upon request.

7. keith

:rofl:

I'm very much an English breakfast kinda guy or Orange pekoe at a stretch :D

8. Slowhand

Now you are talking Johnie.
    Who needs tea when you can have champagne instead? [Apart from the cost that is! :shocked025:]

9. keith

WOW Thanks Johnie!

Yep, champagne sounds perfect :lol:

10. Johnie

:p I have been known to ask for a Coke at times. That is, until I learned I like my tea with milk.

The Sally Lund bread is really, really good.

11. luvthemouse

luvthemouse My nickname is DANGER

The Jamaican Spice tea is wonderful!! And it has a interesting red color..
    We really enjoyed the tea the day we went. I'm hoping to fit it in again this trip..

12. Slowhand

Yeah, milk is far better in tea than Coke Johnie! :lol:

13. Johnie

:lol: you always make me laugh.

14. keith

now please tell the rest of the US that tea is taken with MILK not CREAM and the world will be a better place :lol:

Actually we were at H&V once and they brought us tea with cream. I said argh no milk please. Now insert five minute comedy sketch here with waitress saying "milk? you dont want tea now?" etc... anyway end of it, she walked off and I heard another server say to her "whats the matter with them?" she said "they're english" the other one said "oh sure" :rofl:

15. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Well, I'm the dissenting voice here. :sigh; (Not only do I like cream in my tea :eek: ) but I had the worst High Tea at the GF. :(

I'll take the time to drive to Mount Dora and visit the Windsor Rose for a proper High Tea from now on. :yes:

I know that it was probably just an off day, but spending nearly $100 and getting dry scones, sandwiches so old the edges of the bread were curling up, nasty berries and flat champagne, served by a woman who just didn't care a bit was more than I want to re-live. :shrug:

16. Debbie2

Debbie2 Speedy!

It's a nice experience but we felt it was expensive for what we got and the sandwich fillings were yuk.

17. keith

Tink, Tink, Tink.... where DO I start

18. PsychoAlice

PsychoAlice Resident Anarchist

Umm Im doing this on Sept 14th...and going with a fully tattooed guy...Im not changing my clothing...but if its nasty I am gonna go with not going...sounds like a waste of time...

19. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

i did it once and it was cute but i prefer our afternoon teas in the UK.

oh and a little tip for you, dont go on the tea cups in MK afterwards:oops:

20. kazzaqld

kazzaqld Addicted to Mickey

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    I really enjoyed it when we went!

The servers were lovely, they explained everything very well, and the food was very nice.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience Tink - that's a real shame. It is one of my favourite memories of last trip. Of course part of that could be that we banished the boys and just did a girls afternoon with some of the nicest company you could have. :hug2: