1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Technical help for iLife 11 from the apple geeks please

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by Skywatcher, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

hmm just loaded up the updates and 2 problems 1 of which I have mailed apple about the other I simply can not resolve and I need the help of our resident geeks

loaded up the update fine

opened iphoto and it started rebuilding the library

wandered off to get a drink

Thomas ( very excited about iMovie) opens imovie

Imovie tried to download movies from iphoto , but that database was being rebuilt and after a short bit of bar hung

iPhoto completes and opens and works fine

force quit iMovie and reopen and it says - checking Iphoto - no loading bar just the spinning beachball of death - nada every time - no way to get it to rebuild its database and imovie hangs

log in under the boy - open iphoto then imovie and it all works fine , as it does for all the other accounts

Now i presume it has a corrupted database or something but I cannot see a way to clear it and start again - any ideas??

At the moment I have less than I had before I upgraded grr

Oh and the other thing? iPhoto used to let you save your adjustments to a photo and 'paste' them onto the next photo in the set so you could in effect batch process your images - this has been removed in this upgrade, sounds petty but I used this an awful lot and there is no way to go back as far as I can see

So any ideas????
  2. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

You might try this:

In your ~/Library/Preferences directory (~ means your user id), delete:
    1. com.apple.iMovieApp.plist
    2. com.apple.iMovie.LSSharedFileList.plist
    3. com.apple.iMovie.plist

Then relaunch iMovie and see what happens. If that doesn't do it, I'd delete those same files, then re-install iMovie.

Best ideas I've got at the moment.

Tom :)macwave:... sigh...)
  3. tb2830

tb2830 Addicted to Mickey

after i loaded the software.....and when i went to open iphoto nothing would happen then i did software update it restarted then everything worked absolutely fine
  4. Skywatcher

Thanks Tom will try. Yep Tracey the update was mandatory
  5. Skywatcher

Hmm those files don't exist trying a re install
  6. Skywatcher

OK i removed imovie from applications, reinstalled and now iPhoto has a slash through it and it says it is corrupted and has some items missing

I am seriously panicing now , couldn't stand to lose all our photos,

this is not turning into a good upgrade at all

any ideas how I now fix IPhoto?
  7. Skywatcher

OK a reinstall of iphoto has worked but despite a reinstall and moving the now present files above to the trash, iMovie is not working at all

We have quite a few small videos in our iphoto library taken on the camera and I'm not that keenon moving them tbh as they area ll part of that 'event'
  8. catrancher

Ok. Here's a page with a little more information than the files I mentioned. You may want to go through their instructions as they include removing the caches.

Hope this helps!

Tom :)macwave:... :tapnails:)
  9. Skywatcher

Thanks Tom , but after all that I still get the spinning beachball and no noise from the hard drive.

:(

Gutted , was working fine before the upgrade, genuinely wish I hadn't bothered , was going to make a nice shiny vid of the kids baby videos
  10. tb2830

chris if at first you dont succeed try and try again

if all esle fails

take it into apple

i honestly had no problems whatsoever
  11. Skywatcher

I also had the same issue when I was trying out the aperture trial, it hung trying to upload the iphoto library - I have rebuilt the library countless times

I have also deleted all the aperture cache and files as well, felt sure that was an issue but nope

Wish there was a way to open imovie like you do iphoto with alt-cmd so you can rebuild its database
  12. tb2830

search google chris see if anyone esle has had the same problem
  13. catrancher

Chris,

Don't give up. The more I research this the more options there appear to be. There's several other things that we can try.

However, first things first.

I want you to go to your home directory and make copies of your "Movies" folder and your "Pictures" folder. Just right click on the folder name and say "Duplicate". Hopefully, you've got enough disk space to do that. Do it to each folder individually.

