1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

The Future of the Osborne Lights?

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World News & Rumors' started by Beccaberry, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

On New Year's Eve, we were visiting with friends and, as it typically does, conversation turned to Disney. During the conversation, a friend lamented the "end" of the much loved Osborne lights. I nearly fainted. This isn't true is it? Perhaps they are just moving them? I've done a *little* research but haven't found anything conclusive...merely rumours. Does anyone here have any news, thoughts or ideas?

2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

You know, I heard the same thing last month. It seems like a pretty constant rumour but nothing official :/

My personal take on it. It's not been the same since they changed it from being the walk around the houses to the way it is now. I like the lights synced to the music but that gets old quickly and after you've seen that, there's not much left. I used to really love walking around seeing all the houses and yards lit up but now I can honestly spend just five minutes there to say I've done it.

I can't see them going back to the old scheme. They don't tend to revert and the space has been used. Also struggling to see where they'd move it to. In terms of giving it up, it's an iconic attraction, one they advertise all over the place and very heavily attended. The other thing it has going for it is it's all done on existing buildings so it's not like it REALLY takes up any actual space of its own.

Tough one really :/ I'm fed up of it and would like it re-imagined but how/where I don't know! I did think that the flow of people was much better when it was spread over the larger house/yard area though

3. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

This is not a rumor I've heard.

I never saw it in the old location. I think that would have been really cool. As I've only seen it in the current location, I can say that I have not gotten bored with it.

4. keith

oh Johnie, the old location.... I'm feeling a bit teary just thinking back to it. You'd walk around, plenty of space, every house had its own yard with its own special lights. It was like walking round a neighbourhood.

5. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

The rumour has been going round for a while now.

It started when the rumour that Cars Land was going to be built at Hollywood Studios. The talk is that the Land will be where Cars Motor Action is based and also include the area that is used for Osborne Lights.

I think they would have to move them somewhere new though, possibly even to a new Park. Epcot is an area I could see them considering.

6. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Wasn't that great! :yes:

We used to love going through there. I always marveled at the tricycle left in one front yard that had strings of lights all over it. Even the water faucet for the garden hose on one house had lights!

I miss that. :sigh:

Tom ( :macwave:... ahh... nostalgia, thy name is me!)

7. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I so dislike the current set up we've not been over in years to see it. :( I too, really liked the old set up. It was much more Christmas like and realistic. I'll be sorry to see it go, in theory, but won't miss the current mess they've made of the display. :(

8. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

I much prefer the old setup, but we thoroughly enjoyed it this year with the lights synched to the music. There were huge crowds though so it was difficult to move around. We talked to two different CMs, both of whom mentioned that they may not be there next year and that they are trying to decide what to do with them. Apparently it has something to do with the new land, be it Star Wars or Cars Land or whatever they decide to do with it.

9. Johnie

Hmmm after all the talk about how wonderful it was the old way I'm not sure to be happy or sad that I never got to see it.

I guess I should be happy as I love the lights now.

10. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

I do prefer the old way it was, my advice for the lights is not to go on a weekend evening- i thought we were being clever being there at the time they started- boy was i wrong. We got trapped in a large crowd and at one point i got really worried we were going to get crushed. This was the beginning of December

11. keith

I just find that the whole thing is much more static than the old way. We basically get trapped in one of the streets and then all you can do is look up at the buildings, all of which are just plastered with as many lights as they can fit.

12. Johnie

We lucked out this last time. We had dinner at 50's Prime Time at 8:30. The park closed at 10. We got out of the restaurant at 9:45 and decided to go see the lights for a few minutes. It was practically empty and no one rushed us out. We were there for an hour. We even got to meet Santa Goofy.

13. keith

Im still too chicken to try 50s prime time :lol:

Tink likes this.
  14. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

You really need to. :yes:

For a really good meal and even more fun, it's absolutely our favorite restaurant in ANY park and a major MUST DO for us on any WDW trip.

Tom ( :macwave:... your cousins will thank you.)

15. Beccaberry

*sigh* Oh how I long for the "old way"...

Johnie, you would have loved it. It was like walking through your own hometown, only, if you grew up in the hometown I grew up in, better. :) They handed out holographic glasses, sold hot chocolate, and you just wandered the "neighborhood". It was by far one of my favorite experiences.

Here are a few photos (Apologies, my photography skills were sorely lacking "back in the day" but didn't someone mention the tricycle earlier?): 2osborne12-01.jpg
    4osborne12-01.jpg
    osborne2house12-01.jpg osborneangel12-01.jpg
    osbornecarollers12-01.jpg

osbornehouse12-01.jpg
    osbornemower12-01.jpg
    osbornetireswing12-01.jpg
    Over the years, I adjusted to the new location, and even came to love it as well, but nothing will ever take the place of this experience. Of course, it didn't hurt that, at the time, it wasn't quite as wildly popular, and you could truly just wander through.

I agree with others, I don't see Osborne "going away for good" as it's such a popular attraction, and recently Disney has invested a considerable amount of money in upgrading/updating the lights to LED bulbs and even adding to the collection. I do see it moving somewhere else, maybe even to another park. If it does, I can't say I'll be as heartbroken as I was when it moved to its current location.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
    Watchinherskip likes this.
  16. keith

wow that takes me back.... angel glasses and wandering around

honestly at the moment I wouldn't miss it :( horrible to say, but I'd LOVE them to move it somewhere else and re-imagine it

17. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Thanks for posting those pictures Becca. It certainly takes me back. There was SOOOO much more room to walk around back then and even with heavier crowds it didn't seem that bad like it does now with everything concentrated.

Johnie, the park closed at 8:00 when we were there so we cancelled our ADR at 50's Prime Time and ate at the bar at the Tune In Lounge. We then wandered over and waited for everything to start. Like I said I loved the synchronization to the music but it just wasn't the same as in days of yore.

Keith, you really do need to try 50's Prime Time. They won't pick on you if you don't want.

18. Beccaberry

You know, I remember quite distinctly returning to the villa the night I took these photos and thinking how rubbish they were. I almost deleted them, believing I'd never share them with anyone because they weren't up to par. Rubbish as they are (and yeah, they are) they are now quite dear to me.

19. keith

it's how to communicate that to them ;-)

20. keith

you're going to have to stop saying that because you're making me feel mega bad about mine!!!! Those are great! top ones shaky but other than that the others look fab.

PS. I'd also like you to work on NOT being so good with your iphone photos on facebook since that also makes me feel inferior :( thank you :p