1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

The 'does Ava need a wee?' Trip report!

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Vikki, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

First of all, I feel a need to explain the title of this trippie!

As some of you may know, we have a 2 1/2 year old called Ava. Now, I wasn't planning on potty training her until we returned from This trip, as I didn't want the worry of making sure she had plenty of toilet stops, and didn't have any little accidents. Selfish, yes, practical, also yes :wink: Ava however, had other idea! She decided just before Christmas, when she was a month off he 2nd birthday, that she was a big girl and wanted to wear pants. Fair enough, but I have a constant worry about if ill be able to get her to a toilet in time. As many of you who've had, or have, toddlers know, when hey say they need to go, it often means 10 seconds ago!

Onto the main trippie, now we've sorted that!

Cast of characters:

Anthony: my fab hubby, trip planner (especially dining), master of the spreadsheet and list!

Ben: age six. Desperate to go on R&R, we think he's just about all enough, but we'll see.

Vikki: that's me. Likes writing trippies, not just that they might give some of you enjoyment, but I like to read them years after and relive it all.

30th July

It's kind of exciting writing that date down. We usually travel in August, our thought being that the later we travel, the lighter the crowds are in the parks. This is pretty much always the case. Those of you who have read my numerous pre-trippies will know that we decided to do a split flight, spend a week in Canada, and then fly on to Orlando, so we will be hitting the parks during the middle/end of August as usual.

So anyway, where was I? Ah yes, Tuesday. I'd decided in my wisdom to leave the packing until the last minute. Usually I do it way in advance, but this time I decided that I'd pretty much leave the main part of the packing until the Tuesday morning. Anthony had got the case down at the weekend, and I'd delicately placed a few things near them, warning the children that under no circumstances, were they allowed to touch any of said items! I felt very much like a 13 year old girl again, writing a great big 'stay out of my room' sign on the door! Since we've been having such lovely weather, we've all been wearing our Florida clothes so once these were washed, we ended up with the usual couple of days of wearing some very strangely mismatched things!

In the end, the packing wasn't really a problem. The only thing that worried me was the amount of time it took me. I'd say no more than about 20 minutes.....and the cases closed easily. That couldn't be a good thing as far as I was concerned, and I was sure I'd forgotten something. After some very 'useful' ideas on Facebook as to what I might have forgotten, I realised that, no, I had everything. So, in went the cases into the car and we were off.

We were staying overnight in a travelodge, as is usually the way for us, so we split the journey up with a quick visit to Belton Woods on the way down, as from door to door, it's about 3 1/2 hours. However, we did have to travel on the car park that is the M25, and with a potty training 2 year old, we thought 3 1/2 hours would never happen, so stopped off to stretch our legs a bit.

The travelodge was the usual that you'd expect, although it was absolutely sweltering in there! It was a pretty to day, and so stuffy, hardly got any sleep. Ah well, it's pretty rare I sleep before a flight anyway.

Next time: the flight

2. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Lol you will learn where all if the bathrooms in Orlando are. I always make everyone go before we leave, when we get there, etc. you never know. And it's always good to try

3. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

I really enjoyed reading this, looking forward to the next one!

4. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

I love the title :lol:

You are in for some exciting times, I can see it :yes:

You were very lucky on the M25, it can be terrible at times, we are going to use the A303 so we only have a couple of junctions on there.

5. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Marvelous start. :yes:

Can't wait to hear the adventure of squeezing a 2 1/2 year old and a grown adult into an aircraft rest room. :mental:

Tom :)macwave:... the Captain has turned on the seat belt sign.)

6. Vikki

The kids are still snoring, so thought I'd get on with the next one!

31st July - the one with the flight.

The kids decided that 5 am would be a great time to wake up this morning. I was not as convinced! Didn't sleep particularly well anyway due to the humidity in the room anyway.

We were all driving ourselves a bit dotty by the time it came to leave at about 8am. Got the car packed back up again and headed round to the Heathrow long stay car park. Even with the sat nav, and a massive orange sign, Anthony still managed to miss the entrance to it though :wink: thank goodness for roundabouts :lol:

The bus ride to the airport didn't take too long, and before we knew it, we were checked in, and through security. We'd promised the kids a magazine to take on the flight so that killed a good half an hour :wink: Ben, is not the most decisive of children.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375444699.382045.jpg

After a fairly uneventful hour or so we went through to the boarding gate, at which point Ava decided she needed a wee! I'd actually thought this through and up a pull up on her for the flight, in case she fell asleep. Ava however, was not impressed, and since she was a big girl, wanted to use the toilet. However, there were no toilets at the gate, so off Anthony went to find one.

