1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

The Slowhands cruise around Europe ~ Part 7 [Day at Sea]

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Slowhand, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Friday July 23rd
    Unusually I didn`t wake up until 8.30 am which is something of a lie in for me when cruising, however I guess that the hectic days and late nights we`ve had since boarding the ship must have finally caught up with me.

A lazy day seemed like a good idea and so after a leisurely breakfast at Lumiere`s my DW and lounged around on deck 9, with a blanket as it was a tad cool.
    We had a mid morning coffee at Cove Café where we had a chat with Pio which was followed by a visit to Shutters to collect the numerous photos that had been taken of us by the ship`s photographers earlier during the cruise.
    As I had now used up all of the credits on the package I bought on our last cruise, I therefore signed up for another one as I knew that we would have a lot more taken later in this cruise.

We had a snack lunch on deck 9, and then later the lure of the $5,000 jackpot tempted us to go to Rockin` Bar “D” to play bingo.
    $30 lighter, and certainly not $5,000 richer :sorry:, we bumped into Doug & Michelle and spent the remainder of the day just lounging around with them.

There was a new show on at the Walt Disney Theatre tonight called “Villains” which we all attended before getting ready for dinner. Actually our friends were already dressed for dinner as Doug & Michelle were bound for Palos tonight and we had arranged to keep Dani company for dinner in their absence.
    The show as it`s title implies featured many of the Disney villains from the films in a singing and dancing extravaganza that we all enjoyed, and it was nice to be able to spot Rainer [who Tim had introduced to us earlier] taking one of the roles.

We had arranged to meet Doug & Michelle after they had left Palos, at Parrot Cay, our restaurant for tonight`s dinner so that we could carry out our “plan”. :evil:
    Today was Tim Moss`s birthday and all week we had been putting the word around to the CM`s and officers that we were planning on celebrating with Tim after dinner tonight in Sessions.
    Tonight was ideal for the celebration as even the climatic conditions were favourable as there was a stunning sunset.

Zan [our head waiter] had arranged for us to collect a huge birthday cake made by one of the chef`s, although sadly we weren`t allowed to adorn it with candles as they were deemed a fire risk! :nono:
    We all entered Sessions where we saw that several of the ship`s officers including the Entertainment Director [Peter], were sat around a table adjacent to Tim`s piano….naturally Orasa and Angel [the waiters] has reserved our usual spot on the other side of the raised stage area. :thumbsup:

Tim`s piano playing was immediately interrupted when we entered the room as everyone “in the know” stood up to sing “Happy Birthday” to him.
    My DW had made him a lovely card with a grand piano on the front that she gave to him, and Doug & Michelle presented him with their card and a boxed set of cd`s that she brought with her from Warner Brothers where she works. There was also a huge card that was signed by loads of CM`s and officers, all of which Tim placed on his piano which began to look like a mantlepiece!
    Tim was genuinely stunned by these events and he told us later that in the 5 years he has been on the Disney Magic, this was the first time that anyone had acknowledged his birthday, and he was overwhelmed by all the attention. :wiggle:

After the cake cutting ceremony, we and our friends served everyone with their slice of cake, the plates and cutlery already having been concealed behind the bar by the bar staff earlier in the day.

We have seldom seen Tim partake in an alcoholic drink, however on this special day, he had several drinks lined up adjacent to his piano which were bought by several CM`s and some of the other guests.
    As he had work to do, Tim then carried on with his stint behind the piano. Tonight though, he really let rip, playing loads of popular rock and roll songs to which we all clapped and sang along with. :banana: The whole atmosphere of Sessions this evening was completely transformed from it`s usual air of a quiet retreat for adults who normally go there for some light background music with singing provided by Tim on most nights.

At around 11.00 pm, Rainer came into Sessions en route to the changing rooms via a door at the rear of Sessions. She had just been in the ship`s atrium for the “Villains Ball” and as she stopped for a chat we found it hard to recognise her at first as her make up and costume were very deceiving!

Although officially Sessions closes at midnight, we must have been granted an extension tonight as Tim played on and on before joining us for a chat and the occasional photograph.

We finally made it to bed at around 2.30 am, and guess what? Yep, yet another time change forward by one hour! :thud:
    Fortunately we weren`t due in port until mid day thank heavens!

Tomorrow it`s Russia!

2. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

What a wonderful surprise!

3. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Really cool Terry! :thumbsup:

Although I'll have to admit, I never knew that your DW played the piano. She looks quite natural there behind the keys! :yes:

Tom :)macwave:... 88 of those little black and white thingies!)

4. Slowhand

It`s amazing how photos can lie eh Tom? :lol:
    We would love to be able to introduce you and Carol to Tim on the Dream cruise, but sadly he told us that as there weren`t any piano bars on that ship, he seems destined to remain on the "Magic" for the foreseeable time which is a great shame. :sorry:

5. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

That's odd. The District Lounge (deck 4 aft) is supposed to have live piano. However, that's the only one I can find.

I'm rather surprised! :shocked:

Tom :)macwave:... don't make me bring my own!)

6. Slowhand

Thanks for that Tom. :thumbsup:
    So far I haven`t checked out all of the deck plans on the Dream Tom, however I will definately send Tim an email with this info. as I`m sure he would love to give it a go.

7. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Wow what a great surprise for Tim! That's a really pretty cake (far nicer than anyone we were able to obtain for the many August birthdays when we cruised... :unsure: :D ).

Sounds like it was quite a lively night. What a great thing to do for Tim. :yes: You know he'll remember it always!

8. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

Terry, Sue - :hug2: That's for being two of the nicest people I've never met!
    I'm sure Tim will remember and talk about his birthday for a long time to come. That was a very special thing you did for him.
    Love the photos :thumbsup:

9. Slowhand

Thanks for those kind words Diane. :hug2:
    Tim was really delighted with Sue`s card. He jokingly said that he would take it to his grave with him, and he then put it on his chest and folded his arms as though he was in a coffin to give us the visual image! :lol:

10. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

Wonderful wonderful trip report......

I cannot tell you how much you have inspired me to consider a cruise holiday.......

11. Disneybumble

Disneybumble The Secret is in the Sauce.

Thank you Terry. You and your DW are very kind and considerate.

12. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

Simply awesome Terry! Well done!

I can't believe in 5 years this is the first time anyone had acknowledged Tim's B-day. :unsure: