1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

The Long Drive

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by BUTTERHEAD1, Aug 18, 2009.

1. BUTTERHEAD1

BUTTERHEAD1 Addicted to Mickey

We are going to WDW from Aug 28 to Sept 6th. My wife is taking my kids a few days in advance to visit family in Sarasota. Fortunately:wink: I couldnt get out of work to visit the InLaws:laughhard:. So that means that I will be driving from NYC to WDW by myself. I have done this once before and kind of enjoyed the peace and quiet. I plan on leaving NY at 4am and driving as long as I can. Last year I made it all the way to Orlando. Wish me luck on my 1,100 mile journey.

2. simonwebb74

simonwebb74 Earning my ears

Wow, that's an epic journey!!! Good luck hope the weather and traffic are good

3. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

Shame you can't leave with your wife and kids though...Sarasota is a lovely place to visit. Maybe it depends on the company :unsure: :lol:

Good luck with the long drive....plenty of good music on the journey and the thought of WDW, the time will fly by :yes:

4. SleepinCatz

SleepinCatz Fluffeh Disney Fan

Safe Journey my friend :) And one heck of a Magical vacation :)

5. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

Wow, that is one long drive! Break out the audiobooks and rockin' good music! Roll down the windows and jam your way to Disney.

6. premier travel

premier travel Forum Advertiser

I thought driving from Key West to Orlando and Scotland to Kent was far enough but from New York! Would it not be cheaper on a plane! Have a good journey.

7. Disneybumble

Disneybumble The Secret is in the Sauce.

Good luck and a safe journey

8. BUTTERHEAD1

Premier Travel
    It would be cheaper and a lot more convenient for me to fly but my wife doesnt fly and I dont like to fly either. To fill my tank 3-4 times is 150-200 dollars and then add the price of a hotel room is another 75-100 dollars.So the cost of one way is 225 to 300 dollars.The same price coming home but that would be for 4 people.

9. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

The cost for traveling by car for the family does make it more affordable than flying. :yes:

So, if your wife doesn't fly, you will have two cars at WDW? :unsure:

If you are in the vicinity of Darien, Georgia when it is time for lunch or dinner, exit 95 at Darien and head for the water (if you are headed south it will be a left off the ramp) and Skipper's Fish Camp. It's a sweet little restaurant on the intercoastal with food that is beyond delicious. True southern cooking (and no, it's not all laden with butter, and deep fried LOL) that is absolutely scrumptious. :yes: It's about four hours from WDW.

Safe journey to you. Keep a sharp eye on 95. There have been many problems along the southern end lately. :sigh:

10. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

i would certainly drive it if i could, i love road trips in the US. I drove back from Altus, OK to Charleston, SC with the 2 kids on my own- it was a real adventure, have fun Butterhead:thumbsup:

11. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

Wishing you a safe journey, Butterhead!

Will the return journey be just you--and quiet--or noisy with other family members? :unsure:

I dislike driving across town--1100 miles isn't even on my radar! :lol:

12. BUTTERHEAD1

The ride back will be with the family. The wife and kids are leaving tomorrow morning. They are even nuttier than me they are taking Amtrak down to Tampa(25 hours) where they will be picked up by my wifes family. I have to work a couple of more days and then when I feel ready I will jump in the car and drive to them People at work think I am crazy for taking this journey on but I have done it before and actually find it relaxing.

13. Mandy

Mandy Earning my ears

Rather you than me! Good luck to you. :)

14. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

At one time I used to love those long drives. But at my age I no longer enjoy it. Be careful and be sure to stop and rest when you get tired. Have a great trip.

15. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Ah, Amtrak. I wondered how your family was getting there. That's a long train ride! :eek: I hope they have a sleeper car!

I think I might enjoy a long drive myself, once in awhile. But then, I travel alone much for work, so I'm kind of used to it now. I take long drives alone here in Florida, but those top out at about 6-8 hours depending upon where I'm going in the state. Nothing like NY to FL alone!

Take care now and if you get hungry right around Darien Georgia, pull off 95 and head for Skipper's Fish Camp. You won't be sorry you did! :9: :D

16. Shellyamc

Shellyamc Serious Forum Regular

We will be doing this next year and I'm excited/nervous about it :yes: I'm excited because of all the extra stuff we can bring and that we can stop and see things, but I'm also going to miss being at Disney in 2 hours:unsure:

Have a safe trip!! We'll be thinking about you :D