1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

The Slowhand`s Trip - Part 12

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Slowhand, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Day 16 ~ Saturday October 4th

I was awake really early today as we entered the inlet to Port Canaveral. It was still dark outside and I saw the lights of the industrial buildings we were passing through our glazed doors so I realised that docking would be soon.
    After the “Magic” had inched her way to the dock, the quayside was instantly a hive of activity, and as our stateroom was on the starboard side of the ship, I could watch it all from our veranda.
    Some fork trucks were removing the luggage which was in metal cages and taking them to the terminal building, others were taking loads of trash from the ship, and directly below our room they were loading the ship with provisions for the next cruise departing later today. At the same time large trucks were coming and going, giving up their load of all sorts of food and drink. The whole operation was very slick and well organised although somehow a crate of red wine got damaged directly below our stateroom causing a large red pool to form on the dockside. After a while we could get a real whiff of the aroma….hmmm “Shiraz `96 from the Southern Region of Valencia” was my assessment of the vintage! :lol:

All guests had been advised that they had to take breakfast in the same restaurant where they had dined last night, and this worked out fine by us as this meant another visit to Lumiere`s which is located close to the ship`s exit. :thumbs_up: The breakfast times had been staggered into three sittings according to the time of the dinner seatings, and as three restaurants were in use for breakfast this effectively allowed for a staggered debarkation which was an excellent plan. On this basis our assigned time for breakfast was 8.15am and as our servers were those who had served us dinner each night of the cruise, this gave us an opportunity to say our final goodbyes to them.
    Sadly it was also time for my DW and I to say our goodbyes to the great dining partners whose company we had thoroughly enjoyed throughout the cruise. :cry1: [Having said that, in reality it was more like “au revoir” than “goodbye”, as Mr & Mrs M [Muushka] and Tom and Carol [catrancher] have both since become members of Secrets, which is fantastic.] :smiley4:

We said a final goodbye to the CM`s standing by the ship`s exit and before long we were off the ship and into the arrivals hall of the terminal building.
    As we were the last batch to leave the ship, finding our luggage was really easy as our cases were sitting there in their allotted section totally alone. We grabbed a porter who assisted in taking our bags through Customs and Immigration and then on to the parking lot, helping to load them into our car.
    Passing through Customs and Immigration was a breeze, we even shared a laugh and a joke with the lady Immigration officer who very kindly allowed us to re-enter the States. :lol: The porter came in very handy too seeing as my carry on bag was filled with the bottles of water left over from the package we had bought on our first day of the cruise, along with all of my other knick knacks. It was so heavy that I`m sure that I could have scratched my ankles without bending down through carrying it off the ship! :lol:

Reunited with our car we said yet another couple of fond farewells to both Mr & Mrs M, and Tom and Carol who were just behind us in loading up their respective vehicles, before we set off on the 528 en-route to our villa in Davenport. :wave:
    We arrived at our villa at around 10.30am and my DW immediately sprang into action, loading the washing machine and making sure that everywhere was spick and span in readiness for her friend [Donna] who was travelling up from Miami to spend the night with us, and I nipped out to Publix for a few essentials and to grab a couple of sandwiches for lunch.
    We spent a while lounging around the pool and then the phone rang.
    It was Ricardo just checking that we had arrived safely and asking if we had enjoyed the cruise. When he asked about our plans for this evening, I told him about our dilemma regarding our ADR for Narcoosee`s [at the GF] this evening, mentioning that I couldn`t get it changed from a part of two to a party of three now that Donna would be joining us.
    Ricky said not to worry as he would sort things out for us which came as a bit of relief.
    Donna arrived at around 4.00pm and while my DW and she nattered away by the pool I went inside for a nap, so they could carry on their “girly” talk in peace!

We arrived at Narcoosee`s in good time for our dinner and only had to wait for 10 minutes or so until we were led in to our table.
    Ricky had obviously spoken to his “contacts” because not only were we assigned a window table from where we could see Cinderella`s Castle at the MK, but when the menus arrived, they had our names printed on them along with a “welcome” message!
    Now our last experience at Narcoosee`s did leave a lot to be desired :( but we thought that we would give it another try when we made the original ADR. I`m glad now that we did, as the meal and the service from Allen, our server, were first rate and we shall definitely dine there again in the future. [I doubt whether Ricardo`s influence had anything to do with this.]
    At one stage the manager [Frank] came over to our table to ask if everything was ok, and later we were presented with a complimentary cheese selection. [I`m sure that Ricardo`s influence had everything to do with this! :lol:]

Suitably fed and watered we left the restaurant just in time to catch the Electric Water Pageant and as we saw a few folks lingering by the boat dock, it was obvious that we were also going to be able to take in the fireworks at the MK.
    We went to a good viewing spot by the boating marina, directly below where our room was when we stayed there before the cruise in order to lessen the risk of being eaten alive by any mosquitoes which normally congregate by the boat dock.

A truly perfect end to quite a long day.

2. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

Thanks for taking the time to write another report terry....I am loving your holiday so far!
    We've never seent he EWP before. Is it worth making the effort to see it?

3. Slowhand

Thanks Diane.:hug2: Actually I`m enjoying writing the reports as they bring back some very happy memories as I look out of the window here and reflect on that lovely weather over there compared with the UK right now!

As for EWP, well I certainly wouldn`t make a special journey just to see it. It only lasts for a few minutes but if you happen to be at the Poly, the GF, the Contemp. or WL at the same time then yes, it`s worth a peek.

4. Debbie2

Debbie2 Speedy!

Wow, Terry, you really are treated like a VIP at WDW aren't you :)

What a long day. It must be lovely to have your own 'home' to chill out at instead of a hotel room.

Really enjoying your reports - especially on a wet and miserable day. Thanks for taking the time to do them :)

5. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Sure helps to have friends in "high" places right Terry? Another great report, but what did you eat at Narcoossee's?

6. Slowhand

Ok I started off with the Romaine Salad [my DW had Narcoossee`s Seafood Bisque], followed by Crab-crusted Yellow Tail Snapper [DW opted for the Togarashi Spiced Ahi Tuna].
    After the complimentary cheese selection, I was the only one to order dessert [plain old strawberries and ice cream], although occasionally a few strawberries were stolen by others when I wasn`t looking! :lol:

Hope this isn`t making your mouth water too much John! :lol:

7. uscwest

OMG,

HEY EVERYONE TERRY ACTUALLY ATE FISH. :p

8. Slowhand

It has been known before John. :p015:

Although I am probably the World`s #1 carnivore, I do enjoy fish occasionally, especially trying the varieties that we can`t get over here on a regular basis.

9. uscwest

Since Donna DOESN'T eat it, I enjoy having it at various places at WDW.