1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

The Unveiling - my iPad

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by catrancher, Apr 3, 2010.

1. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Yes. Several of those are there and there's a Kevin J. Anderson author page that lists 23 of his books available in the iBook store. :thumbsup:

Probably. At least initially. I'm sure it will be very similar to the iTunes stores when they first came into being. First in the US, then later to the rest of the world. I feel pretty safe in saying that I'm sure Apple will get with the publishers and get any differences worked out. There's far too big a revenue stream available with this thing to keep it from moving forward for too long. :mental:

Tom :)macwave:... it's charging. I ran it to death. But it only had a partial charge to begin with!)

2. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

Fab re Anderson but grrr re ibook in the UK...

If the ipad is in the UK at the end of this month, how long would the Ibook be ready I wonder.....

3. catrancher

I imagine we'll have a better idea of that after the end of the month! :ROFL:

Tom :)macwave:... it'll get there!)

4. Deafjeff

not impressed with apple...... having a second thought now :-(

5. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Apple are and always have been VERY US-centric Jeff. A lot of the things they've done over time have been better in the US And rather an after thought in the UK. It does sting I admit.

However, Tom's totally right. The ibook store will come to the UK as soon as they possibly can. The money will be irresistable to them. We still have to find out the ipad prices over here yet! As well as 3g data plans and so on.

So Tom!!!! any updates? for say reading/posting on here, answering email, is it pretty amazing?

6. Deafjeff

Maybe I am a bit naive here but always assumed that the ibook option would be ready at the time of purchase. I am gutted as that was one of the reason for the purchase...

Now I am not sure if I should wait until they roll out the ibook or buy it anyway ho hum....

7. keith

Well it still could be out on day of launch given the day of launch isn't till the end of this month at best. My guess is they'll try hard but not get it there quite in time but they'll have it next month (june latest)

To be honest though, if you're REALLY after it for the book capability it would make sense to wait until the book store comes out

8. catrancher

I'm back on my Mac at the moment. My iPad's resting. They only come partially charged and I exhausted the poor thing. :thud:

Is it amazing? Absolutely! :thumbsup:

Takes a bit of getting used to (but not much). The keyboard layout is a little different from the iPhone. Not bad. Just a little different. However, I've found that I can type very quickly on it. The only issue is as I mentioned before, that it lags somewhat. In technospeak, it feels like you fill the buffer and then it's got to pause for a moment while it drains it. Of course, you're still typing but nothing's showing. I'm sure it's something that will get resolved post haste! :yes:

The apps for it however are beyond belief. I mentioned the mail app earlier and I still stand by what I said. The one I didn't mention however, it the Photo app. I still can't believe how good this is! :mental:

Open your photos in the Photo app (it's just called Photos, BTW) and there are all your photos. Now, what's cool is to touch the "faces" or "location" tab at the top of the page. For instance with "Faces", there's each of the people you've identified with a pile of photos over the name. A quick open pinch flick expands the pile into individual photos aligned neatly across your screen. A quick pinch flick back in turns them back into one of the piles. The whole thing reminds me of watching some of the current TV shows where the detectives, CSI's, etc. have a big, transparent computer screen that you can see thru. They then "throw" pictures, files, whatever around on the screen. It's that same kind of concept and feeling. Just on a real device instead of a TV studio set.

The iPhone applications look a little strange in that they display their original phone type screen in the middle of all that glass. There is an X2 button for them that blows their display up to 2 times it's normal size. They run, and run fine. They just look a little strange. I'm sure that won't last too long as developers upgrade their apps for the iPad.

All in all, I'm very pleased with it and impressed with the applications. Especially the ones that Apple has provided that are specially for the iPad. These are absolutely unbelievable! :worship:

With these kind of apps working the way they do, it wouldn't take much for me to believe that we're on the cusp of a new computing pardigm (I do so hate that word!).

That's enough of my techno babble! :slap:
    I'm done now. :goingtobed:

Tom :)macwave:... early adopter #1)

9. keith

Superb review Tom! :yes:

How much space are you using on it? I'm wrestling with which version to buy when it's eventually out :D

10. catrancher

I wrestled too! The big one won! :D

I'm glad it did! :thumbsup:

Of 59.2 Gig available, I've used 28.3 Gig. Got 30.9 Gig available.

I have 1217 songs, 99 videos (several Disney and Pixar cartoons, 2 full length movies; Up and WallE, all the Fawlty Towers episodes and numerous video podcasts, and iTunes U videos), 3296 photos, and 21 applications.

So, still plenty of room for growth. But I'd much rather have room to grow in rather than wishing I'd gotten the larger one. Had I gotten the 16 Gig, I would've had to decide what NOT to put on it. If I'd gotten the 32 Gig one, I'd be almost full right now. Nope. Glad I got the 64 Gig one! :thumbsup:

BTW - watching the videos on it is totally immersive. You ever been totally immersed in Fawlty Towers? It's an experience not to be missed!

'Scuse me... gotta go. I believe Manuel has set fire to the kitchen!

Tom :)macwave:... yes Sybil dear... you miserable ^#%&$)

11. catrancher

Oh... BTW... just to show you how cool this thing is in non-technical terms.

I came home with it and my loving but technologically challenged DW took one look at it and said "I want one too!".

I just knew that was gonna happen. :unimpressed:

Tom :)macwave:... gotta buy another one soon I guess!)

12. keith

Wow ok thats very interesting indeed.

Argh though, I could do with the 3G variant if I'm going to be able to buy it as a business expense and use it to support work but a 64GB 3G is gulp :lol:

13. Deafjeff

Thanks for really helpful review, I got iphone so might get 16G.

Am I correct in thinking that the only way to connect the internet is via wifi (apart from 3G models)

14. catrancher

Yes, that's correct. At least right now. I'm sure some enterprising developers somewhere will try to come up with something to use Bluetooth tethering to a cell phone but I don't think it's available quite yet. :unsure:

However, whether or not Apple would approve something like that for the app store is quite another matter. :mental:

BTW - I looked last night in the iPad App Store and the Apple iWork suite (Pages, Numbers, and Keynote) are all available there for $9.99 each. I may get them and post a review here. If they're as good as the included apps on the iPad, they're going to be spectacular!

Tom :)macwave:... there's an app for that!)

15. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

From what I've seen, iWork for the iPad is fantastic :yes:

16. keith

yep Iwork looks amazing on it

17. Deafjeff

Am I right to say that Itunes (UK) doesnt have any apps for Ipad yet as I tries to browse the store itself just now.

18. catrancher

Probably not yet, Jeff. You can always change your country in the iTunes store and go browse the US store. :yes:

Don't believe you can buy from any store outside where your user id is registered however. :unsure:

At the bottom of the iTunes store interface, there's a link that says "Change Country". Give it a shot and look around! :eye:

Tom :)macwave:... peeks into UK store!)

19. Deafjeff

Hi, I didnt realised that ibooks is apps itself, I thought it was build in thing that comes with software.... feeling wee bit better now :yes:

Thanks for the tip re iTunes

20. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

:mental:

sorry more coherent reply when my brain starts working - that is luverly :yes:

thanks for sharing Tom