1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Question This DVC stuff :)

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by keith, Jan 12, 2014.

1. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I know I know, how many times will I ask the same question :D

I keep looking. Everyone who's ever bought it has said the only regret is not buying into it earlier. It feels like it would be good but then I look at the cost and the annual dues and end up thinking it's many years until it saves anything.

We prefer a villa these days BUT a few days each stay onsite would perhaps be nice. ESPECIALLY if I could stay at a BLT magic kingdom view or a nice grand floridian or even beach club for EPCOT access.

So.... a lot of people seem to buy 150 points. On average, for the lowest room type, how many nights would that be? I know it'll be different for each resort but are we talking 3 nights ish? 7 nights ish?

If you can use points to stay anywhere, is the ONLY advantage in paying $150 for GF over say $100 for elsewhere that you get first choice at the GF dates?

What exactly does the use year thing mean?

Say I had 150 points at Saratoga, how hard would it be to get dates at BLT? Do they somehow say "ok well 1 night at BLT would be 20 BLTpoints but it'll be 30 Saratoga points?"

2. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

i guess it would depend on what time of year you were going, high days and holidays I think you would have a problem. You can keep checking back though to see if people have cancelled so i believe

3. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I've noticed several people selling their DVC as the maintenance dues are ridiculous.

I can't help about the purchasing as I don't own

4. Lisa1976

Lisa1976 Addicted to Mickey

We have 50 points at SSR. Our dues are around $225 a year. It's only a small contract but it keeps our fingers in the pot so to speak. We always like to stay at different resorts and take up some of the refers like free dining so this works for us :)

5. keith

ok so that sounds interesting. Low points, low dues but potentially benefits like cheaper APs etc...

So, what do you get for your 50 points per year? I know you can't be exact but what on average?

6. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

Following this thread as we have become more and more interested over the last year or so...

7. Lisa1976

We love OKW (it's also the lowest points and less kids) and because we go off season we can normally get 3-4 nights at the 7 month window. You can also buy up to 25 points at (i think) around $15 per point if your a little short. We quite often borrow from the next year.

We are going this October and we haven't used 2013, so banked those to 2014 and know we aren't using next years so brought those forward it's giving us a nice 150 points which gets us 13 nights at OKW

8. keith

wow ok that's pretty impressive!

I guess you have some kind of guide book or online resource that tells you how many points things need? Can you tell how many points I'd need for a magic kingdom view at bay lake towers, off season, lowest room type?

9. Lisa1976

You have a DVC member log in and from there all point details, how many each year you have, any vacations booked, point charts etc. it's very good and very informative. You can even booked through that, I didn't even have to speak to anyone this time :)

I'll have a look at the charts Keith, give me a second.

10. Lisa1976

Does this help??

S - standard view
    L - lake view
    T - park view

[​IMG]

11. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

That is way less than the $4000 plus dues each year that I'm hearing about

12. keith

I went for a DVC show about ten years ago well before anything online I think and I said I needed to see the book with how many points before I'd book. It caused such a scene! Managers arrived trying to explain why I couldn't see. Finally they showed me the book for 5 mins and then took it off me. I assumed that with so much cloak and dagger it must be because the points needed were massive.

Some time later I was having dinner with an ex-dvc salesman who said it wasn't so much that as the book with all the charts confused people so much that they lost loads of sales when people saw it

13. keith

that's brilliant Lisa many thanks!

so 20ish points a night depending when we were there! That's actually a lot less than I expected it to be!

I like the ability to buy some more points too that sounds handy

14. Lisa1976

Hmm, I expect if you have hundreds of points then it could get pricey for dues. I think the dues are around $4.50 per point, at SSR anyway

15. keith

ok .... one thing.... a point at ss maybe I dont know $85 or something but a point at GF is $150 ..... do each of those points have the same buying power at another resort?

So for example, would someone with 50 expensive GF points still be looking at the same points spent for a BLT stay?

16. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

Lisa, many thanks for all the top notch info...keep it coming!

17. Lisa1976

Yup, that's right Keith. I think the reason the per point price is so high to buy in for BLT and Grand Floridian is that they are the newest and so close to MK.

But even if you own BLT it's still only going to cost say 11 points to stay at OKW per night.

Also if you specifically want to stay at your home resort each time and want the ability to book at 11 months to secure your reservation then that plays a big factor in where to buy. For us we don't care where we stay.

If you have the ability to buy out right and are only using for Disney I would buy resale, you get more points for your money :)

Beccaberry likes this.
  18. Lisa1976

If you book outside your home resort, so we own SSR but prefer OKW, we can only request it 7 months put and may not get it, but we're happy anywhere as long as it's DVC and as I said we go out of season so can pretty much get what we want or wait list :)

Beccaberry likes this.
  19. keith

It strikes me that as long as you're flexible in terms of where to stay or are going out of season anyway, it would make most sense to go for the lowest value points possible? I don't know where that would be but it could be a huge difference between the cheapest and most expensive.

of course if you know you're going to want to stay somewhere specific, BLT theme park view, then I guess yeah it may be worth the extra to buy points there to get the 11 month out booking window.

20. Lisa1976

If you look at The Timeshare Store selling for example, OKW 50 points is selling for $77 per point for $3,850 whereas 50 points at BLT are selling for $115 per point so $5,750. I know which I'd buy :)

As you say as long as your flexible with when you want to go and where to stay you can pretty much purchase points anywhere in DVC (obviously that'd have to be resale). If you really want yo buy through Disney them you only get the option of expensive BLT and GFV to buy.

There are lots of helpful tools in the members area of your DVC log in, you can now put a vacation in that you'd like, so say 4 nights BLT and as long as it's within the time scales (they tell you these on your page) and it will tell you if it's available, if not what else is. It's very handy :)