1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Thinking of a hire car next year

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by Oreo, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

We are normally driving to the airport on fumes :lol:

2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

There's a few points here...

1. They all have to get new cars SOMETIME so if you're lucky you'll get a brand new car from any of them ;-) but dollar in my experience seem to get new cars less frequently than they did and less frequently than alamo still do :(

2. the fuel thing... prebuying fuel alone whether at time of taking out the contract or at the airport has always been a little more expensive than buying a tank of fuel in my experience. Perhaps it's $60 v $50 for the tank. They're always going to do that because they're never going to use the cheapest price they can find and they're going to charge for admin in there. BUT often adding it on when making the reservation can include multiple drivers as well which actually often makes it a really good deal if you need another driver because trying to get THAT added at the airport often results in $10 a day or more.

I dont think there's a lot of difference between dollar and alamo in honesty and traditionally dollar has been cheaper for me BUT recently there are more alamo discounts such as alamo/brits etc which can make a big difference.

The other thing I like about alamo is their policy on tolls. Every time you rent they include their toll package which costs nothing unless you actually run through a toll in which case it's $2.95 fee per 24hrs (to a max of about $15 per rental period) + the toll. Now you have to work out if that's better value than just paying yourself ;-) or hiring sunpass but what it does mean is you don't get home and discover a huge fine+admin charge which you can with other companies.

Wendy likes this.