1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

The Future of the Osborne Lights?

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World News & Rumors' started by Beccaberry, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

Okay so am I the only one that is thinking of the Griswold's house in NP Christmas? I do remember walking through the Osbornes lights on the backlot tour. It was really cool. I kind of even miss the back lot tour. I do still like the current format though and would hate to see it go for good. There was kind of a park there too where the angels were. One of the houses was supposedly the house for Golden Girls tv show..(or am I imagining that?)

2. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

HAHAHA! Yeah, I'll get right to work on that...I can see where that photo with me sticking my tongue out was totally MoMA worthy. ;)

3. Beccaberry

Yes, one of them was indeed the facade of the "Golden Girls" tv show (and "Empty Nest" as well, if I remember correctly?)

Here's a funny "perspective" story...I actually hadn't seen NL Christmas Vacation until a few years ago...upon seeing it for the first time, I exclaimed, "OMG! It's like the Osborne Lights!"

4. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Empty Nest was the spinoff of Golden Girls so that would make sense

5. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Prime Time Café? Nope, nope, nope! :eek:

Spoke with someone who does Disney podcasts and he says it's a pretty strong rumor, as yet unvalidated, but most who "know" believe this was the last year.

Becca, I love your photos. I remember how cool those displays were and how we laughed at the decorated lawn mower and bicycle, but then thought about doing it to our own! :D We never did, though.

Disney just went overboard and added so many lights that the beauty of it was taken away. Volume does not always equate with quality.

Watchinherskip likes this.
  6. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

Don't be so modest Becca, those are great photos, and a real treat for the likes of me who has never seen the Osborne lights, old or new.

Thanks for posting them.

7. Beccaberry

On my way to work this morning, I listened to a particularly interesting Jim Hill podcast (Episode 53 - 12/23/13) discussing the future of the lights...quite the interesting take!

8. Watchinherskip

Oh, Becca what was the crux?

9. Beccaberry

Short story -

The licensing for the Osborne Lights is coming up for renewal, and unlike in years past (when all Jennings requested was a free trip for him and his family each year at Christmas), the surviving family members (Jennings passed away in 2011) want to renew the deal, but they want a licensing fee.

Queue the new ABC show, The Great Christmas Light Fight.

Hill believes that Disney will decline licensing anew with the Osborne family and instead use this new show as a springboard to partner with Sylvania and bring in the "next" Jennings Osborne.

Interesting theory.

Watchinherskip likes this.
  10. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I've seen this time and time again with Disney, last up was the hoop dee doo music which, they could've licensed, but instead decided to say no and write new songs to avoid paying. So I think Hill is probably correct.

To be honest, although the Osborne story is an interesting back story, for most casual Disney goers, it's now just a light show and a very different one from the original anyway so I think they could ditch the Osborne connection pretty easily.

Beccaberry likes this.
  11. Watchinherskip

Thanks Becca. That sort of makes sense in a sick perverted corporate way..hehe

Beccaberry likes this.
  12. Beccaberry

Yes, as much as I love the Osborne story and think it adds to the experience for the avid Disney fan, I think most people just enjoy the light display. And let's face it, we all know that after 20 years there isn't much left of the "original" lights anyway. I love the way it began, I'm ok seeing it evolve...as long as they find a way to keep it, and keep it well-done.

Wendy likes this.