1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

The Slowhand`s cruise around Europe ~ Part 12 [Day at Sea/Oresund Bridge]

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Slowhand, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Wednesday July 28th
    I granted myself a lie in this morning, at least until 7.30 am!

Following breakfast at Topsider`s, my DW went to a “Scrapbooking Party” at 9.30 am which was held in Animator`s Palate so I decided to sort out some more mundane issues to save leaving things until the last minute.
    As no-one was in line, I first went to the Currency Exchange Desk on deck 3 where I handed over my “funny money” from the countries we had visited in exchange for dollars.
    My next task was to visit Guest Services in order to charge the tips for the Stateroom Host and the Dining Staff to our room and they issued me with vouchers that I will put into the relevant envelopes to hand out on the last night of the cruise.

That done, it was then up to Cove Café for a capucchino and a chat with Pio where I was reunited with my DW after she had finished her scrapbooking session. She had several “freebies” with her that she had been given by the CM`s at Animator`s Palate, and she had been inspired to sort out a scrapbook to contain the numerous photos that had been taken by the ship`s photographers during the cruise.
    A visit to the on-board shops then followed to purchase a scrapbook which DCL had in stock especially for the N. European Capitals Cruises which will form an ideal home for the photos. :thumbsup:

As it was a warm and sunny morning, we headed up to the Quiet Cove Pool on deck 9, meeting up with Doug & Michelle who had the same idea. After a while Rainer [one of the lead singers from the Walt Disney Theatre], and her husband [Jason] joined us and we chatted at length about her work with Disney which was very informative.

After Rainer and her DH left, all four of us went to Topsider`s for lunch which to-day was a rare occurrence as they had a BBQ set up cooking steak, chicken, tuna etc.etc. to order.
    Nearby was a baked potato stall where one of the CM`s “loaded” the potato to suit each person`s preference and a salad bar and desert counter were also available.
    This was the first time that I`ve seen a BBQ on board the ship and it was definately one of the best on-board lunches ever. :yes:

Later in the afternoon rain was threatening so my DW and I returned to our stateroom to start packing our cases to lighten the load for the following day.
    Dinner tonight was a “Semi Formal” affair and this evenings` venue was to be Animator`s Palate.
    Shortly after donning my jacket and tie I went onto the veranda and saw that the Oresund Bridge was in the distance…this is the bridge that we went under a few nights ago at around midnight…so I went up to deck 10 as we drew nearer.

Despite the fact that it was raining lightly and accompanied by a strong wind, I arrived to find that loads of folk were already on the deck to view the bridge.
    The Oresund Bridge was completed in 2000 at a cost of DKK12 billion and is 16.4 km [10 miles] long, making it the largest road/rail bridge in Europe and connects Denmark and Sweden over the Oresund Channel.

Due to the inclement weather, the top of the bridge`s support columns were occasionally shrouded in mist and as we approached the bridge we all felt a “will we, won`t we?” moment as there was barely 6 ft of clearance above the ship`s funnels and the underside of the bridge!
    It truly was an awesome sight and well worth the discomfort of getting damp and blown about!

We had a few photos taken in the atrium with our friends before dinner which tonight was in Animator`s Palate.
    Oppie our server told us that our assistant server [Isaac] was in quarantine for 48 hours because his room mate had become sick and under these circumstances DCL apply this rule.
    Although we were naturally glad that DCL play things safe, nevertheless it was a shame that we would not be able to say our goodbyes to Isaac who had taken very good care of us throughout the cruise. :sorry: We therefore had a “stand in” assistant server who was naturally a bit nervous in taking over from Isaac.
    After dinner we stayed in Sessions until 1.00 pm, arranging to meet up with Tim for lunch tomorrow.

Woopee! We gain another hour in bad as the clocks go back for another hour tonight. :banana:

Tomorrow [sadly] will be our last full day on board the “Magic”. :sigh:

2. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

I think it's so odd to see people on a cruise wearing sweaters....but to be honest, that's the type I want to go on. :D

3. Slowhand

Yes, I know what you mean.
    It did seem strange seeing the "die hard" folks wrapped up in blankets around the pool areas on board.
    The odd thing is that in most ports of call it was extremely hot and sunny. It was only when we were at sea that it became much noticably colder.

4. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Another great one, Terry! :thumbsup:

But of course, I've got to ask. Were there any hearty souls on board who actually went swimming while you were at sea?

Tom :)macwave:... like tourists on the Gulf Beaches on New Years Day!)

5. Slowhand

Oddly enough there were Tom.
    Obviously not as many as usual though and even Doug & Michelle opted for the hot tubs around Quiet Cove Pool.

6. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Quite an amazing bridge! Must have taken much into consideration when constructing it, eh? What is the average height of cruise ships? How often do they come this way? That sort of thing. :yes:

Sounds like quite a pleasant day at sea. (Those are usually my favorite)!

It's funny. I'm just reading your recounting of your cruise, but I'm a little sad that it's coming to an end! :( (Could you maybe make it go on for a few more days)? ;)

7. Slowhand

I wish Tink, I wish. :sorry:

8. Tinker

Tinker Earning my ears

Another Great Report, Terry !