1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

The surprise May Villa & car (gulp) trip

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by keith, Apr 28, 2011.

1. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

We were planning on missing our usual May trip this year and having a longer Christmas/new year trip instead. Well things changed and I decided to book a surprise visit for DW staying in a lovely villa and gulp, tremble, hiring a car as you've all told me to for many long years :lol:

As a quick last minute thing, I was pricing up flights and although virgin wanted £600+ per person economy, hardly any discount for miles+money any more, thomas cook wanted a little over £200 each! So well I thought I'd give it a go for that price.

So here we are, terminal 1 in Manchester airport rather than the usual terminal 2, sitting in the escape lounge courtesy of the barclays premier airport angel scheme. Worked a treat and got us in free.

I dont know if the escape lounge has improved in terminal 2 recently but here in terminal 1 it's a LOT better than our last t2 escape experience. Compared to the toast in t2 escape, the t1 version has bacon sandwiches, egg with toast soldiers and loads more besides!

The staff in t2 escape have been quite snotty on several occasions, again in t1 couldnt be more different. Very very nice and helpful.

Of course I'm not really looking forward to the plane :lol: 200quid doesnt buy much and I understand that the seats are tiny and in flight entertainment is going to be limited to watching me try and fit into a seat. Luckily I've brought my ipad heavily loaded with films and books. SO much easier than bringing all those heavy magazines and paper books!

in flight meals were extra too but they're always awful so this time I've saved the money and bought some sandwiches from good ole boots instead.

At the other end, assuming I survive the tiny seats, we'll hopefully have a dodge charger or similar waiting for us and we'll be trying the Orlando bumper car experience for the very first time. If you never hear from me again, well, look for the rear of a dodge charger poking out from a swamp somewhere in the everglades and think of me.

In other gadget news, this it the first outing of the apple macbook air SSD. Tiny little thing, needs to be seen to be believed and instant to start up and load apps because of the 256GB ssd drive. I pondered bringing the 15 or 17 macbook pros as usual but this time thought I'd try and see if I could live with this tiny thing for a couple of weeks. so far so good! definitely a very fast little device and perfect for travel.

2. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

Hope you don't end up in a swamp! Have fun!

3. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

Wow, you got a GREAT price on the flight! We ended up having to pay over £2000 for two seats in December school holidays which cuts into our spends drastically.

You're gonna be fine with the car/driving - just you wait and see. :yes: Sit for a while at the car pick up and get used to where all the controls are before you set off - you'll wonder why you got so nervous.

Have a truly brilliant time and safe journey :hug2:

4. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

mick *faints* OMG a trip report from keith :lol:

cool!! your gonna have a great time keith in a villa and i promise you will love the freedom of having the car to go where and when you want. its a piece of cake driving over there once you get used to driving on the wrong side of the road :D

have a great time and looking forward to reading more about your trip :)

5. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Wow, knew you were asking a lot of car questions, but WOW, off today. Have a great trip.

6. arkvilla

arkvilla Addicted to Mickey

Have a great time Keith and I hope you love the villa experience

Driving is a doddle and you'll soon wonder why you've never done it before :)

Sandra

7. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Wow! A new game of "Where's Keith".

And I didn't even know we were playing. :unsure:

Tom :)macwave:... it's kinda like "Where's Waldo" but different.)

8. daveann

daveann Addicted to Mickey

oh my goodness have a fab time you will love driving over there just relax and have fun :)

9. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

:mental: Think of all the places you can go with the car! Exciting!

10. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

P.s... send a Mouse on the Move when you've arrived safely at the villa because otherwise we'll have to send Tink swamp diving.

11. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

You will be fine! And your always going to want a car now. It makes life sooooo much easier.

Have a fun trip!

12. uscwest

Anyone have a GPS tracker system so we can track him on his cell phone and know where he is?

13. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

Have fun and enjoy that new found freedom! :wave:

14. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

No doubt you are 30,000 feet in the air by now Keith....I hope that you gave us a wave as you passed over our house en route from Manchester. :lol:

Have a tremendous vacation and enjoy your new experience of driving over there. :wave:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  15. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Well what a day :)

Thomas cook cheapy seats weren't nearly as bad as expected! Definitely an inch or two less wide than virgin's economy, definitely an inch or two less legroom (and to be honest, I've always thought virgin economy was possibly in breach of certain basic human rights :tongue: ) but decent in flight entertainment, helpful staff and the lack of free inflight meal/drinks meant I could actually get a bit of undisturbed sleep. Well undisturbed other than the hundreds of screaming kids.

Sanford great as always. Small, fast, unfussy.

Dollar car hire went well with no hard sell on anything and the car is a rather nice 4 door dodge charger.

For reasons which currently escape my tired brain, we missed the turn for 417 and ended up going the i4 way but at least that meant we avoided all the tolls! To be honest, it was fine :) busy but certainly nowhere near as bad as the UK M6 on a monday morning :lol:

We spent the evening at EPCOT at bistro de paris. Scrumptious indeed! and rounded it off with illuminations for a perfect first evening.

Then back to the villa. Wow. I was quite content with my uk home until I saw this villa and I now realise that back in the UK I actually live in a hovel :lol: Absolutely beautiful but for now, I need some sleep :)

Tomorrow, dw wants to watch some wedding or other :taunt: and I want to see the shuttle launch and do the Luau at the polynesian :)

16. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Serious Forum Regular

Yay! He got there just fine, knew he would.... well ok so I had some doubts... but Yay!

17. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

Keith lives! Yay

18. daveann

daveann Addicted to Mickey

Yay you went I4 route it's so easy isn't it :) if you go back that way I can recommend the long horn steak house which is on lake Emma road the 1st exit right after you join the road down to the airport :)
    Have fun :)

19. uscwest

So how did you like driving in America for the first time? Glad you arrived safely and all is well.

20. Tinkfan

Tinkfan Earning my ears

:wave:Have the best time ever! Pictures please!!!!