1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

things to do and see at the animal lodge

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by goofygal, Oct 26, 2008.

1. goofygal

goofygal Imagineer

I keep hearing about this resort but its quite expensive. What is there to do and see ? persuade me to stay there instead of pop century perhaps :yes:

2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

YIKES! Major price difference!

The two are really impossible to compare. AKL is a hotel proper in that all the rooms (not including the DVC villas) are self contained. It has a beautiful full service restaurant, Jiko and a great buffet (Boma) along with a small counter service place and a full service bar. They have a nice pool as well, with a zero entry area.

The real draw is the lobby which is essentially a museum, and the animals, of course. There are public viewing areas throughout the resort, and depending upon the room you have, from your room.

There is story telling, and other activities.

Really no comparison, you see?

3. MinnieMouse

MinnieMouse Earning my ears

We love the AKL. It is such a fantastic resort. I can heard the piped music they play at the bus stop as I am doing this post. We have such good memories of the AKL. :p015:

4. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

:p015:Yes, great place. Not that we have stayed there yet. We had ADR at Bomas. While waiting in the beautiful lobby there was a story teller weaving stories that had all the kids marching about, banging on instruments and having fun. Looks like great fun for the younger kids.

5. forresterpj

forresterpj Earning my ears

AKL is one of my favorite Disney resorts! I love the things that everyone has mentioned, but where else can you sit on your balcony and see giraffe and zebras and wildebeest right there? It makes for an awesomely unique experience.

Also, they have a ton of activities. For adults, the have a culinary tour, and on certain days some of the cast members speak about their native countries. There also is a tour where they share information about some of the art contained in the resort. There are also tons of activities for children too - from animal exploration activities, to cookie decorating, music and so much more.
    <O:p
    We could honestly go there and never leave the lodge! It is that great!!!
    <O:p></O:p>
    As mentioned, there is a large difference in price between that and Pop, but whatever you choose, have a great time!

Pam

6. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

We were lucky enough to get an awesome AP rate at AKL years ago. We LOVED the resort!! It is truly the only resort I have ever stayed at that smells good. WE tried Boma solely because of the smells coming from the restaurant and it is now one of our favorite restaurants.

You don't have to stay there to go see the animals and enjoy the atmostphere.