1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Tell me about cruising

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line' started by Johnie, Oct 23, 2008.

1. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Poor dining partners, I hope they can get some kind of discount for putting up with me :lol:

2. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

If you recall we`ve been there and got the tee shirt remember, so no worries there!

3. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Cheers and much appreciated (still think you should ask for a discount though ;)

4. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Ahhh.... don't I know it.

I'm hoping but right now it's not looking too promising. :mad:

Too many other things that must be done. Darn it!
    But... if the situation changes, you can be it's first on my list!

BTW... in case Keith chickens out, there's always this. :laugh2:

Couldn't get the YouTube embed to work so you've gotta take it the way it is.

Ahhh... pining for my misspent youth!

Tom (who's trying to figure out a way)

5. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Great link Tom....even though it makes me feel old!
    Gerry Marsden was the first "celeb" I met way back in the 60`s. He was a really nice guy and had loads of time for folks pestering him for his autograph, unlike Neil Diamond as I recall from your tale which you told on the "Magic".

6. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Yeah, made me feel old when I saw it too! The worst part was actually being able to remember those hairdos on the girls! :laugh2:

Tom (whose memory isn't as bad as he thought)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  7. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I haven't read the entire thread, but wanted to tell you that we've cruised Norwegian and really loved it.

We've done it a couple of times. We like it mainely for the free style dining, and the lack of required formal wear (it's an option on formal night).

What Norwegian Ship are you thinkning of? :unsure:

I'd say that NCL is a great way to see if you are going to like cruising at all. Their prices are pretty competitive and the food (although not always "to die for" ) is quite passable. :yes:

8. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I beleive it's the Majesty. I'll have to look.

9. BevW

BevW Addicted to Mickey

the ONLY negative thing about the cruise that I can think of is there was just food EVERYWHERE!!! And of course, I had to sample just about everything :lol:

You'll never be bored, even though you're on a ship. There's always something going on.
    And you get spoiled spoiled spoiled!

10. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

Check out the QMII, Keith.

Crystal also offers really nice amenities.

Leu and I are just beginning to think about a longer holiday in three or four years to encompass either a European River or Mediterranean cruise and several days on either end. Leu finally decided she would like to visit Europe, London in particular. I figure the timeline gives me a chance to learn dust off my practically non-existent French, Italian and Spanish! :lol: Haven't used them since university! :eek:

I'll be asking many, many questions in the future. :D

11. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Ah. Not been aboard the Majesty. It's one of their older ships (which is not a problem, mind)!

You'll want to know how their spa area is set up. Some NCL ships have gorgeous spa areas, others not so great. (The Spirit's spa was pretty rudimentary). Their spa offerings are by Mandala and usually quite nice. Hold off on booking until underway as they offer nice discounts (usually!) once they get going and see how high the demand is. :yes:

Make sure you know what is available in each port outside the special excursions. Sometimes you won't need to book something special (is the town within walking distance?) other times it's the only way to do anything ashore (like in Hawaii, no excursion? No reason to go ashore).

12. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

Johnie, I was probably one of the greatest skeptics, but after going on our first cruise (20 anniversary) I was sold on it. We have had 3 cruises - 2 out of Florida on Royal Caribbean (Bahamas and then Western Caribbean/Mexico) and a Carnival cruise to Alaska.

Issues:
    Food - better IMO on RCL, very good overall. It is not all about food though. Great selection, but fortunately the portions are smaller now. You can have another entre if you wish.

Table mates - great fun to meet new people. We were paired with 4 other couples (one gay couple) who were celebrating anniversaries. We spent a lot of time with all of them.

Sea Sickenss - not too much an issue, new boats are huge with stabilizers. Hint don't take interior room - get some view of horizon that helps. Get a room mid ship not on highest levels as they tend to rock more.

Excursions - pick an choose, some good some not so good (Lots of extra tipping in Bahamas as one guide passes you off to another)

In short there is little to not like. DD wants to go this summer as graduation celebration. Going with our neighbors/friends whose daughter is also graduating from Alex's high school.