1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Thinking of a hire car next year

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by Oreo, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

I loved driving in America last year and I was tempted to book a car for next year but the cost blows that idea out of the water.

What are the restrictions when hiring a car regarding luggage and space in the car as I know it's slightly different to UK.

Has anyone got any tips to bring the price down, or can recommend a good company to use?

Any thoughts would be greatly received.

Thanks

2. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

For several years we have rented our car from Dollar where normally I managed to get a Dodge Charger which is probably my favourite so far. Because Dollar no longer have the Charger on their list, and more importantly, because I found that their fleet seemed to be getting a bit "tired", this year I switched to Alamo who say that they offer the newer cars than any rental company.

I booked it through their UK site and filled in the check in details on line before we left so that the collection process was a breeze when we arrived. Ok it wasn`t a Charger, but a fairly new Chevrolet Impala was available which we had, and it was fine. Their prices seemed very competitive also.

Not sure what you mean about luggage restrictions. :unsure:
    We had 4 large suitcases together with 3 or 4 carry ons etc. and one of the cases had to go on the rear seat, but the boot [trunk] took the rest with ease.

3. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

We were told last year that luggage could not be on show or placed on the back seat and you have to rent a car with a big enough boot for your luggae. This was fine with two of us but next year with four I see that as a struggle.

Was this info incorrect?

4. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

There is nothing to stop you doing this bit it wouldn't be advisable to leave things on show as there have been thefts reported. Unless there is something in your rental agreement that states if the car is broken into and you had luggage on view then you will be liable for broken windows etc.

The companies are well known to try and pressure you into upgrading and we usually find that the luggage space is slightly bigger than they state. Personally with 4 adults I wouldn't go much lower that a minivan or an intermediate SUV for comfort.

5. Slowhand

I never had a problem.
    At the garage I was simply directed to the area where the full size cars were parked and told to take my pick.
    I was then left to my own devices.
    At the exit, the lady at the desk checked that my paperwork etc. was all in order and she would have seen the suitcase on the rear seat but she never passed any comment.

6. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

There are no laws in the US that say that you cannot put stuff in the back seat, as long as it doesn't block your vision. I do it all the time. One time we booked a convertible and our luggage wouldn't fit in the boot so it all went in the back seat.

7. Funntheson

Funntheson Earning my ears

Priceline.com has some really good deals right now. I just rented a Premium car for two weeks for $410!

8. Funntheson

Funntheson Earning my ears

Rebooked through budget, using a combination of codes from retailmenot.com and the Entertainment book. I am down to $323 for a Ford Taurus or similar for two weeks. I am quite pleased with that price.

9. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

After commenting last night on a thread I've been looking at prices for a car.

When selecting platinum insurance with various providers it states additional drivers are included but doesn't give you the option to add them, is this normal?

Also can anyone recommend a company based at MCO or a company to avoid?

10. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

That's normal, you add the extra drivers when you collect the car.

We used Alamo last time and were directed to an aisle and told to choose. Took me ages. :lol:

You cannot carry alcohol inside the car, that must be in the trunk but apart from that, we had bags on the back seat. Wouldn't leave them in an unattended car but you wouldn't do that anywhere.

11. Slowhand

I always book my car through rentalcars .com who offer you their best deal from all of the major car rental companies based at MCO [no doubt there are other similar brokers too.]
    So far they have given me the best deal with Alamo, Dollar and Thrifty on the majority of our trips, all of which were fine and you are able to choose whatever car takes your fancy based on the size of car that you ordered.
    I reckon that you can`t go far wrong with any of the major companies based at MCO.

12. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I did notice that Dollar cars seemed to be older now than they have been in the past, as if they're keeping them for longer. Alamo seemed to have a much newer fleet.

13. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

Alamo advertise that they have the newest fleet of vehicles. I've found Dollar's vehicles seem older too. That's not a problem if they're well taken care of but, alas...

14. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Dollar cars are terrible, they all seem to have really high mileage as well.

We have used Dollar since we started going but after they down graded us last year and said nothing, then we have 2 trips back to the lot in MCO to exchange the down grade and then a faulty traverse, I think when we go next year we will try Alamo.

15. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

I've found an ok deal with Alamo however I did want to be able to take the car back on empty just because I'm lazy lol.

They want an extra £70 which is for the gold package which I feel is excessive.

Do you know if I am able to add the fuel option at the airport?

16. Wendy

You can normally pre-pay for the fuel at the desk and it is a lot less than £70, I don't know how much it is though :sorry: The £70 will include extra drivers as well, but is still a lot extra.

We are the same, we always like to take it back on empty rather than worrying about filling it before hand.

17. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

From my experience, if you take the fuel option in advance when you pick up the car the price is close to the price you would pay if you fill it up yourself so the cost would depend on the size of the fuel tank. If you don't pre-purchase the fuel option and still take it back empty it can cost your 2 to 3 times what it would have cost had you purchased the option or filled it up on your own.

18. Slowhand

That`s what I also thought BUT on our last trip we had a car from Dollar for the first 3 days before our cruise, and despite the fact that it wasn`t a Dodge Charger, it seemed much newer and with less miles on the clock than the one we had from Thrifty for the period after our cruise. :shrug1:

Wendy likes this.
  19. Wendy

Well that's good to know Terry. I'm a creature of habit and because we have always gone with Dollar in the past, it would seem strange going with someone else.

I'll see how people get on this year :)

20. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

I never choose the prepay for fuel option - it only works out reasonably well if you return the car completely empty and, as by others, if your car has a larger tank than allowed for by the rental company.