1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

The Slowhand`s WDW/NY/DCL Trip ~ Part five "Back at the Villa"

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Slowhand, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Saturday July 7th

With perfect timing I was able to watch the qualifying for the British F1 Grand Prix over breakfast…..a great start to the day, although not for those back home as it was pouring down with rain! :sorry:

Donna [my DW`s friend ] arrived at mid day after a 4 hour drive from her home in Miami and after a long chat [those two ladies could win a gold medal for natter if it was an Olympic sport :blah:], we headed over to DTD for lunch at [yep, you`ve guessed it…the Earl of Sandwich :lol:].
    After walking around for a while and browsing in several of the shops we arrived back at the villa around 4.00 pm, just in time to receive a phone call from Ricardo who suggested that we meet up for dinner tonight with him and his DW.

The venue he chose was a new eatery along US192 called “Eat at Joe`s” where we arrived at about 6.00 pm.
    Just as I approached the podium, the guy behind the desk turned around to join in with all the servers at the restaurant who were clapping their hands and dancing to music, encouraging several of the diners to join in! This lively venue is certainly not one to visit for a quiet romantic meal! :nono:
    I stood there wondering what on Earth was going on and then I saw Ricardo waving to me from a table where he sat with his DW as they had arrived a few minute earlier.

There was quite a comprehensive menu on offer with a strong bias towards seafood and crab in particular, although carnivores were also well catered for.
    Ricardo ordered a crab which came served in a metal bucket and appeared to have more that a crab`s fair share of legs dangling over the sides of the bucket!
    Donna in particular was very amused at Ricardo`s prowess in eating his meal with a bib around his front and extracting the meat from the legs and claws without the aid of any “tools”... although they were provided!....is there no end to this guy`s talents? :salute:

As we were having dessert, the staff again did their ritual sing and dance act in the restaurant, much to everyone’s hootin` and hollerin`.
    Now we don`t normally go to places like this for dinner, however I must admit that we all had a great time there and with great company to boot, the time just seemed to fly as we talked about this, that and the other for ages.

After saying our goodbyes and with Ricardo and his DW declining our offer for a nightcap back at the villa [they both had to work the next day], the 3 of us returned “home” for a glass [or 3] of wine before calling it a day.

Sunday July 8th

Being the perfect gent, rather than insisting on watching the Grand Prix, I offered to take my DW and Donna to Celebration as there is normally a Sunday market there [along Market Street would you believe? :yes:]

Despite this being “Market Day”, the town did seem devoid of people and so we could browse the stalls in comfort.
    I made a bee line to the stall of a photographer/artist from the Keys [Cliff Cook] who sells some very nice images of the keys.

Market.jpg

We bought a few small framed photos from him last year and he remembered us, probably because I spoke to him at length on the subject of the Keys during that last visit.
    This time I bought a couple of larger prints for back here in the UK to act as a reminder of what I am missing by not being “over there”. :sigh:

Donna and my DW bought several knick knacks along with some snack items from several of the stores, and after a coffee and a walk around the lake area, we headed back to the villa for lunch, via Publix to purchase a hot roasted chicken because my female companions both fancied a chicken salad on this occasion.

We said our goodbyes to Donna at around 4.30 pm as she departed for her 4 hour drive back to home and at 7.30 pm we had dinner with our property managers and their son at a very nice restaurant called Stonewood in the Dr. Phillips area. :thumbsup:

Monday July 9th – Wednesday July 11th

These final days in the Orlando area were mostly spent shopping at the Florida Mall, Premium Outlets and Walmart [where I needed to get some keys cut for the villa].
    A final visit to DTD on the 10th enabled me to stock up on my dose of Ghiradelli chocolate squares that I always bring home with me.

Dinners were taken at Olive Garden [9th], YSH [10th] and we ate at the villa on the last of these evenings.

We normally say our goodbyes to Ricardo on the last night of our visit, but seeing as American Airlines had brought forward our flight to New York by an hour on the 12th, and knowing that the YSH would involve a late night, we therefore arranged to have dinner there a day earlier than usual.
    Ricardo as usual made a fuss of us and during the evening several of the staff came over one by one to wish us “Bon Voyage”, including his brother [aptly named Orlando”] who also works at the restaurant.

Ricardo.jpg

[Apologies for the quality of the photo as it was taken by the lady at the podium at the YSH and she had only used a point & shoot camera before!]

The only other side trip we made during these days was to go to Kissimmee in order to meet up with an attorney to sort out some paperwork concerning the villa.
    This in itself was interesting as the attorney`s office was in the historic part of the town, somewhere we had never been to before.
    I was surprised to see a roundabout [traffic circle] here, which is a rare sight in the US.

Kissimmee.jpg

Tomorrow we leave for New York. :banana:

2. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Another great report Terry!

Lemme know if you run short of Ghiradelli squares. We might be able to find a US exporter for you. :rolleyes:

Tom :)macwave:... but I can't believe you missed Silverstone. :shocked:)

3. Slowhand

Do they ship 40ft. containers? :lol:

It gets worse Tom because I had set the DVD to record the 2 GP`s that were on while we were away and the darned thing didn`t record them....I`m sure that I set it up ok. [That`s my story & I`m sticking to it! :lol:]

4. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

This sounds a lot like Joe's Crab Shack....same place?

5. Slowhand

Yep I think that is the name, although there is a huge sign in the form of an arrow outside simply stating "Eat at Joe`s". :thumbsup:

6. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

We still haven't been to the market at Celebration, I must make a note to remember to go this year. You'll have to text me to remind me :lol:

D'ya know I think I need stronger glasses, I'm sure I read that you missed the GP :thud: :lol:

7. Slowhand

Yeah, two of them. :furious:

8. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Perhaps that can be arranged... :rolleyes:

Undoubtedly a teknikal issue. :geekon:

Tom :)macwave:... hmmm... wonder what this button does?)

9. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Another great trip report Terry. Good thing Sue doesn't read these though.

10. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

my faves :yes: they did some truly delicious specials last christmas... strawberry/mint I think or something similar. Delicious.

...and those publix hot roast chickens mmmmmmmmm :D

11. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Yep, Joe's Crab Shack. :yes: Fun place to go, but you really have to be in the mood for noisy, and kitchy, and a bit silly. The seafood pots are nice though, provided of course you are a seafood person. Seth LOVES the one for children and can polish it off in short order.

Publix rotisserie chicken. Isn't that stuff yummy?! It's so nicely priced that it makes more sense to purchase it from Publix than it does to make your own. :yes:

Sounds like you had a very nice time, Slowhand. :yes: (Oh, we've been to the Stonewood, too. Pretty restaurant. We like the Dr. Phillips area. Many choices and usually all quite good. It's a nice place to know about and very close to WDW, for those with private transport).

You know? I think we've had Orlando before! I didn't know it was Ricardo's brother!

12. Slowhand

You may well have seen Orlando at the YSH Tink as he has worked there for quite a while, although he isn`t really a server there. He is a "buzzer", setting up the tables etc. ready for the next guest, and he dashes around like a Whirling Dervish most of the time!

13. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Well that makes even more sense then, because I couldn't pull him from memory as a server... Unless I'm confusing him with someone else entirely. Ohhhh, maybe I am. Oscar. He's wonderful too! (Hey, those O names confuse me)! :redface: