1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

tell me more about disney cruise?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line' started by littleangel, Jun 15, 2010.

1. littleangel

littleangel Earning my ears

ok, I've never been on a cruise but I've always dreamt about it I didnt really realise disney had its own cruises

are they mainly for kids and loud or what? where do they go to and from and sorry to ask , is it expensive?
  2. Tinker

Tinker Earning my ears

Not noisy with kids whatsoever . A matter of fact the CM's in the Oceaneer Club & Labs keep them so busy, parents said, they don't even want to join them for dinners . And the ones that do are very well behaved .
    They cruise out of Port Canaveral, FL . Right now there are two ships the Magic & The Wonder . Right now , The Magic is doing a speciality cruise in Europe out of Barcelona Spain . The Wonder is doing The Eastern & Western Carribean .
    On January 26th , the newest Disney Ship, The Dream arrives and departs Port Canaveral Fl for a 3 or 4 night cruise to Nassay Bahamas .
    The Disney Magic will be back to do the Carribean cruises and doing some speciality cruises to Alaska . The Disney Wonder is headed to LA , Cali to do the Mexican Riviera .
    In 2012, The new Disney Fantasy will make its debut . Not sure of their agenda yet .
    You can find some good deals, but really depends on which stateroom you wish to stay in .
  3. Tinker

Tinker Earning my ears

And how can I forget about Castaway Cay , which is Disney's very own private island . But you will only do that on the ships out of Florida . They actually just built a water park at Castaway Cay .
    Everything except alcohol & excursions are all inclusive .
    They all have gorgeous Disney plays onboard .
    The only ship that shoots fireworks . The evening of the pirate party .
    There are two dinners to choose from 6 PM and 8PM . Your servers rotate with you .
    You can also eat at Palo's . A posh restaurant on top of the ship . I think its $15.00 per person .
  4. goofygal

goofygal Imagineer

sorry for butting into the post but what about tips and things like that? is that expensive?
  5. Tinker

Tinker Earning my ears

One dinner is formal , ladies dress in gowns and gorgeous dresses . Men can rent tuxs through a company that delivers them straight to the Disney Cruise . Some also wears nice suits . It's the evening the captain eats with you .
    There is always something going on . You will receive a navigatoe every evening , so you can plan out just what you want to see & do .
  6. Tinker

Tinker Earning my ears

You pay your own gratuity . There is a list on the DCL website , so you know who gets what . Depending on the amount of days you are there . On the seven night , I think we paid a total of $133.00 . You pay the stateroom host ( cleans your stateroom ) The MatrieD' , your 2 servers and host or hostess . Of course you tip the bartender accordingly .
    Forgot , there is also a private pool on board for adults and at Castaway Cay , its Serenity Bay .
  7. goofygal

goofygal Imagineer

thanks tinker thats brilliant you know so much about this stuff:yes:
  8. Tinker

Tinker Earning my ears

Hi Goofygal ... you are most welcome . I've been on the cruises to the Bahamas and Western Carribean five times now . Not sure when, but going on The Dream next year . Anything else I can help you with , just ask . :hug2:
  9. goofygal

goofygal Imagineer

5 times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

take me with you pulease! :yes:
  10. Tinker

Tinker Earning my ears

AnyTime, you want to go . :lol:
  11. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I've got a bit of a different point of view. :) I found the cruise (four day) that we were on to be one of our less pleasant cruise experiences.

Bands of maruading teens were roaming the ship in the evenings, running up and down staircases, shouting on the higher outside decks, ect. They really needed some additional supervision.

You can have the tips taken care of by paying for them with your shipboard account and giving the servers and cabin attendents preprinted vouchers for the amount of the tip. That way you don't have to worry about having the correct amount of cash on you.

I'm not sure we'll do a Disney cruise again. We prefer the ones that cater more toward just adults, such as Norwegian, ect. (And for us, Olivia was the very best experience).

That's the beauty of Disney though. What one person loves another won't care for. So! Many options. Don't care for the cruise? There are the fun filled parks and beautiful resorts! :yes:
  12. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I have not been on a Disney cruise. In fact, I just took my first cruise this past April. We did a 3 night cruise to test the waters so to speak. I loved it!

I personally think the Disney cruises are very expensive compared to their counterparts.
  13. Tink

They are indeed. They are very children centered too. Not that that is a bad thing by any means. :D

The adults only sections (and they do a good job of providing several adult only areas) tend to be quite boring in comparison! :D
  14. Johnie

There were tons of children on our cruise...not that we noticed DURING the cruise. They keep them heavily entertained on a different deck. We only saw them during boarding.
  15. Tinker

Tinker Earning my ears

I'm so sorry you had a bad time onboard the DCL . It's very unusual as the petty officers are walking the halls and checking for any and all clowning around .
    You went in June, right, Sister Tink ? I have never cruised in the summer months . We have always gone in February or May , while most children are still in school .
    Herself and Yourself should give it another try when children are in school . One time isn't enough . Just like I've been told about bad servers at restaurants at the resorts . I'm speaking of Cali Grill . We went and swore we'd never do it again . Our server was horrible . Very Rude ! we listened to our dear forum members and gave it another go and it was excellent .
  16. Tinker

Tinker Earning my ears

Johnie ~ there are specials that we got right through the travel company that you work for . $ 499.00 each and this was in May ... for a seven night Western Carribean . Yes, it was an inside staterrom, but Jim & I only sleep, shower & change . At such a cheap price we couldn't pass it up . There are deals out there . I found it on my own before booking . And again, it depends on the time of year you go to how many children are onboard .
  17. Tink

Hi Sister Tinker. We went at the end of August and first of September when many kids were back in school.

I'm not going to belabor the whole thing again, but there were many more issues other than the unruly teens. :sorry: I can honestly say that I have no desire to pay that kind of money for a Disney cruise again. :sorry:

If I'm going to do a specialty cruise, I'll stick with Olivia. :yes: It's the proverbial different strokes for different folks philosophy! :D
  18. Tinker

Tinker Earning my ears

And please let me add, as far as the expense , you get what you paid for with Disney . :lol:
  19. Johnie

That's not a bad price for 7 nights. I do not think I would be able to do an inside room. I didn't spend a lot of time in the room but that thing was small and we had a view! And I practically had to shower with the bathroom door open because it was so tight in there :tongue:
  20. Tink

Nope. :D We didn't! We paid a premium cost and recieved poor service, poor food and veyr poor accommodation. I've paid less (much less) for a longer cruise and had better everything. :sorry:

Again, what works for one, doesn't work for another eh? :D I LOVE WDW parks... some folks think there is no more magic there, that it's all on the cruises. I still see magic in the parks.

Different perspectives, eh? :D