1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

The "first time taking little man" pre-trippie

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Suebeattie, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Suebeattie

Suebeattie Addicted to Mickey

Hi , you will have to bear with me on this as this is my first pre-trip report and I will probably bore you all ! Thanks for taking the time to read and I would love to hear any suggestions or must dos :)

Background:
    We have been to Florida a few times, been lucky to visit Disneyland California and Tokyo and have had many trips to see the Big Cheese in Paris. So its safe to say most of the family are Disney fans.
    There are 9 of us going - some of us are going for 2 weeks and my brother and his family are going out a week later. The original holiday was booked for October 2012 but we ended up postponing to this year. All in all we have been booking, planning, discussing this holiday for about 3 years. To say I'm excited is an understatement and I have no idea what I'm gong to do with my time come November and we are home.

The cast:
    Me - Susan aka Sue, Suebo, Lil Sista, and Mummy. I have taken over planning for this holiday and end up going round and round in circles looking into all things Orlando. I love my holidays and love going to America for them. The last time we were in Florida was February 2008 so 5 ½ years later we are finally making it back! This trip I am on the look out for things that people normally miss and also I'm going to try different foods apart from steaks and burgers all the time.

Lee - aka Leeroy, and Daddy. Lee and I have been together for nearly 9 years and we got married in 2010 in Mauritius. He was dragged along to the first Florida trip with my parents and I in 2006 but as soon as we were there fell in love with America and was happy enough when I booked several America holidays. Lee doesn’t quite get why I am planning and planning and planning and mostly just wants to chill out and do a bit of shopping. You would think after 2 Orlando holidays and several Paris holidays he would know this isn’t really going to happen lol.

Zac - aka the baby, Zac-a-roo and monster. Zac is just over 18 months old and is going to 20 months when we travel. When we were going in 2012 he was going to be 8 months so I was too apprehensive about the flight and the holiday in general. Now we have an insight to “toddler” I am now dreading the 9 hour flight but looking forward to the holiday with him. He loves Cars and Mickey Mouse clubhouse, he will watch bits of Nemo, Monsters Inc, Special Agent Oso and Jake and the neverland pirates. He also loves the singing parts of Sophia the First so am hoping the Disney Junior live on stage will be his holiday highlight. He will happily have a sleep in his buggy so hoping we won’t need to go back to the apartment too much during the day.
    Zac will also be getting his first haircut at WDW, at the moment his hair looks like an unmade bed and we have to tame is every morning to make it look respectable. Many friends and family keep saying about his hair and that it needs to be cut and don’t quite understand why I want to leave it. There seems something magical about him getting his very first haircut at WDW.
    This is Zac
    [​IMG]
    This is us last year
    [​IMG]

Mum - aka Gill and Grandma. Mum is Mickey Mouse mad, she has probably about 100 of the small mickey and Minnie mouse teddies from all the trips to Disney she has made. Their spare bedroom is the Disney room and has allsorts of disney stuff in there. My mum and dad go to Disney quite a lot on their own (which is think is just mean to the grandchildren lol). She used to be Chief planner but I took over that role for this year.

Dad - aka Dave, The Birthday Boy and Grandad. Dad claims to get cheesed (pun intended lol) with the mouse but secretly loves it. On our trip in 2008 I wanted to see what the DVC was all about so we had a tour around one of the resorts and was talked through everything. When we were left to discuss our options Lee and I decided it was something we couldnt afford now but my Dad was all for him and my mum buying one and he was quite excited about it. He now gets dragged off to Disney Paris at least once a year and I know he loves it.

Michael - aka Mike, Uncle Mike, Big Bro and dad. Michael is my older brother and he and his family are coming to Florida for 1 week as my nephews will be in school and he doesnt want to take them out. So they can only come the week over half term. Mike isn’t too fussed about Disney and is happy to go along with everyone else

Karina - aka Auntie Reenie and Mum. Karina and my brother have been married for 12 years now and we have all been on several Disney trips to Paris and 1 to Florida. Karina is desperate to go to Universal Studios and isn’t too fussed about Disney but understands that my mum will have to take the boys to one or two of the parks

Jack aka jack-son, and captain jack - Jack will be almost 8 when we travel and is a fairly laid back little boy. He’s not into anything specific but likes to play with Lego so the lego store at DTD should be heaven for him. I think he is into spiderman and the universal characters so should enjoy himself at IOA. He is quite tall but not tall enough for some of the big rides - hes about 1 inch too short

Ben aka bennie and Ben-chow-mein - Ben is 4 and LOVES pirates. He is very excited to meet Captain Jack Sparrow and he likes Jake and the neverland pirates. He also LOVES despicable me and the minions so you can imagine his excitement when he gets to see those in Universal.