Those of you who've read my reports before will know I don't like flying.....at all! So we did as we always do and got on the plane last. Compared to the massive Virgin planes we're used to, this one was tiny! It was only one level and a 2-3-2 seating plan. We'd spent an extra few quid each on the seats (only £25 or so each), so that we had extra legroom seats. I wasn't expecting too much to be honest but they were brilliant. They were bulkhead seats so we could really stretch out! Anthony sat with the children, and I sat just across the aisle. Ava fell asleep as we were going to the runway, so we thought we were in for a quiet flight, but she woke up again a few minutes later :lol: that was all the sleep she had! The flight itself was pretty uneventful. The entertainment system was brilliant! It was an on demand, which was brilliant! The food was even pretty good! The kids meals were superb and they were so well looked after. Taking Ava to the toilet was interesting to say the least, but not as difficult as when we took her as a baby, changing nappies in an airplane toilet is not fun!

After landing we got through security really quickly, and the bags were waiting for us as we got there! Suffice to say, I was very impressed with Toronto airport! We got round to the car hire place quickly, and after the usual attempt to upsell we were sent off to choose our car. We'd book a mid size SUV. When we got out there, there weren't any, thee wasn't even a sign for them, so I'm assuming they don't renew have them, so we got a full size instead :wink: the only one left was a massive Jeep, which Anthony was quite pleased with. Just looking it up, the basic model starts at £50k!

We had directions for how to get to my uncle Teds house, but we also had the sat nav. Usually the sat nav takes a good 20 minutes to realise we're in another country, but not this time. It picked up as soon as we were out of the parking garage, which was great. It said it'd only take us 90 minutes, but it lied!!!! The 401 got us back for the easy time we'd had on the M25 yesterday!

We got to uncle Teddy's about 7pm local time. Ava, bless her, had totally had it so we sent her straight off to bed. Ben stayed up with us to have a bit of tea, but then we were all tucked up and fast asleep by 9pm ish :)

Next time: this was not the weather we ordered!

7. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

Sounds great! Was that with air Canada? I love getting SUVs over there, I'm sure Ants face was like Jon's when we got our last one!

8. Vikki

Yes, it was Air Canada. The Jeep is nice, but I have to admit, I preferred the Rav 4 we had in Orlando last time.

9. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Chris would have been in seventh heaven to get a full size jeep :lol:

Now mummy, how could you put Ava in pull ups :nono: she's a big girl now :wink:

10. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Peace, Love and Mickey Mouse

Good trippies, so far. :) How long was the flight?

11. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

Vikki, great trip report...I am really enjoying the read. Will you get to the CN tower then?

12. Vikki

The flight was just under 8 hours, made pretty good time.

We won't get to the CN tower this trip unfortunately. We decided not to 'do' Toronto. I've done it before, but we decided to leave that for another time.

13. Vikki

14. Vikki

1st August - the one with the lift lock

Ava had decided that 4am was a really good time to wake up this morning, we were not so keen! So Ben went into our room and I stayed with Ava to try and convince her to go back to sleep, which she eventually did. After everyone had a really good sleep we were all awake at around 8am, which wasn't too bad, considering the time difference.

However, we were not in the slightest bit impressed with the weather! We'd left a very sunny England behind, and as we looked out of the window, it was absolutely chucking it down! Auntie Vera promised it'd clear up in a few hours though, and fortunately she was right!

After some lunch we headed down to the marina, as uncle Teddy had booked us on a boat trip. I don't know if any of you know of peterborough, but it has a very famous hydraulic lift lock. I'd seen it before on previous visits, but had never actually been on it. Photos and video will explain this one much better! It was a really lovely trip in (fortunately) glorious sunshine.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375530398.657965.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375530414.709324.jpg

After we'd been on the boat we headed back and spent some time in the pool. The kids were incredibly excited that uncle Teddy has a pool in his back garden! Auntie Vera was fascinated with the kids UV swimsuits as she'd never seen anything like it before.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375530430.523842.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375530442.445553.jpg

After a delicious tea and a lot of chatter, we were wiped out, so all decided to have an early night.

