1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

The Maldives - part 2

Discussion in 'Non Disney Trips and Travels' started by Deb, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Deb

Deb Serious Forum Regular

Ok, here’s the educational bit for those of you who don’t know very much about the Maldives...please feel free to skip the next paragraph!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

1190 islands are spread over 26 atolls, ringlike coral formations enclosing a lagoon, which gives the Maldives its unique appearance. They stretch for about 820 km from North to South, 130 km at the widest point and do not exceed a length of 4.5 miles or an altitude of 6 feet above sea level. 99% of it is covered by the sea. No more than 200 islands are inhabited, the rest includes the 90 or so tourist resorts and uninhabited islands, some of which are used for drying fish or other agricultural activities. The capital Malé, the seat of government and the centre of trade, commerce, business, health and education, is located in the middle of the atoll chain, and this small island is home to about 75.000 people which is about one third of the population. Male is home to the main airport, where we flew into. One of the reasons we wanted to go the the Maldives was the fascination of somewhere that was always at sea level, and also the fact that the bulk of it may very well not be there in a few years time due to rising sea levels, and we wanted to see it before it went. You may have seen their underwater cabinet meeting on the news a couple of weeks back, drawing attention to the fact that if that happens these people will have nowhere to live. The government is trying to save money to buy some land to move the people to if necessary.<o:p></o:p>

Anyway, Komandoo itself is only about 100 metres wide by 500 metres long. It is surrounded by a lagoon and a reef. On the photos you may see some walls in the sea; they have been built around many of the islands and they are there to act as a seabreak, helping to stop the tide from wearing away the shore and the coral, and so prolonging the life of the island until a better solution is found. You can walk around Komondoo about 20 minutes if you are strolling. We sometimes did this on the morning to watch the sunrise, before anyone else was around
    [​IMG]
    <o:p></o:p>

[​IMG]

There are only 65 rooms on the island, and quite a few of them are water villas where the people stay on there most of the day, so the place feels very quiet, never busy. Most of the time the beach looked like this...

[​IMG]

<o:p>[​IMG]</o:p>
    <o:p>
    [​IMG]
    </o:p><o:p></o:p>

...and you had the sea to yourself. <o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]<o:p></o:p>
    And the view from the bar was very relaxing....watching the fishermen bring in their catch or the divers going out for the afternoon was almost exhausting! :D

Oooh, I just popped in again to edit this, as I have spotted something in the picture above...you see the funny dark patch in the sea to the left of the picture, below the sea wall? Well that is a shoal of thousands of little fish, just a few inches long. You see the circular gaps in that shoal? Those gaps are the black tipped reef sharks herding them up and eating their fill! More on the sharks later :D
    I don’t know if it is possible to get bored of blue sky, turquoise sea and white sand but if you do please say stop! Guess I'll have to post some more!

2. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

Wow, totally stunning. Made me yearn to be there

(and take my telescope)

3. arkvilla

arkvilla Addicted to Mickey

Beautiful photo's Deb.

You look great - but how could you not in such a beautful setting

Sandra

4. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Beautiful landscapes and a lovely woman! What more could you possibly want! The beaches look so peaceful and the shot of floating in the sea will be a good focal point for imagery during those stressful times. :yes:

Absolutely gorgeous, on all counts! :yes: I really enjoyed the information on the islands. I can't imagine such a lovely place no longer being there. :(

I am so pleased you were able to go and able to share with us. It may be my only visit to the Maldives. :sigh:

5. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

sighs..... now THAT is heaven to me....... and you look fabulous.

6. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

Can that sea be any more beautiful? Wow! Postcard perfect

7. Disneybumble

Disneybumble The Secret is in the Sauce.

Those pictures are just perfect.

8. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

looks heavenly Deb, how long did you go for? it's a long way to only go for 7 days but i'm wondering if we'd get bored for 14 days :unsure: not being rude- just curious.:thumbsup:

9. Deb

Deb Serious Forum Regular

Thanks for your comments, and thank you so much to Sandra, Tink and Helly for saying such nice things about me! :hug2:

We went for 14 days Julie, there were many who went for 7 but we couldn't imagine going such a long way for only 7 days. This was something I was going to mention later....we did our research on the type of place we wanted, and we ddn't want somewhere where there were many activities or tons of other people, because we wanted our privacy and to spend time together, and we really did need to relax. The only activities to take part in were snorkeling, scuba diving (lots of people went for that), the excellent fishing and the wonderful spa. There was hardly any entertainment on a night - crab racing once a week :lol: and once every week or two there was a traditional Maldivian band playing on the sand in front of the bar. If we got tired of relaxing we went snorkelling as I never get bored of watching the fishies. Kids under 12 aren't allowed here, mainly becasue they would probably get bored. So for us it was heaven, but I can imagine how some might need something else to do after a couple of days!

The hotel's sister resort, Kuredu (google it) is only a few minutes boat ride and has a lot more going on while still having the Maldivian vibe, and is suited to lkds and teens as far as I can tell. One point that struck me is that this is a great place to get your kids (or indeed nervous adults) into swimming and snorkelling - the lagoons are still and safe, and it is like swimming in Discovery Cove!

10. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

Maybe a two centre holiday would be best, I wouldn't be taking the kids there anyway lol