Once you've done that, we're going to create a new iPhoto library to use temporarily. Hold down the "option" key and launch iPhoto. This will present you with a dialog box like this:

[​IMG]

Note that I deliberately smudged my second iPhoto library name in that picture. There's some things on my computer I don't want certain people to see! :D

Anyway, for you, choose "Create New...". This will create a new, empty iPhoto library for you. Give it a name. Anything you'd like. Once it's done that, quit iPhoto and then, as soon as it's quit, restart iPhoto. If that all worked right, you should have an empty iPhoto library as your default. Relax, you can always get back to your other one just by holding down the "option" key as you launch iPhoto. This will give you the same dialog box as above but will let you choose which library you'd like to use.

Anyway, now that we've got an empty iPhoto library as our default iPhoto library, try to launch iMovie. :fingers:

Does it come up? :fingers: :fingers:

If it does, then we know there's something in your original iPhoto library that's causing a problem. Now, we've just gotta find it. But this is the first step.

If you'd like me to help you walk through the process, shoot me a PM and I'll PM my .Me screen name back to you. We can open up an iChat session and you can share your desktop with me and I'll walk you through it.

I'll be up and available for a while yet or you can catch me tomorrow if you'd like.

Tom :)macwave:... we'll get there. Longest journey begin with first step or some such Oriental nonsense!)

PS - I'm an idiot. Forgot to answer the quoted bit above. There is a way to do that. Hold down the "option" key while you launch iMovie. It'll check all it's data bases. This supposedly only checks the database for accuracy. It doesn't actually destroy anything. Or so I'm told. But you made a backup first, didn't you?

Me :)macwave:... again!)
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  14. Skywatcher

Thank you Tom for your time and patience , sorry not been on but we ahd the week off.

It seems there are many people experienceing this and the issue is teh avi files in my back library

if i delete the iapp file in the library preferences the application opens but it freezes the second it tries to connect to iPhoto.

One solution is to convert all the avi's to MP4 which will take an age as I think I have several hundred

So we wait for them to fix it, as I said before i am really unhappy about this as I did have a piece of software that was working very adequately up until the upgrade, te changes have meant that it no longer functions and so far I am really not happy that I have forked out £40 for the privalage

On a better not the Time Capsule is working well on the network - it wont relace the wireless modem as it doesn't havea modem facility so I have just added it to the network, but it is nice to have time machine whirring away backing things up without the wires
  15. catrancher

Well, at least you got it figured out. Not ideal, but at least it's an answer. Long term, you probably do need to lose the AVI's. Turn them into MP4's. There's loads of converters available that should be able to do it.

Glad you're liking the Time Capsule though! :thumbsup:

BTW - you do know that there's ways we can reinstall the old version of iMovie for you don't you?

Tom :)macwave:... converted!)
  16. Skywatcher

Well its still not what I'd call 'stable' but I went for the option of ... waiting until they updated it with a fix and one came out last week that ' improved stability with some known bugs' and at least it loads and works most of the time now.#

It is a shame that it has taken so long after release for the issue to be addressed as I know I wasn't alone in this, would have been very useful to be able to 'roll back' to the previous version until the had fixed it.

Anyway working at last, thanks all
  17. catrancher

Glad it's getting sorted. :thumbsup:

But there's one other thing that I think I forgot to mention earlier.

Do you have Perian installed? :unsure: Perian is like the Swiss Army knife of Quicktime components so it allows you to use a whole bunch of movie formats in Quicktime player (or anything else that uses Quicktime).

Another one you may want is Flip4Mac. I "think" that URL will work for you. It's the US MicroSnort site. This one allows you to play WMV files in Quicktime. Also very useful! :yes:

Tom :)macwave:... plugins for fun and profit!)
  18. Skywatcher

brilliant thanks Tom - as said on the otehr thread I really rate these applications and one of the most brilliant aspects is the fact everything is catalogued together and is so easily passable between applications
  19. pablowest

pablowest Earning my ears

Hi tb2830. Your advise also applied to me. I will try my best though I fail many times. :D