1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Tepan Edo

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by josh.p., Jun 24, 2011.

1. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

Finally got to visit Tepan Edo tonight and I was SO disappointed with it :sorry: I told them I was a vegetarian but the chef cooked my vegetables with the same utensils as all the meat stuff.. there was actually a bit of meat on my vegetables when they were passed to me. I didn't want to interrupt the chef and spoil everyone's enjoyment so I went and quietly found a server.. a manager stopped me and asked me what was wrong.

They replaced my veggies with ones cooked in the kitchen and gave me some extra noodles. This place is fairly expensive ($18 for what was basically noodles, some brocolli and carrots, with a side of white rice- quick service food standard if you ask me.) and to be honest, we had decided the cooking/eating experience would be worth the price, for my food to get cooked in the kitchen out back and then brought to me when everyone else at our station had already finished eating just wasn't the experience I wanted.

When the bill came I told the manager I was more than willing to pay for my meal, but the price didn't reflect the service or experience I had received and that after looking forward to it for so long, it was a real anti-climax. I explained to her that when you're on vacation, $18 on a meal might not seem very much, but I am on a budget over here and had booked this meal for a week and a half ago, I would hate to think how disappointed I'd have been if I'd have made ADRs! They gave me 20% off the food which just seemed insulting- all I wanted was a sincere apology and I didn't receive it, they made it seem as though I wanted something for nothing!

Not at all happy with that place and I won't be going back again. It was NOT Disney style customer service! I even went to guest relations to let them know as I was so peeved.

2. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

Oh that's a real shame. :thumbsdown:

Have to say it is expensive but we had a lovely time there and the chef provided enough entertainment to make us feel we'd had our moneys worth.

Sorry you had a bad time there. :hug2:

3. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I have to tell you, Josh that I'm pretty disgusted by your experience. If someone had said they were allergic to meat and received that same treatment there would have been far more serious repercussions.

Not preparing your food properly is not acceptable, especially at those prices. It's good that you lodged a formal complaint with guest services. You should always do so when you receive service that is not acceptable.

I hope the rest of your dining experiences are much better!

Take care now and try reallllly hard to not get too much sun! ;) :hug2:

4. josh.p.

To be honest I think had they not known we were cast members we would have been treated very differently. I feel because we had booked it as cast members, they didn't have to treat us like average guests. When I am on my day off and in the park as a guest, then they should treat me exactly like everyone else! :(

5. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

I was going to ask if they knew you were a CM Josh. You are absolutely right it shouldn't matter, a guest is a guest.

6. josh.p.

I have to say though, other than today, the service has remained the same if not better when they found out I was a CM. They seem to be a lot more chatty and informal but not to the point it ruins the experience. :thumbsup: Am I right in thinking Tepan Edo isn't fully owned by Disney?

7. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Yes, you are right. It's a leased property. They abide by certain Disney restrictions but are not governed by the same Disney requirements that you are... No excuses, mind! I agree with you. CMs should be treated as well (if not BETTER) than guests. I've seen the easing up between CMs that you speak of, and that is fine, but it shouldn't ever be to the point where the paying CM feels as though s/he has received sub standard service.

8. josh.p.

I could feel the difference between the two managers to be honest, I think one was Disney and the other was from the restaurant's company. The Disney one was the better of the two but still not fantastic!

9. Tinkfan

Tinkfan Earning my ears

:hug2: I know what you mean Josh, I'm allergic to pork and am always afraid that they will mess up. it takes away from your enjoyment. some years ago we ate at Wilderness Lodge at WCC and I ordered a chicken pasta dish, when I took a bite it tasted off and I asked if there was any pork in it and they said no so I ate about 1/4 of the dish. 2 hours later I was extremely ill and the next day my husband went back and yes there was bacon in the dish :sorry:(last I knew bacon was pork!!) Not fun when you invest so much $$$$

10. gwennie81

gwennie81 Earning my ears

I'm guessing it was carelessness on the part of the cook and partly because of a language barrier?

In the paper down here it seems every week there are restaurants that were cited by the Health Department for various violations. It's mostly because of careless employees. Not necessarily management.

11. josh.p.

It was bad communication between the front-of-house staff and the chef as he was unaware of the situation, the language barrier might have had something to do with it :unsure: American restaurants in general seem slightly ignorant of vegetarian eating and the dos and donts. The amount of times I've been offered a chicken nugget meal or a turkey burger as the vegetarian alternative is too many to count :rotfl:

12. gwennie81

gwennie81 Earning my ears

That is hilarious!! :point: