1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Thinking of converting to Mac - joining the darkside - how easy will it be?

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by Skywatcher, Apr 16, 2009.

1. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Well I potentially have a vested interest in that I'm selling a macbook pro so I'm having to try and hold back :lol:
  2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Not that I can add a single intelligent techno-geek thing to this thread, but I'll tell you that I have a Think Pad lenovo for work and I hate it. The only good thing about it is that there is no stinking vista to deal with.

I love Mac. :yes: It's fast, it's sexy, it's efficient and it's powerful. Play with them, get the feel of them and choose the one you like the best. We love the airbook, simply because it is so darn beautiful, but the Macbook pro is really a wonderful machine. :yes:

We shall be happy to welcome you into the arms of the Mac lovers here. :yes: It is an exclusive club now, mind! No drooling, sipping tea over the keyboard, or white out on the screen is allowed! :D

Good luck to you Chris. Once you go Mac, you'll wonder why you waited and you'll NEVER go back to the clunkers again. :hug2:
  3. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

Believe it or not the backlit keyboard may be very important as I will use it in pitch darkness and the second you use a torch on the keyboard bang goes 20 minutes dark adaption.

It looks fro my :geekon: other sites that 2-3 bits of software simply won't work on the OS of the mac and need to be run within a windows frame - but it looks doable - :unsure: does that mean I have to pay to buy windows as well then :unsure: ( or might it come installed on a previously owned mac :wink: :lol:)

The pro looks the best bit as I run a LOT of stuff at once from the lappy and 2 USB's will not cut it - if I can buy a card with 2 slots on then the no. of interfaces will then be 5 USB slots and a firewire which will be great as an external bus is a chaper soloution but its more plugs sockets and wires which , frankly I could do without.

I want to lick the macbook air as it is just gorgeous , but would be utterly useless for my needs
  4. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

:sigh: Isn't that the way? Well, you could have an airbook just to carry around and look sexy, yes? (The airbook I mean)!
  5. keith

I do believe it could possibly .. cough cough

We keep saying the same in work :( we all want a macbook air but we can't give up our macbook pros for one because the power, ports, drives just aren't there.
  6. Skywatcher

Its design over function, which is out of character presumably there is a fairly large dribble guard though :unsure:

OK it looks like my mind is being made up for me

Carpe Diem is not only the only philosophy for life I genuinely believe its going to solve the credit crunch as well :lol:
  7. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Oh joy! Welcome to the fold, brother!

I'll forward the instructions for the super secret handshake later.

Now, we just gotta finish working on Terry! :laugh2:

Tom :)macwave:... Apple certified evangelizing type person!)
  8. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

I think the airbook is a mix of both. It is fashionable- but it is SOOO functional aswell... If you imagine being an international business person who needs e-mails etc, how much easier would it be to have a macbook air instead of lugging around a 'fatter' laptop :yes: It definatley has a target market there :yes: Just perhaps the secrets lot aren't in that 'target market' :unsure: Another recruit :evil:

P.S ..... the mac-rumours forum has a great area called 'switchers' and there is loads of interesting reads about switching to a mac :yes:
  9. keith

The problem is that it doesn't even have an ethernet port :( I mean you can add a usb one but they're looking forward to a time where EVERYWHERE has wifi and unfortunately it doesn't right now.

So even if you're using it to travel around, you find you have to add some adapters and wotsits to be able to use it in all the places you want to.

I still want one :lol: but for the price, the compromises are just too great for me
  10. josh.p.

Ahh! That is the major down-fall then IMO. I think within a few years the whole contry will be wifi accesible! I mean... I went to spain and our hotel had free wifi... in a beach-type resort... why would anyone use it there?
  11. keith

on your iphone? ;)

I agree, everywhere will and indeed should be wifi accessible but for the sake of a cheap little component and a bit of space for the port, they're jumping the gun by removing it on this version of the airbook (as they were a bit too early removing the floppy drive, the modem etc.)
  12. Skywatcher

Yeah josh once the iPhone is within your mits you will be watching out for wifi spots ;)
    So on a totally unrelsted topic I sincerely hope your upgrade goes through smoothly Keith and more importantly quickly :D.
  13. keith

so noted sir :D
  14. Skywatcher

:unsure:

so, hows it going? :unsure:

:wink: :lol:

I am cursing myself to a year of cloudy skies
  15. keith

:laugh:

You'll just press the "clear sky" function button on the macbook pro and the clouds will part
  16. josh.p.

LOL- I was being sarcastic... I spent the whole holiday sunbathing and downloading apps at the same time. The wifi was really slow in both our room and the pool area- it was best used in reception (which was actually across the road) :yes: We did drink in a few bars that had a wifi zone too :yes:
  17. Skywatcher

Gasp - thats the dream :jawdrop: :laugh:

Truely I am a Mac convert

Ooo another daft question - what is the conversion like for word documents and powerpoint presentations :unsure: presumably I would just have to run office through the windows bit

Ooo and daft question no 2 - is it possible to run a programme in windows wils simultaneously running one on the mac os :unsure:
  18. Skywatcher

:dozey: Kids today tsk :rolleyes: :wink:
  19. keith

Well there isn't any conversion needed if you a) run MS office 08 for mac :) or b) run the windows version in the bubble

oh HECK yeah, wait till you see it. A screenshot is really needed but it's NOTHING like you'd imagine. Basically you have your mac deskop and on it are mac apps, and windows apps just sitting there running as if the machine understood both. You just click back and forth as you would and thats that
  20. Skywatcher