2. Suebeattie

The Plan:
    Day 1 - to the airport, we are staying at the Travelodge Gatwick Central the night before we fly. I plan on taking advantage of Twilight Check In to do bag drop, after a bit of dinner and then try to get an early night.

Day 2 - travel day, we aren’t flying until 1pm so we will have breakfast at the hotel. We have booked meet and greet parking and I am aiming to get us to the airport around 9.30 so we can have a look around duty free and the shops and then go and make the most of the V-Room. We will give Zac his lunch before heading off to the gate and will try to leave it as long as possible before getting on the plane for the dreaded 9 hour flight.
    When we arrive at MCO the plan is to collect the car and head to the hotel. We are staying at the Sheraton Suites close to the airport the first night so plan on dumping the bags grab a bit of dinner then head to bed.

Day 3 - Moving day#1, today we are going from the Sheraton suites to Sheraton Vistana Villages on I-Drive. My mum and dad have got an RCI timeshare and this is their home resort and this will be our base camp for the first week. We are going to have a fairly lazy day, a bit of shopping at the outlets (they are practically on our door step) and food shopping and a dip in the pool while we wait for our apartment to be ready. After we have settled in we will probably either get a kerbside take out or go somewhere for dinner. Then have an early night.

Day 4 - Animal Kingdom. Our first park day and Zacs first look at the magic that is disney. The aim is to do as much as we can (in a leisurely fashion). We have got an ADR at the Rainforest Café for lunch. We will then play the afternoon by ear depending how Zac is.

Day 5 - Epcot. Looking forward to exploring the different countries and the pavilions and to doing KidCot with Zac. Quite excited about the Nemo parts of Epcot as Zac is getting into Nemo now. Also looking forward to riding the new test track. We have got 2 ADRs booked today. the first is lunch a teppan edo (part of my try something new) and then the other is at The Garden Grill for dinner - Zacs first character meal. This is all a big question mark a the moment. Zac can get a bit nervous when waiting staff talk to him in restaurants so not sure how he will be at a character meal. Will see how he reacts to the characters at AK and then decide whether or not to cancel. After dinner we will head back to the apartment.

Day 6 - Discovery Cove. We have all (apart from Zac) got dolphin swims booked and we have also booked a Cabana. My dad is going to be having a buoy delivered by a dolphin which I’m looking forward to seeing. I am also hoping we will be able to have a couple of photos with zac and the dolphins at the end of the swim.

Day 7 - Magic Kingdom. This is the park I am most looking forward to taking Zac to. We are visiting MK a couple of times so we don’t need to try and ram everything in. Today is Zacs haircut day so will try and hit the barber shop as early as possible so we have some nice pictures with his new haircut. We have got an ADR at Tonys Restaurant for lunch.

Day 8 - Hollywood studios/blizzard beach. This is our lazy park day as there isn’t a huge amount for us/zac to do here. We will definitely be going to see Disney Junior live on stage. We also have an ADR at Hollywood and Vine for breakfast. Looking forward to doing tower of terror but from what I have read we need to make a bee line for toy story mania for fast passes. We will then head off to blizzard beach for a relax in the afternoon and let Zac lose in the water (he loves the water).

Day 9 - DTD. Today is a bit of a mismatch day. Michael and co fly in today and my mum needs to meet them at their hotel to check them in (they are staying at Holiday Inn Orange Lake, another timeshare apartment). I have booked for my mum and dad to have afternoon tea at the Grand Floridian this afternoon as a thank you for taking us on this holiday. In the morning I want to have a look around the cars section at art of animation as Zac loves cars.

Day 10 - Moving day #2. Today we are changing over to the same place as my brother. My mum couldn’t get a second week for us and an apartment for my brother at Vistana Villages. So today will be a fairly lazy day with a bit of shopping/grocery shopping and possibly crazy golf. Tonight we are getting dinner at Smokey Bones.

