1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

The Slowhand`s Trip - Part 14

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Slowhand, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Day 19 ~ Tuesday October 7th

I`d been making enough excuses and plans, but inevitably one day had to be deemed a “shopping day” so this was going to be it! [In case you were wondering, I don`t “do” shopping, only under duress! :(].
    Shortly after breakfast, my DW and I drove up to the Florida Mall, arriving there shortly after 10.00am and the first thing I noticed was how quiet it seemed to be when compared with our other visits. [Maybe shopping ain`t that bad after all! :thumbs_up:].

Why is it that I get dragged around all [and I mean all] of the jewellery, clothes, handbags, and make up outlets without making a fuss, and yet whenever I pause by a shop that takes my interest [e.g. one selling rock and sports memorabilia], I receive the “foot tapping” and “looking at watch/yawning” treatment? :rolleyes008:
    Several full carrier bags and a depleted wallet later, we had lunch in the food court at the mall where I ordered my favourite hot sandwich, a Philly CheeseSteak from Charley`s, and my DW grabbed a grilled chicken sandwich from one of the other outlets.
    Naturally on the way back, we had to call into a convenient Walmarts and a Staples store to stock up with a few other “must have” items, finally arriving back at the villa at around 4.30pm, and my DW said “We can finish off the shopping at DTD and Prime Outlets before we fly back home!” :shocked025:

Dinner tonight was in Celebration at the Columbian restaurant. We have dined there on several occasions, the last time being earlier this year when my DW ended up with having a shower of gaspaccio [sp?] soup tipped over her c/o a careless waiter! :mad:
    Nevertheless we both really enjoy dining at this place and they say that lightning never strikes twice in the same place don`t they?
    The omens weren`t good as we actually were seated in the same place as on our last visit, but this time we came out unscathed having had an excellent dinner served by a very attentive waiter named Carlos.

After dinner we had a short walk around the downtown area and noticed what an affluent clientele were there tonight. In one block alone around Market Street I saw two Ferraris, a Rolls Royce, a Porsche 911 and a Lotus Elise, not to mention loads of BMW`s and Audi`s, making my Dodge Charger seem like an old banger!
    I thought it best to leave before word got around that the poor folks were in town so we headed back “home” where I watched the remainder of my EC dvd before calling it a day.

Day 20 ~ Wednesday October 8th

We woke [or should I say we were woken] very early this morning because suddenly we had neighbours at our villa and their kids were making the most of the pool and causing a heck of a din! :slap:
    I guess that so far we`ve been spoiled. Throughout our times spent at our villa we have seldom had neighbours, and even when we did, they were just middle aged couples who only stayed for a few days anyhow, and as such it has been very quiet and peaceful.
    Knowing that our neighbours would be around the pool, I dressed before going downstairs [I normally have breakfast wearing my pj`s] and “granddad neighbour” bade me good morning, telling the kids [of which there were three] to be quiet. It was obvious from his accent that they were from the UK, but from where was anyone`s guess as it was a middle of the road accent, difficult to pin down to a particular location.

Determined to wear me down, my DW suggested that we finish off the shopping today so a trip to DTD and Premium Outlets were on the cards.
    We started off at DTD, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that there were few folks around judging by the ease with which I found a parking space on parking lot #1.
    After a trawl around the large World of Disney Store and the Lego outlet to purchase a few Christmas items for our friend`s children, we had a coffee from Ghirardelli’s, taking a seat to do a spot of people watching.
    At this stage I had a phone call from Ricardo, saying that he and his wife were going to pick us up from our villa tonight at around 7.45pm so that we could all go somewhere for dinner which was great news as this would be our last opportunity to see his DW on this trip.
    After a brief walk through Pleasure Island [ nostalgically remembering us being there with Ricardo and his DW a couple of days before the clubs were closed down for good], we browsed a few shops at the West Side [I love visiting Starabillias and Magic Masters there] before walking back to the Earl of Sandwich for a snack lunch.

Over at Premium Outlets I bought my annual pair of Reebok trainers along with a pair for my DW which thanks to a promotion we obtained at half price, along with several carrier bags full of other items, primarily for Christmas presents.

Ricardo and his wife actually arrived at our villa at 8.15pm, although in his defence he did ring to tell us they would be late!
    We went to the Hyatt Grand Cypress near to Hotel Plaza Blvd. at DTD, where Ricky had made a dinner reservation at one of their restaurants called Hemmingway`s. My DW and I had been there before but it was years ago, and so it felt very much like a new experience on this second visit.
    Although the Hyatt seems to cater for business folk primarily, it is a fantastic hotel and the lobby and gardens are out of this world…well worth a visit just to look around.
    Hemmingway’s also is highly recommended. A bit pricy, but the service and quality of food on offer are more than justified IMHO.

All too soon it was time to leave and we were dropped off back at our villa at around 11.30pm where we said our final goodbyes for this trip to Ricky`s DW amid loads of hugs and kisses all around, although we knew that we would be saying our goodbyes to the man himself at the YSH on the last night of our trip.
  2. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

Thanks again terry...loved reading about your shopping trips :yes:

So much shopping :lol: Something I hate doing.....I make a list....go buy the things on the list and get out of there!
    But, when I'm at WDW, I love to shop! World of Disney being my fave shop but I do love the Art of Disney too....just can't afford to buy much from there!
  3. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

I like shopping :D

I'll go shopping with Sue and you and Chris can do go to the gadget places :D
  4. Slowhand

Ok it`s a deal Wendy...especially seeing as I`ll have the cc`s and Sue doesn`t "do" cash when out of the UK. :lol:
  5. Wendy

I forgot that she always gets you to pay :rolleyes008:

Oh well, you'll just have to give her the CC or you two will have to come to carry the bags and pay :D We'll just let you wander round the gadget shops whilst we're in another one, but we'll whistle when something needs to be paid for :lol: :lol:
  6. Slowhand

Just as long as you don`t click your fingers. [Sue has tried that approach before and believe me it don`t work!] :lol:
  7. Wendy

:lol: :lol: I'd have loved to see your face.
  8. dave&pauline

dave&pauline Earning my ears

great report!