1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

The Slowhand`s WDW/NY/DCL Trip ~ Part three "The middle bit of the GF"

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Slowhand, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Monday July 2nd

After a good night`s sleep we sauntered down to the GF Café for breakfast, where again we met Marvin and Louise at the podium.
    Our server was a lovely lady [Tangela], who remembered us from our earlier visits…this place really feels like a home from home to us by now.
    This view was strengthened over breakfast when another server was presenting a guy on an adjacent table a small birthday cake and as she began to sing “Happy Birthday” she shouted in a loud voice to us “Come on the xxxxx party…join in!” :wiggle:

After breakfast we drove over to Epcot which I decided would be the quickest option rather than taking two monorails.
    The first thing that we did was to collect a couple of Fastpasses for Soarin as we knew that before long the Fastpass return time would be for much later in the day, and already the standby time was 60 minutes or so and it was only 11.00am!!

Mainly to get a break from the heat, we then re-acquainted ourselves with Figment on the Journey into Imagination ride which was simply a walk on experience with no line at all.

Figment.jpg

A clockwise lap of the lake followed, spending time in several of the countries along the way

Germany.jpg

Morocco.jpg

before I opted for my customary fish & chips from the UK pavilion. As my DW doesn`t “do” greasy food, she grabbed a baguette from the France pavilion and we grabbed a table next to Harry Ramsdens to eat lunch in relative comfort.

It was now almost time to ride Soarin so we completed the circuit of the lake and did just that.
    As Test Trak was closed due to a major overhaul, we went over to the Universe of Energy, again mainly to get out of the heat. It had been literally years since I last went on this ride so in a way it felt like a relatively new experience and at least kept us cool for 30 minutes or so.
    On the way out of the park we were able to simply walk into Spaceship Earth, which had a huge line when we entered the park this morning. I find that it is always best to make this one of your last rides at Epcot unless you like standing in lines that is!

We arrived back at the GF around 3.30pm and noticed that the maid had left us with some cute towel animals to contain our toothbrushes….quite a nice touch.

Towel animals.jpg

After lounging around the pool for a while, we then drove over to the Wilderness Lodge for dinner at Artist Point where we had made an ADR for 7.30pm.
    Talk about quiet! On arrival we noticed that only 4 or 5 tables were occupied so needless to say we were given a table by a window giving us a good view of the themed gardens outside.
    AP is the only restaurant where I know exactly what I will order before seeing the menu! [Heirloom Tomato Salad [when in season], Buffalo Steak, followed by the Fruit Cobbler] and my DW also chooses the signature Plank Salmon on the majority of occasions…tonight was no exception to the rule and we had a great dinner with excellent service from our server.:thumbsup:

Back at the GF as we entered the Sugar Loaf building, one of the CM`s was clearing away the debris and half drunk glasses of booze that the “gannets” had left behind and he remarked to my DW “What a pretty dress madam”. Without thinking I immediately replied “You can borrow it if you want!”….I think he got the joke! :lol:

Tuesday July 3rd.

Another fine and sunny day greeted us as we made our way to the GF Café for breakfast, served again by Tangela, after which we opted to visit DHS via the WDW bus.

Upon arrival we went on the Great Movie Ride which had only a 5 minute wait time. I have done this ride oodles of times but always enjoy it, especially the Wizard of Oz part towards the end.

Wizard of Oz.jpg

So far we have never managed to check out Toy Story Mania, and today was no exception. The wait time was over 60 minutes and the Fastpass return time stated was 4.30 pm. As it was now only around 10.30 am, again we gave it a miss as there was no way that I was going to stand in line for that length of time or stay at the park all day just for the sake of one ride! :nono:

I then noticed that the “Lights,Motors ,Action” show had just started and they were still allowed folks to enter the arena so we high tailed it over there and just about managed to grab seats in the shade.

LMA 1.jpg

LMA 2.jpg

LMA 3.jpg

This was followed by a visit to see “Muppets 3D” before heading over to the TOT where again there was a huge wait line….as was the case at the nearby R&RC ride.
    I then took the “soft knuckle ride” approach and we went into the Beauty & the Beast theatre where the show began after a 5 minute wait….again a great way to spend 30 minutes in the shade.

