1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Things to do in Washington?

Discussion in 'Non Disney Trips and Travels' started by keith, May 6, 2014.

1. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

Wow, that is a great list isn't it? In addition to the Smithsonian collections, the public monuments and the like, you could opt for a tour of the mint (maybe they will hand out some samples :lol:), and the Holocost Museum. They are pretty close by. Take the M to Georgetown for great places to eat. Not sure if you are as mad for cupcakes as many, but the stars of the TV show Georgetown Cupcakes can be visited (if you don't mind waiting in line for an hour).

Keith I would suggest if you have any time, rent a car and go to Skyline Drive (only about 3o or 40 minutes south of DC). It is a world away and you can see deer, bears and other critters along with beautiful vistas of the National Park! Well worth the time and effort. Let me know if you decide to do that I can put you in touch of printed guides to the park.

keith likes this.
  2. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

OOOOH, I'll have to do some research on this, I've never heard of it, but it sounds lovely! A great side trip next time we are up that way!

3. Watchinherskip

Lots of information here: http://www.visitskylinedrive.org/Home.aspx

You can stay in lodges at the top of the mountain, nice place to eat, hike, horse back ride, and take side trips to the local wineries. Ducards in nearby Syria, Virginia is one of my favorites.

4. Watchinherskip

You can run it North to South starting at Front Royal, VA. I think it is about 45 minutes out of the general DC area (without ANY traffic - yeah like that is going to happen)

5. Beccaberry

You had me at wineries :)

Cheers for the link, Dan, I'll bookmark it for later!

Watchinherskip likes this.
  6. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Dan, if you can get to Skyline Drive in 30-40 minutes please let me know how. I'm almost an hour away and I'm 25 miles from DC. Plus with DC traffic will also depend on day of the week and time of day.

7. Watchinherskip

I guess we stayed outside of DC on 66, guess that was it. I think with any of DC traffic all bets are off. You may need a calendar rather than a watch to measure your progress.

uscwest likes this.
  8. uscwest

The Washington Monument reopened yesterday for the first time following the earthquake 3 years ago.

9. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

ok so next question, it's DW's birthday whilst we're in Washington and I'd like to go somewhere really nice for a birthday meal. Any suggestions?

10. Beccaberry

There's a Ruth's Chris on 9th St., I believe (or at least there used to be).

I can't remember, does Helen enjoy seafood?

11. Watchinherskip

There are a ton of Virginia wineries that are between DC and Charlottesvile, VA. You could opt to have a little tour at Ducard's or the King Family winery. If you would like a taste of traditional good American food, not very fancy, but wonderful you could opt to have a lunch or dinner at Graves Mountain Lodge. It is about 100 miles out of DC...why am I trying to lead you away from DC...not a clue, but you could get a feel for the beautiful country outside the city.

12. uscwest

Keith there is a plethora of fine dining in the Washington D.C. area. If you are looking for a steakhouse we have Ruth's Chris, Morton's (Their Prime Rib is outstanding, but they only have it on weekends), Smith & Wollensky, Charlie Palmer's, The Palm (Not only great steaks but also HUGE Lobsters. Last time I ate there I had a 4# one), Bobby Van's to name a few. If you like lots of different cuts of meat there are a couple of Brazilian Churrascarias (SP???); Texas de Brazil Churrascaria and Fogo de Chao. For Seafood, Boston Legal, Black Salt, Hanks Oyster Bar, and the afore mentioned Charlie Palmers, which are all highly rated to mention a few. Hope these help. If Ruth's Chris is up your alley I can highly recommend the one located in Crystal City, just across the River. Beautiful high up view of National Airport and the DC Skyline.

Watchinherskip and keith like this.