1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

The Wave

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by Tink, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

We dined at the Wave in the Contemporary on April 2 (a Wednesday) being seated at about 6:15 pm after a very brief wait.

The decor still doesn't do much for me on this our second visit, the first being years ago when it first opened. The restaurant has no windows and no natural source of light, so a BlueZoo theme would have been more to my liking, but it is by no means depressing or unattractive. The tables are too small however.

The restaurant is quiet, which is nice. None of that echoing loudness you get in some venues. There was a shrieking child at one point, but I think the parents stuffed it's little cavernous mouth with a loaf of bread or something. ;)

The server was wonderful. Nicole knew her menu, and was more than willing to ask some of our more picky "foodie" questions (How WAS that vanilla powder made?) without acting a bit put out or rushed. She served the table very meticulously, but without being intrusive what so ever.

The menu is based on locally sourced Florida food which is very nice to know. I won't remember the entire menu, but there were enough choices to make it interesting without making it overwhelming. A very nice note was the true menu for the boy which included more than the ever present Mickey pizza, yellow mac n' cheese, and chicken tenders.

The Wave has started a new "thing" with some of their wine choices (two, I believe). They obtain them in the stainless barrels typically only used at the vineyard, which allows them to have wine on tap. We did not try that this time however, choosing instead a very nice Angel cab. Very light and it did not burn a streak down my throat with overly heavy tannins.

We had the cheese plate, scallops and a salad for appetizers. The cheese plate was American cheese (remember the local factor) but in European style. Each portion of cheese came with a fruit based compliment. The brie had a bit of quince paste along with it. Very nice, although the brie did taste to me, more like a camembert. The Gruyere style cheese had the unique vanilla powder and honey with tiny microgreens. The vanilla powder was a big hit. The goat cheese was wonderful, flavored with lavender! It was served with fig, and a fig and almond confection. There were slices of toasted baguette, but we preferred the whole grain bread that is served as a matter of course.

The scallops (four) were cooked perfectly and served on a bed of risotto that had been flavored with green herb reduction. Very nice, light and honestly could have been a meal with a salad. The salad was a cobb style, with heavily smoked bacon, chopped egg, and lovely mixed and very fresh greens. Large shavings of parmesan were also on the salad.

Two of our party had the lamb chops which are recommended to be served medium rare. Both went with that, but one was truly more rare than medium. Had this been my choice I would have ordered the lamb medium well. I don't do well with rare meat. The dish came with a huge brussell sprout and a very adult version of macaroni and cheese. The macaroni and cheese consisted of orichiette and cheddar cheese based sauce. It tasted quite nice, if you like that sort of thing. It was served in a large bowl, however instead of on a dinner plate. That made it quite difficult to cut the meat. Oh, and they do not do sharp knives, and yes the lamb was able to be cut with a butter knife, but that combined with the bowl make it a bit awkward.

I had the lobster ravioli with shrimp in a cream tomato sauce. Now, I do stupid things on a regular basis. It keeps me humble. First, I don't like red sauce with fish. Period. I thought I'd be ok given the cream addition. That made it somewhat better, but nope. I still don't like red sauce and fish. The ravioli were very nice, and too many. I could not finish them. The shrimp were very small. Salad size small, and as a result were overcooked. That's the second part of my mistake. If you know me, you know I'm unbearably fussy about seafood, believing only I can cook it properly. So why did I order it?!! Well, I'd not had pasta in ages and it was my birthday, you see. All in all, it was not a bad dish by any means. It was a dish that anyone would like, except for a fussy seafood lover who doesn't do tomato with seafood.

The boy had a petite filet and was able to easily cut through it with his butter knife. He ordered it medium, and it was served a perfect medium. There were lovely haricot verts and a nice rice served with it. He could have chosen French fries as an alternative to the rice.

Dessert at the Wave consists of "samplers" or flights. Three selections per dessert choice. We had all three, which consisted of nine small square dishes of dessert! They were all very nice in their own way and I would recommend any of them. One of the three selections is a "no sugar added" and it was very, very nice. Lavender strawberry shortcake! So delicious. Huckleberries with panna cotta was another selection on that particular sampler and it was very nice too. There was a chocolate angel food cake with fruit, but I must say the angel food cake was more like devil's food. Heavy like a normal cake and not light like you would expect angel food to be. The other selections featured a creme bruleƩ, a cheese cake, a very delicious chocolate something or other, a chocolate pudding like affair that was a heavy pudding, but very nice. You get the general idea.

For drinks we had Evian water (the tap water is nasty) and the previously mentioned wine.

When we were finished, I asked at the podium for a compliment card and made it out for Nicole. It really only takes a few short minutes, and it means so very, very much to the servers. Do try to remember to do that each time you dine at a full service. A seemingly little thing to do that has real repercussions behind the scenes. :yes:

It was a very nice dinner, and we'll return.
    BUTTERHEAD1 and robertcraig like this.
  2. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Glad to see that you enjoyed it Tink and thanks for the info.
    This is somewhere that we haven`t tried so we must give it a go on our next trip.
    Tink likes this.
  3. Tink

I thought of you and Sue while we were there! We said that you both would like it, as there are two very nice fish choices that differ with availability. That evening it was swordfish or striped bass. And there is the red meat selection for our Slowhand. :yes:

You'll have a good dinner and who knows? You may find a server or two there that you like! ;)
  4. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

We went for breakfast twice last summer! Having so many choices to eat at, that says a lot about the food quality.