Beast.jpg

Following a snack lunch at Gasparilla`s back at the GF and a spot of lazing around the pool, we then drove over to the Dolphin for dinner at the Blue Zoo restaurant for our 7.30 pm reservation.
    We had an excellent meal [as usual], in the fairly “up market” surroundings of the restaurant, and here I chose one of the fish dishes, forsaking my normal carnivorous tendency, and was not disappointed.
    The service was excellent and the total cost was considerably less expensive than our so-so dinner at Narcoosee`s the other evening. :yes:

Back at the GF, we had both just dozed off when I heard loads of explosions going off nearby. I knew immediately that it would be “Wishes” at MK and initially thought that as I would see the fireworks on another evening, then I`ll give them a miss tonight.
    However as the pops and bangs seemed to be carrying on for much longer than usual, it dawned on me that maybe they were trying out the 4th of July show as the concierge guy had told me was to take place.
    I therefore grabbed my camera to take a few shots from our balcony.

Fireworks 1.jpg

Fireworks 2.jpg

[Please excuse the quality of the photos, but after all I was half asleep and felt a bit of a plonker standing on the balcony in my jim jams in view of the folks sitting outside Gasparilla`s taking in the free show!]

2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Re: The Slowhand`s WDW/NY/DCL Trip ~ Part two "The middle bit of the GF" "

Loving the trip reports :D

We haven't been wowed recently by artist point and it's practically empty every time we go! Nevertheless, I'd like to give it another try because when they get the food right, it's amazing. I may make a December reservation whilst I remember.

Blue zoo is a hidden gem IMHO. I was staying at the Dolphin once and feeling not so great one day when we had a reservation for blue zoo. I didn't want to spoil DW's evening so went down there but explained to the server I would be eating light since I wasn't feeling too great. Well, out came the manager, the chef, they went through every ingredient they had to try and come up with something light but yet nice to eat. I felt really well looked after and indeed, felt much better after something good to eat! There was even a discussion about what the best drink would be :lol: The only complaint I'd have about blue zoo is that as a function of the dolphin being a conference hotel, some tables filled with drunk conference goers can be awfully loud and the room seems to amplify the noise somehow.

Great fireworks photos too ! :)

...and yep, we've never managed to do Toy Story Mania either ! been trying for years :lol:

3. Slowhand

Re: The Slowhand`s WDW/NY/DCL Trip ~ Part two "The middle bit of the GF" "

I know what you mean about the conference issue Keith, but fortunately we`ve never come across that sort of thing at the Blue Zoo whenever we have dined there.

......and I`m glad that it is not just me who has failed to get into TSM. :yes:

4. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I read your words and try to capture the essence of your incredible satisfaction with life. Inspiration for me, who seems to focus a bit too much on those things that go wrong, and not more on the many things that are truly wonderful in life.

Thank you for these great reports. Looking forward to reading each one!

The photos are lovely! :yes:

5. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

And that's three of us who've never managed to get into TSM. :mad:

Wonder what they do? Sell out the Fast Passes to the highest bidder or something? I've never seen a ride so difficult to get on. :shrug:

Seriously great pictures and report Terry. My DW and I have also enjoyed AP. At least on that one time that we stayed at the WL. And it was pretty empty when we went also.

I want to know how you got into WS and got the picture of Germany with absolutely no one around? :unsure:

Tom :)macwave:... your pictures are making me home sick.)

6. Slowhand

Thank you for those comments kind lady. :hug2:
    Life is too short to be miserable eh?

7. Slowhand

I guess that I will have to put the word out with "someone" in order to get a reasonably timed admission for this attraction. :lol:

In the main it was fairly quiet at all of the parks when we went Tom, apart from DHS.
    Then again as this is not as spread out as the other parks I find this to be the norm.

8. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

That's interesting Terry. Whenever we've gone, it always seems to be mobbed. I'd love to find a time of year (other than August) when we could go where it wasn't terribly crowded.

Tom :)macwave:... ahh.... now I know why it wasn't crowded for you. Everyone was over getting FastPasses to TSM! :ROFL:)

9. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

:overhere: Make me the 4th person that has never been on Toy Story Mania :lol:

Terry it sounds lovely and it was nice to see photos of Figment, I can't remember the last time we went on there.

Was the fruit cobbler as delicious as usual at AP, it's all your fault I've got the taste for them you know - you know what I'm like for sweet things, you were a bad influence on me :lol:

I think you did a good job of the fireworks, seeing as you'd just woken up :)

I'm loving these trippies, keep em coming :hug2:

10. Slowhand

Well I enjoyed it! :lol:
    Actually the chef has changed it a bit and now it included a crunchy base of pastry.

11. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Another fabulous trip report Terry. We haven't done Artist Point in a while but it is one of our favorites. Have never done Blue Zoo, though it is on my bucket list.

TSM is one of those we make sure to be there when the park opens for. If we come in late, we skip it. I haven't yet figured out how to beat Donna head to head though. I did outscore her when she was riding in a separate car with her brother though.