Day 11 - Universal Studios/Islands Of Adventure. Today will be a bit manic trying to squeeze in 2 parks in one day. I know US opens early today so we will hit that park and do the few bits in there and then head over to IOA to spend the rest of the day. My mum loves harry potter so is looking forward to WWOHP.

Day 12 - Seaworld. Looking forward to Zac seeing the whales and dolphins. We often go to a local aquarium and he is quite mesmerised there so hoping he’ll like seaworld

Day 13 - My Dads 60th Birthday. Today we are off to Daytona Beach for a picnic and a lazy morning. We have then got tickets to MNSSHP tonight. We have got an ADR at Liberty Tree Tavern for dinner and I am hoping to book a birthday cake for my dad.

Day 14 - Magic Kingdom. Today is the day my mum has waited for taking all 3 grandchildren to see the Big Cheese. Hoping for a nice day of fun. Cannot wait for bennie to meet jack sparrow :)

Day 15 - Hollywood Studios/Epcot. A revisit for us but a first visit for my brother and co. Jack has been on tower of terror in Paris and loved it. So the plan is TOT for Jack and Disney Live and Captain Jack for Ben then head over to Epcot to do Test track and possibly soaring. Lee, Zac and I have got an ADR at chefs de France for a little family lunch on our own, I'm hoping to see reme. Tonight is a trip to celebration for a bit of trick or treating and an insight into the proper way to do Halloween :).

Day 16 - Travel day. We are going to be doing bag drop and a bit of shopping and hire a pontoon boat at DTD. We have an ADR for lunch at Raglan Road. My brother has to check out today but because of how the timeshare works we don’t have to check out until tomorrow so we will make use of the pool/apartment in the afternoon then head off to the airport

Sorry I have rambled on a bit but I hope you have enjoyed reading. I am hoping to try and do a full trip report when we get back but it all depends on how good my notes are.
    Thank you for taking the time to read :)

3. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Peace, Love and Mickey Mouse

Wow, that sounds like a fun-packed trip. :) You've obviously put all of that planning to good use. :)

4. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Sue it all sounds perfect, you are going to have a wonderful time. Thank you for sharing your plans with us, I'm really looking forward to reading more and seeing pictures of your trip :D

5. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Sounds like you've done a good bit of planning and have an adventure filled trip coming.

6. Suebeattie

Ah thank you for your kind words. Just need to have a rough idea of what we're doing in the parks and then I'm pretty much done.
    Just got to wait for the all important tickets to arrive :)

7. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

SUE!! WOW!! You deserve some manner of planning award!!! Well done!

The cast of "characters" looks fun and interesting and you seem to have a delightful mix on your hands! I can't wait for photos of Zac's first haircut!!!

Suebeattie likes this.
  8. Suebeattie

Thanks beccaberry :). I'm sure it will be interesting luckily we're not all in the same apartment lol.
    I will make sure to post some pics of before and after :)

9. Beccaberry

Yes, I think even under the BEST of circumstances, with a group that large you'll be glad for your own space. Plan on!

10. Suebeattie

The problem being all this time spent planning will probably be thrown straight out the window on day 1 especially with Zac lol :D

11. Beccaberry

You know? That's absolutely likely to happen...but expecting it will make it that much easier to go with the flow! Good on you!

12. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

You certainly do have a wonderful base plan! I like the day planning with the flexibility to do what you wish within each day. Those who plan down to the hour, every hour miss out on the ability to be spontaneous, or to just play in the water fountain...
    You are going to have a fabulous time!

13. Suebeattie

I was trying to plan a bit too much but you just don't know what circumstances will pop up in the way. For instance we have no idea when Zac is going to want a snack or a nap or a run around.
    So I have decided to make a list of the rides to try to do and roughly when, make some tips notes and just go with the flow.
    I think also I will try and do if the wait time is X minutes we're not going to bother. I don't fancy trying to entertain a toddler in a queue for hours and I'm sure people in our vicinity probably would appreciate a tantrum or ten (and that's from lee) lol
    My philosophy is - we WILL be going back so can do things we miss then
    :)

Beccaberry likes this.
  14. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Yep! All good decisions. You will make good use of fast pass where possible, I know. :yes: Having something for "play" when standing on line is a good idea too. Something that is used only for then... games on a phone work well, if that is a possibility.