We loved the breakfast buffet, one of the few worth the price.

I also really liked how the restaurant is very spread out, and as you mentioned Tink, how quiet it was.

There were a few tables with kids, but the noise level was almost non existant.

Also, it has enough space for strollers, and we did see a couple putting their toddler in one for a nap, which its impossible to do at most restaurants.

So, I wouldnt hesitate going back, and dinner sounds very nice Tink!
    Tink likes this.
  5. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

I love to read your dining reports. They are always so thorough; but beyond that, you're knowledgeable about food in a way that isn't pretentious...when you describe food I can actually understand and learn from it - even with the limited knowledge I have. I love that.

Dinner sounds quite lovely, and you, like me, understand that oftentimes service can make a huge impact on the experience as a whole. I will absolutely start asking for comment cards, I never realized they were available at the restaurants!

Thank you for the review, I hope you had a lovely birthday celebration!
    Tink likes this.
  6. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Dinner sounds very nice and I like the sound of the desserts, but then you knew I would :lol:

It's somewhere for Chris and I to try next year, but only on certain nights :wink:
    Tink likes this.
  7. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I truly love your dining reports Tink, they're always so well thought out and full of detail. I'll definitely be retrying the wave
    Tink likes this.
  8. robertcraig

robertcraig Serious Forum Regular

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    Enjoyed my visit to the Wave last year and have an adr for this year
    Tink likes this.
  9. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

We went when Ben was 2 and he napped throughout the whole meal! Ava did exactly the same last year.
    Ben was also chosen as the 'young farmer' for the day which meant he got to officially open the restaurant. He was presented with a wheelbarrow full of local produce and was asked to choose 5 items. Chef then made something specially for him with it. It was a great touch!
    Tink likes this.
  10. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

We've still not done it for dinner, but did it twice for breakfast in December. Donna did the buffet both times, while I opted for the sweet potato pancakes once and the buffet the second. Both times we enjoyed it.
    Tink likes this.
  11. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

We've been meaning to try The Wave for dinner and just have not got around to it. We've done drinks here a couple times and those have been very good.
    Tink likes this.
  12. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

This sounds like a wonderful meal. A phenomenal server can make the meal, especially for me.
  13. robertcraig

robertcraig Serious Forum Regular

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    I always find the servers at Disney friendly and helpfull
    Tink likes this.
  14. Tink

Wendy, I hear that the very best servers are on Sunday evening, and then again on Thursdays and Fridays. :D

We were not impressed when we first went, but this last time showed that they have come a very long way. Chef Paul Napoli really cares about the way the food is not only prepared, but presented.

Vicki, that sounds so nice for Ben! :yes: I didn't know they did that.

Mari, you are right. There is room enough to move between the tables, and you don't overhear what the other diners are talking about which is nice too.

Becca, we simply love food. Mama was a real stickler for fresh food, and she was a wonderful cook (when she was cooking Italian). Having spent formative years in Maine set me up for loving seafood, particularly clams, mussels and lobsters. Having them right there and "free" for the cost of clam digging or running a lobster line, gave us fresh seafood on nearly a daily basis. Then Da loved to fish for relaxation and nearly every one of our vacations involved his being able to bring the boat and fish. So, that added fin fish to the mix of fresh seafood. Every summer we would have smelts cooked outdoors. They were so good! Haven't had those since those days. Tried smelt from the grocery case once. :nono: :D Thank you for being so kind. :hug2:
    Beccaberry likes this.
  15. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

Neither did I Tink, it was a great surprise. They dressed him up and everything.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2014
  16. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Wow, that sounds lovely Vikki :)
  17. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

I don't know that I've ever had smelt! I'm sometimes amused by the fact that I often tell people that seafood is my favorite type of food, yet there is so much of it that I've never tried! But then again, I guess that gives me that much more to look forward to!
  18. Tink

The ones I am familiar with are caught in freshwater running water, "the smelt are running." It's done in the evening and seems to always be cold. Of course, the streams of the Adirondacks are always cold. They are small and silvery, and are easily cleaned using scissors. I never did more than watch, as the cleaning always took place during the dead of the early morning (think 2:00 am) but Mama and Da would clean buckets of them. They freeze well.

My parents cooked them by dipping them in a light coating of flour and deep frying them over the open fire outdoors. They were, as Da said, better than French fries. :D :lol: Anyway, probably more than you cared to know!
  19. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

Wow! That sounds very nice!!

WE will never experience that, I dont see us arriving that early ever, hahahaha, we barely make the last breakfast seating!
  20. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

I liken smelt to a large sardine. I think I've only ever eaten them once though.