Anthony has made a great video of today, so I'll get that up soon.

Next time, a First Nation visit!

15. Vikki

16. Vikki

2nd August - the one with the First Nation visit

We were all up and off pretty early this morning as we had a busy day ahead.

I've been to Canada several times and each time we've visited the First Nation reserve at Curve Lake. I've got photos of me next to the tepees and totem poles at various heights over my life, so wanted to do the same wit my two. They both had a brilliant time playing in the tepees and Ava thought she would like one to plan in for the back garden :lol: there's a lovely little shop there, with all sorts of gifts too, which we also like so we ended up with a few bits and pieces, plus the obligatory Christmas decoration for my mum, she loves them from there!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375537489.385089.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375537506.175210.jpg

As we drove down the river, we stopped at a lock which was pretty funny. There was a houseboat there that clearly had no idea what it was meant to be doing, so there was avery nice lady telling him exactly what he needed to do. The people in the very expensive, massive boats around them looked a tad nervous!

After stopping by a beautiful creek for a picnic, we drove over to the petriglyphs, which are a type of First Nation stone carving, drawn into the rocks. Ben absolutely loved these and dining out all about the stories associated with them - try explaining what a spirit is to a 6 year old, not too easy!

Heading back home we got caught in another downpour, so when we got back, the children weren't to pleased to find out there'd be no pool time today. We had some other relatives come over for a BBQ tonight, which was was really nice, and we spent a good few hours catching up.

Next time - the next part of our trip, moving on to Niagra.

17. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

sounds lovely Vikki

18. Vikki

19. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

Well done Vikki. Thank you for sharing the report. Sounds like you are enjoying your stay in Canada, EH?

20. Vikki

3rd August - the one where we travel to Niagra

Today was our last morning with uncle Teddy, and to be perfectly honest, I was dreading it. He's my grandmas brother and is getting on in years. We're pretty close, in fact I spent 2 months with him after I did my A Levels, before I went to uni. We email and talk on Skype all the time. I don't like to think this is the last time I'll see him, but I have to realise it might be.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375749344.864559.jpg

Auntie Vera had made waffles for breakfast this morning. I have to admit, I'd never had waffles before so this was a new experience for me. I don't think I've ever seen so many types of syrup in my life! Auntie Vera had also bought lots of fruit to go on them. The waffles were delicious, although the children weren't too keen. Ben usually eats anything but he wasn't to keen on these. He ate a ton of fruit though!

After getting everything packed we came to the moment I'd dreaded. I was hoping I wouldn't get upset, but I did, so a fair few tears were shed. After lots of hugs and kisses, we pulled away, heading for Niagra.

We'd made really good time, and got past Toronto really easily, not even getting held up on the 401 this time. Ava then decided she needed a wee NOW! Fortunately we managed to pull of the highway and find somewhere just in time :wink:

Time for lunch, and we headed to subway, a big favourite of ours. After that we decided to stay off the highway and do the wine route to Niagra. We pulled off at Puddicombe Farms, and I'm so glad we did! It was a beautiful little place. There was a train that ran through the vineyards which was just lovely - the driver was from Croydon though which was kinda funny! I also discovered his dad lives five minutes from where I work! It really is a small world after all :wink: We spent a good hour or two there, playing at the playground and wandering around the farm.

We decided to stay on the wine route and go through Niagra on the Lake, as suggested by some of the people at the farm. It was a really quaint little town, but very busy! We walked down to the lake, and watched a wedding, which was just so beautiful! After stopping for some tea, we got back on the road, heading for Niagra Falls.

We found the hotel easily and happily discovered our room was pretty high up, on the 31st floor. As we walked into the room, I was totally blown away! We had a totally unobstructed view of both falls. The room was also very nice, but that was secondary as far as I was concerned :wink: Anthony had arranged for some fruit kebabs and some wine to be in the room, which was a lovely thought. I spent the next......erm, long time, sat with a glass of wine, just gazing at the beauty that is the Niagra Falls.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375749396.910808.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375749415.542068.jpg

Next time - the one with the new friends